Post a reply

Re: Can Robbo make 100 tons this season ?

Postby PLtheRef

edwards2000 wrote:Because of the change in the number of frames played over the years, this stat is almost meaningless. Century rates provide the best evidence of break-building prowess, and the last time I looked it was Ding and Ronnie who headed that. The best century total statistic is that of the 3 Majors. Guess who tops that? Ronnie at the Masters and WC, and Hendry at the UK.

Inflating a century count will do nothing to improve Robertson's standing in the game. It just illustrates that we have far too many events on tour (many of them tinpot like this one, sadly). Why don't people like Dave Hendon and Taylor understand this?

How is it meaningless? Recent years has seen players playing the same formats. Apart from the Champion of Champions there's nothing new on the tour and he is well clear of the previous mark, as well as being unable to be caught this season in century tally

Never thought it'd happen, but you've got to fancy Robertson to make the 100 centuries now. Three and a half months left of the season to make 26 centuries with what has so far been an average of 11 a month

Would it not be ironic if he ended up on 99

Postby GJ

PLtheRef wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:Because of the change in the number of frames played over the years, this stat is almost meaningless. Century rates provide the best evidence of break-building prowess, and the last time I looked it was Ding and Ronnie who headed that. The best century total statistic is that of the 3 Majors. Guess who tops that? Ronnie at the Masters and WC, and Hendry at the UK.

Inflating a century count will do nothing to improve Robertson's standing in the game. It just illustrates that we have far too many events on tour (many of them tinpot like this one, sadly). Why don't people like Dave Hendon and Taylor understand this?

How is it meaningless? Recent years has seen players playing the same formats. Apart from the Champion of Champions there's nothing new on the tour and he is well clear of the previous mark, as well as being unable to be caught this season in century tally

Never thought it'd happen, but you've got to fancy Robertson to make the 100 centuries now. Three and a half months left of the season to make 26 centuries with what has so far been an average of 11 a month

Would it not be ironic if he ended up on 99

patrick :hatoff:

You would think robbo was playing lots of other events that no other players were allowed to enter :?

The lengths some go to bash robbo never surprises me <doh>

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Of course if he keeps playing in the tin pot CL Group after Group the 100 tons is inevitable...

Although his scoring has been tremendous so I think he deserves to reach 100 tons, a shame some of them have to be on CL but anyway...

It's a shame this tournament exists really. rofl

Absolutely.

But I also don't understand why Robbo keeps playing in them. Does he want to be burned out and flat again in the Crucible? All he's doing is massively inflating the century record books.

I Dont understand the concept of these Events at all.

Robbo has given the Shootout a miss though and i Guess he will miss the World Open too. but in january there's not much snooker played apart from this rubbish so burn out is never going to be a issue with these events.

robbo won his world open 128 match so that doesnt suggest he will skip it :wave:

Good point lol

Postby Roland

He's now up to 77. Question is will he do a tactical and lose out so he can play another group and get that figure even higher?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Match fixing allegations. :grrr:

Thats exactly why this format is wrong and honest to god i cant believe as Chairman of World Snooker that Barry Hearn is letting the sport integrity get in to Question by this Tournament on the back of the Stephen Lee fiasco.

it doesn't matter if player throw matches or not it just looks bad.

Postby Andy Spark

Come the World's he'll make 100 centuries in the season and be knocked out in the quarter final, then he'll complain of being burnt out.

Postby edwards2000

In fact, as I see it, making this many centuries is a sad indictment on the game (despite the fact Robbo is entering every tin-pot going). Snooker should be more challenging for something of this nature. It's gotten so mundane from the early 90s onwards to see century after century. Hendry and Ronnie (and others like Robbo) make a case for much thicker cloths being used. Snooker is insanely difficult, but for the pros it's become walk in the park to break-build along with the fact the standard now is superior.

Postby Roland

Yeah I know, even I knock in 10 centuries a week on those Star tables but struggle to get a 50 on the club tables.

Postby Roland

Andy Spark wrote:Come the World's he'll make 100 centuries in the season and be knocked out in the quarter final, then he'll complain of being burnt out.

I can see the first two happening. I also think Robbo is fully aware of the century record is going to spend the rest of this season going all out for as many as he can get and try to get to that 100 mark.

I think it does make a bit of joke counting CL matches in any stats, head to heads or centuries, as it's basically glorified practice sessions.

Postby Skullman

edwards2000 wrote:In fact, as I see it, making this many centuries is a sad indictment on the game (despite the fact Robbo is entering every tin-pot going). Snooker should be more challenging for something of this nature. It's gotten so mundane from the early 90s onwards to see century after century. Hendry and Ronnie (and others like Robbo) make a case for much thicker cloths being used. Snooker is insanely difficult, but for the pros it's become walk in the park to break-build along with the fact the standard now is superior.

I thought the part of the point of professional sport was to watch the best players in the world compete. I don't see how making conditions more difficult would help that. Maybe we should just keep the conditions the same and instead prevent all the pros from playing and only allow club players instead?

Postby edwards2000

Sonny wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Come the World's he'll make 100 centuries in the season and be knocked out in the quarter final, then he'll complain of being burnt out.

I can see the first two happening. I also think Robbo is fully aware of the century record is going to spend the rest of this season going all out for as many as he can get and try to get to that 100 mark.

I think it does make a bit of joke counting CL matches in any stats, head to heads or centuries, as it's basically glorified practice sessions.

That's why I look to the World Champs as the benchmark. As long as Barry doesn't make it a flat 128 draw, the stats will stay fair. Same as they have with the Masters (well, mostly).

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:In fact, as I see it, making this many centuries is a sad indictment on the game (despite the fact Robbo is entering every tin-pot going). Snooker should be more challenging for something of this nature. It's gotten so mundane from the early 90s onwards to see century after century. Hendry and Ronnie (and others like Robbo) make a case for much thicker cloths being used. Snooker is insanely difficult, but for the pros it's become walk in the park to break-build along with the fact the standard now is superior.

I thought the part of the point of professional sport was to watch the best players in the world compete. I don't see how making conditions more difficult would help that. Maybe we should just keep the conditions the same and instead prevent all the pros from playing and only allow club players instead?

The Best players would knock in centuries on a Carpet thick cloth.

i think making cloths thicker would help with eradicating Kicks a bit but i dont understand this Rubbish about some fans almost worried that Century records will get Blown out of the Water.......it doesn't matter one jot

Postby edwards2000

Wildey wrote:
Skullman wrote:

The Best players would knock in centuries on a Carpet thick cloth.

i think making cloths thicker would help with eradicating Kicks a bit but i dont understand this Rubbish about some fans almost worried that Century records will get Blown out of the Water.......it doesn't matter one jot

I would wager that they would have a bigger effect than that. I didn't say it would stop centuries. I also think heavier balls need to return.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

To stop any doubt I think if Robbo gets the 100 he needs to get record amount of tons in the wc as well. Would stop any talk about tinpot tourneys.

Postby Casey

With the number of tournaments these days, we will see players making 1000 ton's over the course of their career.

Ding might be the first to do it...

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Thats exactly why this format is wrong and honest to god i cant believe as Chairman of World Snooker that Barry Hearn is letting the sport integrity get in to Question by this Tournament on the back of the Stephen Lee fiasco.

it doesn't matter if player throw matches or not it just looks bad.

He probably thinks that most fans have no idea this tournament exists. <laugh>

Postby Skullman

Well 2011/12 and 2012/3 were just as busy as this season and the most other players could muster was 61. I think if Robbo manages it, it will be replicated but not for another few years by another player.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Well 2011/12 and 2012/3 were just as busy as this season and the most other players could muster was 61. I think if Robbo manages it, it will be replicated but not for another few years by another player.

Yeah, take nothing away from Robbo's superb scoring this season, the closest so far is Ding on 40, but they should get rid of this CL crap tourney, it just doesn't make sense anymore and much of that money could be used to increase the prize money of other events.

Postby GJ

Andre147 PGC wrote:Ronnie full of praise for Robbo's tons tally this season:

"It is fantastic really, it is insane what Neil is doing this season on the century breaks. It is probably the most phenomenal scoring in the history of the game.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other- ... O-Sullivan

Ronnie :spot on: :D :D

Postby Muppet147

GJ wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Ronnie full of praise for Robbo's tons tally this season:

"It is fantastic really, it is insane what Neil is doing this season on the century breaks. It is probably the most phenomenal scoring in the history of the game.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other- ... O-Sullivan

Ronnie :spot on: :D :D

Bit patronising really. But I suppose Ronnie can afford to throw Robbo a few compliments - after the serious beatings he has dished out to him.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:Bit patronising really. But I suppose Ronnie can afford to throw Robbo a few compliments - after the serious beatings he has dished out to him.

Yes, because Robertson has never beaten Ronnie. :|

Postby jojo

how many more he need ? if he need under twenty more he can do it if he have a strong run in the world championship however he will need to play the match situation first and not let the century target be at the front of his mind otherwise i can see him lose some frames from sixty odd up looking for the century and pushing the boat up