Post a reply

Should Steve Davis be given a knighthood?

Postby SnookerFan

To be honest, I always thought it was a bit of a farce that sportsmen/entertainers could be given knightoods. It was always a high honour given to people who have contributed to British society, and I wonder if being successful at sport warrants such an award.

Saying that, as they do give out knighthoods to sportsmen for services to their sport, you have to wonder why Steve has never been given one. Showed how to be a top professional at a time where snooker players would nip out for a few pints before a match, dominated the sport in the 1980s, was still in the top-16 at 50 and still continues to play to this day. His services to snooker cannot be denied, and is still such an ambassador for the game.

So, should Steve feel put out that though he has been decroated with an OBE, he has never got the top honour?

Re: Should Steve Davis be given a knighthood?

Postby Wildey

Clive Woodward was given a Knighthood based on one tournament so on that Basis of course Steve Davis should be given a Knighthood over a Career that has Lasted so far 35 years and a good decade of that at the pinnacle of the sport.

Lets put Steve in to context nobody at Olympic 2012 was as Famous or as successful as this man.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Clive Woodward was given a Knighthood based on one tournament so on that Basis of course Steve Davis should be given a Knighthood over a Career that has Lasted so far 35 years and a good decade of that at the pinnacle of the sport.

Lets put Steve in to context nobody at Olympic 2012 was as Famous or as successful as this man.

This is what I was thinking.

It shouldn't be taken too seriously, because it's pretty much all political. Knighthoods are given more freely to some sports than to others. Darts fans wonder where Phil Taylor's recognition is. Also, there's only ever been one boxer in the history of the sport who has been knighted. (Though some others do have MBEs and OBEs.) Other sports have plenty of Sirs and Dames. So, it's all wankery at the end of the day.

But there's not much debate that Davis deserves it as much as any sportsmen does. :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Phil Taylor had a MBE and they took it away from him for a incident that happened in 2001 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1203738.stm

rofl My bad. Shouldn't use examples from sports I don't know much about.

My mate was whinging the other day that he hadn't won something, but it might have been Sports Personality Of The Year. <laugh> Slight difference.

Postby Witz78

Yes for definite, he was an icon of British sport and one of the most famous faces in the UK thru the '80s and since then has given so much service to the sport and created a great legacy, so is definetly worthy of a knighthood, and snookers first.

When you look at the amount of honours in other sports, snooker misses out.

There seems to be something of a modern fad to hand out honours willy nilly to people as soon as they achieve success, Wiggins was the classic example last year, great achievement but at least wait till a good few years after his career. Now if Mo Farah, Andy Murray, Chris Froome aren't knighted in the New Years honours, there will be no doubt be a backlash as to why they aren't being treated similarly.

But look back at others like Linford Christie, Daley Thompson, Barry McGuigan to name a few who were never knighted.

A good example comparable to Davis would be Nick Faldo who was knighted a couple of years ago a good while after his career and success ended. Steve Davis now deserves this honour too I feel.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Yes but it's not like it really matters.

yea he wont lose sleep over it