Post a reply

Re: Games Ronnie has mentally lost down the years

Postby Wildey

edwards2000 wrote:That's not the question I asked, Wildey. And you can't answer a question with a question.

I asked you when specifically was the last time an opponent turned up against Ronnie. Who was that opponent and in what tournament?

Ricky Walden in the Masters probably but he didn't have a chance Ronnie blew him away.

Now you answer my question

Postby edwards2000

wildey wrote:how many times has Ronnie turned up and lost?

Quite a lot. If turned up means playing well and trying. At his very best it has happened, but only a few times. The last time he lost when playing well was at UK Championship. He tried his best, couldn't get into his usual stride, and he was rightfully beaten by the better player (Bingham).

I'll go further and point out when he has played his best and never been beaten... World Championship and UK finals. 5 and 4 times. Unbeaten. Beating him in a world final has never been done, because with his A game, and the longer frame formats, he is just too damn good. It will take a herculean effort to ever beat him in a World final. He remains the only multiple winner never to lose in the final.

Postby Wildey

Some would argue in World Finals he hasent faced anyone Bar Higgins that was a credible opponent at the time

2004 Graeme Dott (in his first World Final )
2008 Ali Carter (his bunny in his first Ever Final )
2012 Ali Carter (his Bunny) was never going to win was he
2013 Barry Hawkins (in his first World Final)

do you get the picture hasent really been tested over 35 frames for 12 years.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:Some would argue in World Finals he hasent faced anyone Bar Higgins that was a credible opponent at the time

Who determines who is good enough for a final or not?? These statements are just so silly you know because you could probably play down everyones career then, lol.
Calling Carter just a bunny is a little bit funny as he beat many topplayers en route in 2008 and 2012. And the 2013 World Final was one of the greatest finals in terms of standard. Hawkins played great all week and beat Selby and Ding, two favourites for the title.

According to your logic you could even play down Hendrys achievements by saying that he played 4 times against his favourite "bunny" White and another final against Nigel Bond.

You've just got to realize that apart from peak Hendry and peak Higgins no one can really touch peak O'Sullivan, especially not in a best of 35 final. I would bet on O' Sullivan over anyone in such a final, including Higgins who played really great in 2001 but still lost to a superior O'Sullivan. When coming to finals he always seems to be stronger than usual. Stats are provin it (10:6 vs Higgins and 8:4 vs Hendry in finals).

And it doesn't surprise me that you didn't mention the UK finals because it refute your argument as he beat peak Hendry two times and then Doherty and Maguire. Next to that, he won all of his 5 Masters titles against the toughest guys you can get. And he totally destroyed all of them.

You know, reality is.Peak Hendry/O'Sullivan/Higgins > peak Williams > rest
It's as simple as that. You don't need to be a fan of one of them to realize this.
Last edited by TheRocket on 25 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:Some would argue in World Finals he hasent faced anyone Bar Higgins that was a credible opponent at the time

My god, you must be so jealous of Ronnie for some reason. Is it because his girlfriend is hotter than yours? Because you have no talent for snooker? Whatever the reason is, you should stop hating the guy, this is gettin embarrassing.

You do know a player has to win four matches to get to the final of the worlds right? And if a player reaches thefinal this obviously means he's playing great.

Never been tested my bottom. 5 world titles, 4 uk titles, 5 masters titles. 25 ranking titles...

There is not a player out there who hasnt been completely trashed and outplayed by O'Sullivan at at least one point in their career.

You must hate him so much wildey, you sad little man. Try to enjoy life a bit buddy. Go get your picture taken with Selby or something. Hendry, Davis, Reardon, White and many others agree Ronnie is the greatest. Just accept that Ronnie is at least one of the all time greats.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:For the Record i don't hate Ronnie. i just think some of his fans are a bit sickening.

Get a life.

im warning you goad a me and ill ban your bucking bottom

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:For the Record i don't hate Ronnie. i just think some of his fans are a bit sickening.

Get a life.

im warning you goad a me and ill ban your bucking bottom

Another limp-wristed threat from the forum nancy boy. <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

So sad that a grown man can act so childish and get so mad over a snooker player. There are more important things in life.

For the record I don't hate Selby or any other snooker player. I just think some of his fans are sad.

Postby Wildey

i wasent being persanal about him so what gives anyone the right to be personal about me or any forum member.

Holden Chinaski wrote:My god, you must be so jealous of Ronnie for some reason. Is it because his girlfriend is hotter than yours? Because you have no talent for snooker? Whatever the reason is, you should stop hating the guy, this is gettin embarrassing.

You do know a player has to win four matches to get to the final of the worlds right? And if a player reaches thefinal this obviously means he's playing great.

Never been tested my bottom. 5 world titles, 4 uk titles, 5 masters titles. 25 ranking titles...

There is not a player out there who hasnt been completely trashed and outplayed by O'Sullivan at at least one point in their career.

You must hate him so much wildey, you sad little man. Try to enjoy life a bit buddy. Go get your picture taken with Selby or something. Hendry, Davis, Reardon, White and many others agree Ronnie is the greatest. Just accept that Ronnie is at least one of the all time greats.

Had he posted this about any other Member on here id have already banned him

now get back to the subject in hand which isnt me or your banned

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski

Why can you think Selby Fans are Sad and others cant think Ronnie fans are Sad.

Lets call it a day before things gets ugly and agree to disagree.

Postby Holden Chinaski

You have a right to think some Ronnie fans are this or that. No problem with that. Just find it sad that you do not recognise Ronnie's greatness and have no respect for his achievements, and you find joy in trying to undermine his talent. It seems every victory Ronnie's had has no value in your eyes. This must be because of personal issues you have, because everybody in the snooker world acknowledges his obvious greatness.

Thats all now, time to move on.

Postby edwards2000

Wildey, you seem to be taking all this far too seriously. As the other poster mentioned, if you want to devalue Ronnie's opponents then you will have to severely devalue Hendry's too (have a good look at who he beat at the wc 1990-96). It seems to me that you simply can't abide Ronnie winning, and think there is a giant conspiracy by his fans against you, or snooker, or something.

Is it really hard to understand that the fear factor Ronnie has, and the pressure he exerts, he has worked hard to create? Players fear him for a good reason, and even then he has to turn up and play great to win. Barry Hawkins may have beaten any other player that year. Go and watch it again. Ronnie had to play at his best, a record century haul for a world final too. Barry was not going away. It was not a push over.

Ronnie sometimes makes the game look easy. Anyway, yeah, probably best to agree to disagree.

Postby The Cueist

Yes GJ !!!!!
Well said my learned friend .
Thus I am now aware who thy
Learned ( Hope he has learnt his lesson ,
That ripping people off is not a reson to
Ban half the members who post on the
Forum you run..
Friend is now . ROFL

That said I have myself found smart
To be very m6ch of the attitude of
Being a bit of a rubbish stirrer.

I thiink now on hindsight , Smart was not
Bei g very fair and knew the hassle his
Wrongdoings would cause.

I for one railed at our learned friend
I was angry at what he did , I now know
That he so badly wanted to sse his idol
That he took the risk and risked alll whilst being
Too young in the mind to realise the extent of his
Foolish moves.

He under estimated smart a d his prppensity
For stirring up.

I still speak to smart if he is on the forum
But I do know what he is like, I put it down to
His wicked sideof his humour , To be fair
Smart does not have a bad bone in his body
Just loves a good old wind up , Hence why we get on.
99 per cent of the time.

Well if it is ypu Dan , I am prepared to let bygones
Be bygones an hope you learned a thing or two
And put it down to experience as I will.

I cant speak for smart as I do t really hear from
Him via email anymore and I dont know if he is
Approachable to communicate with at this present
Time.

Well back to subject in hand , Ronnie has won everthing he could when he has been the better player.
When he has lost he has been outplayed and a few times self defeated.
Uk walkout v hendry
Ebdon world championship meltdown in2005
Uk championship v joe perry.

Every time he suffered a loss apart from the above 3 instances he was outplayed in my humble opinion.

Postby edwards2000

What is done is done. I regret some things, but banning the members is not one of them. I am much happier now I am not the admin or moderator of a general snooker forum. It's a curse, and a thankless job. In any case, the mass exodus led this site booming, and from what I have seen, the past members are far happier here than they were at Break off.

I am still not sure if I will stick around here, either. I am quite happy these days posting infrequently on my own forum. And to be honest, Snooker is not as fun for me these days as it used to be. If you want to let things slide, then do. I am not here to talk about the past or myself, I am here to post about snooker.

:mosh2:

Oh, and as a side note, in my opinion, "Smart" is mentally ill. Or perhaps that's just giving him an excuse for his behaviour.

Postby The Cueist

Ronnie always rises to the occassion nowadays
He is tough , Tough cookie gotten .

As an admirer of the talent and skill of this great
Player of the game this a great new found strength.

I know he is not everybodys cup of tea , He is just so
Good at the game he can be a tad arrogant sometimes.

Well if you have got it you may as well flaunt it
Higgins is gone , Williams gone , He should only have
Robertson , Selby , Murphy to fear.

Postby edwards2000

Oh Murphy is back... make no mistake about it, he will be in good form for the WC and is in with a chance. I don't think Ronnie would fear him though... Judd Trump would have been feared, but he doesn't have that extra bit of bottle, and I suspect the defeats he received knocked his confidence... like the final to Higgins in the World Championship.

Postby roy142857

Still can't quite believe what Ronnie did in the German Masters qualifying ..

There's two things Ronnie needs to control to dominate a tournament in my opinion - firstly himself, secondly the cue ball - for me as 'not a big fan' of any particular player, the latter is what I really admire about his play. I know people rave about the potting, playing speed, risk taking, etc. But the thing that always leaves me astounded when he's 'on' is the sheer control over the cueball, so rarely loses it even when taking on awkward pots.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

edwards2000 wrote:Oh Murphy is back... make no mistake about it, he will be in good form for the WC and is in with a chance. I don't think Ronnie would fear him though... Judd Trump would have been feared, but he doesn't have that extra bit of bottle, and I suspect the defeats he received knocked his confidence... like the final to Higgins in the World Championship.

Because he won 1 PTC?

Let me remind you Shaun Murphy has only won 1 ranking title since January 2009.

Postby edwards2000

No not because he won 1 PTC. Because I also predicted he would win a tournament straight after he mentioned his diet being much better. He's obviously trying a ton more in practice as well. He's made a 147 (again down to form, and only the second of his career), won the first tournament for over 2 years (that's significant, PTC or not), and he is playing as good as he used to.

All signs point to him being back in business. 2009 is the past... we are talking about now. Judging form isn't about the past, it's about the present. Judging trends and likelihoods is about instinct and form. Murphy is looking good at this moment in time, and is a very good prospect for the World Championship. And we'll all see how he gets on. :mosh2:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

edwards2000 wrote:No not because he won 1 PTC. Because I also predicted he would win a tournament straight after he mentioned his diet being much better. He's obviously trying a ton more in practice as well. He's made a 147 (again down to form, and only the second of his career), won the first tournament for over 2 years (that's significant, PTC or not), and he is playing as good as he used to.

All signs point to him being back in business. 2009 is the past... we are talking about now. Judging form isn't about the past, it's about the present. Judging trends and likelihoods is about instinct and form. Murphy is looking good at this moment in time, and is a very good prospect for the World Championship. And we'll all see how he gets on. :mosh2:

Well he was completely outplayed by Selby in the Masters only a month ago. But I agree there are signs he's starting a play a bit better again. However he's still a long way away from being a real threat to Ronnie at the Worlds.

Postby edwards2000

You're assuming Ronnie will meet him at the World Champs. No matter how good you are, or what your draw looks like, things can happen. Form can desert you for 1 match, opponent can play amazing. Like Steve James 1991 v Hendry.

So if Murphy brings his best and Ronnie doesn't, or they don't even meet, who's to say Murphy can't win it? I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying the signs are looking very good for Murphy and I wouldn't want to be in his quarter :P But a lot can happen from here to the World Championships.

Postby Andre147

edwards2000 wrote:You're assuming Ronnie will meet him at the World Champs. No matter how good you are, or what your draw looks like, things can happen. Form can desert you for 1 match, opponent can play amazing. Like Steve James 1991 v Hendry.

So if Murphy brings his best and Ronnie doesn't, or they don't even meet, who's to say Murphy can't win it? I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying the signs are looking very good for Murphy and I wouldn't want to be in his quarter :P But a lot can happen from here to the World Championships.

He certainly ups his game for the Worlds and the longer format suits him, but I'm with SO on this one and say it's still far too early to say Murphy will be a real threat at the Worlds. Like you said, a lot can change even from 1 match, so who's to say his game won't be in bad shape when the Worlds comes around...

The rel big threats no matter what form they have come the Crucible will always be Robbo, Ding and Selby, Trump a tad behind them. And even if an in form Murphy met Ronnie at the Worlds I'm certain Ronnie would up his game like he always does against him and you know Murphy too has a bit of a mental block against Ronnie when things get close in a match, so I would have no doubts about the outcome of a match between them at the Worlds.

But I hope you're right and Murphy brings his A game to the Worlds, he's wonderful to watch.