Post a reply

Re: Can Robbo make 100 tons this season ?

Postby Andre147

Yeah absoluely Sonny is advice from Hendry, the greatest breakbuilder in the game, is definately helpful and as we can clearly see it's paying dividends. And as you said we have to take our hats off to him, what he has done, knocking in century after century for fun, is nothing short of remarkable and will surely take a lot of beating to top the amount of tons he'll have when the season finishes. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

it doesn't Matter if you make 100 or 2 centuries its all about winning and on that score Neil Robertson isnt at all shabby having picked up 2 rankers that includes the UK Championship.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:it doesn't Matter if you make 100 or 2 centuries its all about winning and on that score Neil Robertson isnt at all shabby having picked up 2 rankers that includes the UK Championship.

You're right, the win is always the most important thing. If you won The World Championship, and never made a century the whole tournament, you wouldn't care.

And I agree that the amount of centuries scored in any one season, or over a person's career shouldn't be used to compare one player against another. It has as much to do with how many tournaments there are in a season as anything else.

But saying that, Neil Robertson won't give a monkeys about this if he becomes the first player to make 100 centuries a season, because it'll be a nice thing to achieve. In the same way, when a player makes a 147 they don't come out and say; "Oh well, the most important thing is I got 75, any ball after that means nothing." These things are nice things to be able to claim when your career is over, just as long as you take them in context. Nobody is claiming they are the most useful or important statistic in the world.

Postby Wildey

ill Guarantee you if Neil Robertson makes 100 centuries and not win another Trophy he will be sick.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:ill Guarantee you if Neil Robertson makes 100 centuries and not win another Trophy he will be sick.

You seem to be under the impression that people are prioritising this achievement over any other. They're not. Of course we're aware that Robertson would rather win The Masters and The Worlds and break down on 99, than win nothing and get 120 centuries. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You make it sound like getting a century of centuries is a terrible thing for a player to do because it isn't a trophy. Why can't they try to get both?

Postby Wildey

i just think the emphasis on making Maximums and Centuries are getting ridiculous now yes it all started with Hendry but its time its put in to perspective.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 PGC wrote:You make a very good point Andy Spark, it's not just because you can in theory have 100 tons in a season that suddently you're one of the best breakbuilders in the game, BUT you can't deny the amazing scoring power Robbo has had in recent times and who knows if he carries on like this for 1 or 2 more seasons for instance how many tons he'll have when he finishes his career. Hendry still leads I think the overall century rate, but as I said we have to take our hats off to what Neil has done so far this season, which has been simply amazing. Even a Hendry at his peak if he had this amount of tourneys in his heyday would be more than happy to what Robbo has done so far and keeps doing. :hatoff: Knocking in centuries for fun.

According to cuetracker:

Best century raters this season-minimum 100 frames played

1 Neil Robertson 7.83
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan 9.5
3 Ding Junhui 10.05
4 Judd Trump 11.83
5 Marco Fu 12.19
6 Mark Allen 13.14
7 David Gilbert 15.94
8 Mark Selby 16.79

Best Overall Career century Raters-min 1000 frames

1 Ding Junhui 11.1
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan 12.33
3 Judd Trump 13.75
4 Neil Robertson 14.19
5 Stephen Hendry 15.13
6 Marco Fu 15.16
7 Mark Selby 15.99
8 Mark Allen 16.4
9 John Higgins 16.75
Obviously the overall career rate is of minimal meaning for those that carry on well into decline or are retired like Hendry, but a useful guide for those that are in their prime years. Another point is that these days it is arguably easier to make century breaks for top players as they play lowly ranked opposition far more frequently. This will skew the recent seasonal rates to more impressive figures.
Last edited by Andy Spark on 10 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:According to cuetracker:

Best century raters this season-minimum 100 frames played

1 Neil Robertson 7.83
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan 9.5
3 Ding Junhui 10.05
4 Judd Trump 11.83
5 Marco Fu 12.19
6 Mark Allen 13.14
7 David Gilbert 15.94
8 Mark Selby 16.79

Best Overall Career century Raters-min 1000 frames

1 Ding Junhui 11.1
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan 12.33
3 Judd Trump 13.75
4 Neil Robertson 14.19
5 Stephen Hendry 15.13
6 Marco Fu 15.16
7 Mark Selby 15.99
8 Mark Allen 16.4
9 John Higgins 16.75
Obviously the overall career rate is of minimal meaning for those that carry on well into decline or are retired like Hendry, but a useful guide for those that are in their prime years.

Wildey wrote:i just think the emphasis on making Maximums and Centuries are getting ridiculous now yes it all started with Hendry but its time its put in to perspective.

Yeah, okay. Maybe you make a point. <laugh>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 10 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:i just think the emphasis on making Maximums and Centuries are getting ridiculous now yes it all started with Hendry but its time its put in to perspective.

According to the stats the best century raters clearly still show the best players.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:

According to the stats the best century raters clearly still show the best players.

who bloody cares? <doh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:who bloody cares? <doh>

How will we know whether a player is good or not, unless we have lists of stats? <laugh>

Barry Pinches and Nigel Bond turned pro in the same season 1989/90 season Pinches has122 and Bond 109 Centuries. Who has had the best career?

Ryan Day has 206 Graeme Dott only 157 Who is the most successful player?

Robin Hull hardly played on TV has 118 Centuries to his Name

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Barry Pinches and Nigel Bond turned pro in the same season 1989/90 season Pinches has122 and Bond 109 Centuries. Who has had the best career?

It was a joke... :roll:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Barry Pinches and Nigel Bond turned pro in the same season 1989/90 season Pinches has122 and Bond 109 Centuries. Who has had the best career?

It was a joke... :roll:

I Know it was a joke from you but there are a few that think more centuries you make the better player you are.

Postby Skullman

I don't know about the others, but I'm working on the assumption that the more centuries you make the better breakbuilder you are.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:I don't know about the others, but I'm working on the assumption that the more centuries you make the better breakbuilder you are.

i wouldn't class Robbo or Trump in the categories of Best Breakbuilders in the Game today Ronnie, Higgins Ding and Selby are better Break builders than thoes two players.

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:I don't know about the others, but I'm working on the assumption that the more centuries you make the better breakbuilder you are.

i agree
<ok>

how else can it be determined :shrug:

Postby GJ

wild

mate its all about winning titles that is robbos goal but breaking records is an added bonus. :hatoff:

as hendo fan would say it adds the cherry on top of the cake <laugh> :D

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

World Snooker ‏@WorldSnooker1

Yet another century for Neil Robertson at the CLS, that's 72 for the season. If he makes 100 tons this season that would be extraordinary.

Postby Andre147

Of course if he keeps playing in the tin pot CL Group after Group the 100 tons is inevitable...

Although his scoring has been tremendous so I think he deserves to reach 100 tons, a shame some of them have to be on CL but anyway...

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 PGC wrote:Of course if he keeps playing in the tin pot CL Group after Group the 100 tons is inevitable...

Although his scoring has been tremendous so I think he deserves to reach 100 tons, a shame some of them have to be on CL but anyway...

It's a shame this tournament exists really. rofl

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Of course if he keeps playing in the tin pot CL Group after Group the 100 tons is inevitable...

Absolutely.

But I also don't understand why Robbo keeps playing in them. Does he want to be burned out and flat again in the Crucible? All he's doing is massively inflating the century record books.

Postby Andre147

As I said, his scoring has been tremendous and no one can say otherwise, but this tin pot CL shouldn't exist really, it once made sense back when there were only about 6 rankers in a season, but nowadays it's completly pointless.

So as I said a shame some of those tons made in the CL will count to his total.

We can expect this CL to be still going for at least the next 50 years rofl

Postby edwards2000

Because of the change in the number of frames played over the years, this stat is almost meaningless. Century rates provide the best evidence of break-building prowess, and the last time I looked it was Ding and Ronnie who headed that. The best century total statistic is that of the 3 Majors. Guess who tops that? Ronnie at the Masters and WC, and Hendry at the UK.

Inflating a century count will do nothing to improve Robertson's standing in the game. It just illustrates that we have far too many events on tour (many of them tinpot like this one, sadly). Why don't people like Dave Hendon and Taylor understand this?

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Absolutely.

But I also don't understand why Robbo keeps playing in them. Does he want to be burned out and flat again in the Crucible? All he's doing is massively inflating the century record books.

I Dont understand the concept of these Events at all.

Robbo has given the Shootout a miss though and i Guess he will miss the World Open too. but in january there's not much snooker played apart from this rubbish so burn out is never going to be a issue with these events.

Postby Wildey

edwards2000 wrote:Because of the change in the number of frames played over the years, this stat is almost meaningless. Century rates provide the best evidence of break-building prowess, and the last time I looked it was Ding and Ronnie who headed that. The best century total statistic is that of the 3 Majors. Guess who tops that? Ronnie at the Masters and WC, and Hendry at the UK.

Inflating a century count will do nothing to improve Robertson's standing in the game. It just illustrates that we have far too many events on tour (many of them tinpot like this one, sadly). Why don't people like Dave Hendon and Taylor understand this?

Century rates for Hendry and Davis has gone down a hell of a lot in the last 10 years so that's just as meaningless.

Stats full stop are meaningless because they can be manipulate to any way of thinking.

why should Robbo make 70+ equate to too many tournaments thats just stupid more events the better and if Robbo tops 200 centuries in season 2016/2017 with 50 ranking events good on him.

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Absolutely.

I Dont understand the concept of these Events at all.

Robbo has given the Shootout a miss though and i Guess he will miss the World Open too. but in january there's not much snooker played apart from this rubbish so burn out is never going to be a issue with these events.

robbo won his world open 128 match so that doesnt suggest he will skip it :wave:

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Absolutely.

their best of 5's so match practice no different than him putting in 6 hours at his club :wave:

and he was on 60 before cl so please lets not overinflate how many the cl ones count to his overall tally :roll:

Postby GJ

edwards2000 wrote:Because of the change in the number of frames played over the years, this stat is almost meaningless. Century rates provide the best evidence of break-building prowess, and the last time I looked it was Ding and Ronnie who headed that. The best century total statistic is that of the 3 Majors. Guess who tops that? Ronnie at the Masters and WC, and Hendry at the UK.

dave is a snooker expert so should be listened to , putting his name in the same sentence as taylor is a huge insult to mr hendon :irk: :mood: