Post a reply

Re: Ronnie makes a call on match fixing

Postby Wildey

Trumpster wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:He's just always more than willing to contribute towards snooker's decline. If he's insinuating that this goes on all over he's discrediting and devaluing the game. If he knows someone who's at it then whistle blow gobshite. If not try to protect the game.

To be fair, Ronnie has floated WS for a long time. Events don't sell out if he's not there. He's put a lot of money into the pockets of everyone connected to snooker. Yes, he can flip at anytime. Yes, the fans love it, and so do the media. He's put snooker on the front page of the beeb today, because it's Ronnie. And because he's the GOAT, he's set the bar for standards of play, just as Hendry did before. He's certainly done more for snooker than everyone on here put together, who then s*** him off!

Rubbish hes shagged snooker up the bottom today

Sorry but there's no other way to describe the damage this man has done just by sitting on his bottom tweeting.

Postby gallantrabbit

If he's done a lot for snooker it's only cos of his talent, nothing else. There has never been any intention there. Recently he's done a lot more harm. You can count the examples on 2 hands.

Postby Witz78

Good on Ronnie for opening a can of worms with his comments today

of course he wont have "concrete" evidence like records of phone calls, bets placed etc but he'll have a fair idea from the grapevine and Chinese whispers (no pun intended) who or whats been going on, as will a lot of players.

Sooner there all weeded out the better

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Good on Ronnie for opening a can of worms with his comments today

of course he wont have "concrete" evidence like records of phone calls, bets placed etc but he'll have a fair idea from the grapevine and Chinese whispers (no pun intended) who or whats been going on, as will a lot of players.

Sooner there all weeded out the better

all hes done is create a grapevine.

No Proof

No Records

plenty of Snooker in the Press as a bunch of corrupt players and as if the Lee thing wasent bad enough taking the limelight away from the shanghai masters

hes done zilch for snooker under barry hearn and now hes just made things worst for hearn in attracting a real worth while sponsor for the world championship unless the players Ronnie tweeted about is outed and disciplined more hear say will not be good enough.

Postby Witz78

think this should be looked at as a watershed moment for the game

if there has to be a year of hurt and one step back to ultimately move the game forward properly then so be it.

no point trying to brush the Lee ban under the carpet and move on as if everything is rosy again

might as well get to the bottom of everything that's been going on in recent years and draw a line properly

I suspect its only the fact its Ronnie saying what he did that has garnered such a negative hostile reaction than if someone else had had the balls to open the can of worms

Postby Cannonball

Witz78 wrote:think this should be looked at as a watershed moment for the game

if there has to be a year of hurt and one step back to ultimately move the game forward properly then so be it.

no point trying to brush the Lee ban under the carpet and move on as if everything is rosy again

might as well get to the bottom of everything that's been going on in recent years and draw a line properly

I suspect its only the fact its Ronnie saying what he did that has garnered such a negative hostile reaction than if someone else had had the balls to open the can of worms

Spot on. The usuals suspects are slagging ROS again, even though he's generated huge interest in the game with his sabbatical, then WSC return, and got millions of kids to pick up cues in China. You'd think there'd be more respect for the man Hendry describes as the greatest ever.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:think this should be looked at as a watershed moment for the game

nobody said its rosy

but who are these players hes talking about what about some in shanghai this week if he had real balls he would call Hearn or Ferguson and name names and let them investigate it.

he has no balls and he will probably hide behind Bi Polar disorder again.

Postby Witz78

I hope he does name names and instances to get the ball rolling but I don't think he will because of the cliquey nature of snooker, even though hes probably on the periphery of it.

Plus hed look a tit if he did then no concrete evidence could be found, plus it would put him in a dodgy position amongst his fellow pros.

Anyway why should it be up to players to shop fellow players really ?

Postby Casey

SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan ‏@ronnieo147 No concrete evidence of match fixing in snooker But just like everyone one who works in an office they have a good idea who's shagging who.

<doh>

rofl rofl

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:As Hendon said, what Ronnie has done is the equivalent of throwing a can of petrol on a burning house. I'm sure he'll be held to account for his inflamatory comments.

Sonny :love: Hendon

Talking of the self proclaimed voice of snooker Hendon, I see hes having a go at Ronnie for stoking things by accusing players of match fixing but not backing up his claims, only for Hendon then be a hypocrite himself by saying he knows of instances from a tournament in Aberdeen he was at. Names please Hendon :john:

Postby Cannonball

Ronnie is absolutely flipping brilliant. A fifteen second burst on a keyboard on Twitter and everyone in world snooker is running around checking everything. Hilarious. Ronnie talks, Hearn jumps!

If Ronnie talks to the press and names names, for a vast sum (and editors will be chatting to him right now!), WS will be sitting on players that they can't fine/ban without solid proof, leaving the whole tour looking a fraud. It would only take a few bright sparks from here and China to organise a new, untainted tour. Folk on here can laugh and call it junk, but WS could be on the brink if this blows wide open. Here's the rub, ban and fine Ronnie and he may have even more incentive to talk. And there are a lot of players and mgrs who have an interest opposite to that of WS. WS has offended a lot of people. Folk on here said ROS couldn't win the WSC this year; I said he could. You heard it here first!

Postby Sickpotter

So many clueless ROS fanboys on here it's sickening.

What do you think will happen to sponsors with ROS alluding the sport is rife with corruption? You fanboys can be awfully short sighted :roll:

One gem......"ROS has done more for snooker than Davis and Hendry together" rofl rofl

He's certainly done more damage to snooker than Davis and Hendry ever did. Come to think of it I can't name a single incident in Davis or Hendry's entire career that would even come close to the charge ROS will face for his statements.

Incentive for ROS to talk......ROS has a signed contract that says he has a duty as a professional to bring any cheating to the attention of the board.

Postby Cannonball

Sickpotter wrote:So many clueless ROS fanboys on here it's sickening.

What do you think will happen to sponsors with ROS alluding the sport is rife with corruption? You fanboys can be awfully short sighted :roll:

One gem......"ROS has done more for snooker than Davis and Hendry together" rofl rofl

He's certainly done more damage to snooker than Davis and Hendry ever did. Come to think of it I can't name a single incident in Davis or Hendry's entire career that would even come close to the charge ROS will face for his statements.

Incentive for ROS to talk......ROS has a signed contract that says he has a duty as a professional to bring any cheating to the attention of the board.

I remember lots of cycling fans saying that Armstrong was being persecuted and it wasn't good for the sport to raise questions about drugs.......

Postby Cannonball

Smart wrote:which is a cleaner sport: snooker or cycling

very hard question imo :wave:

Is any sport truly clean? Once you add money to sport, strange things happen.

Postby vodkadiet

Trumpster wrote:I hope they ban ROS for a long time, it will only give him, his mgr and other players and mgrs the excuse to start their own world tour. Of course, they won't ban him, because without ROS, snooker would be irrelevant. GOAT turns the tickets over.

Hendry retired 18 months ago.

Postby vodkadiet

I have just had a look at O'Sullivan's Twitter page. Twitter really brings out the ass licking fanboys. What I find hilarious is that brainless twerp giving his opinion on political matters. rofl

He should just stick to talking about snooker and running. Everything else is beyond his small mind. <ok>

Postby Roland

Even more amusing was Mark Allen saying Ronnie should do what he does best and play snooker and when he opens his mouth "crap just falls out". He obviously failed to see the irony.

SB sums up Ronnie's twitter comments pretty well here http://www.snookerbacker.com/2013/09/17 ... day-three/

I don't think Ronnie said it fully realising the impact it would have and recent tweets suggest he's taken in by one of the main snooker presenters when we were growing up (I'm a year older than Ronnie): David Icke. Icke has turned from goalkeeper and number 2 snooker presenter after David Vine, to the self proclaimed Son of God clad in turquoise shell suits to a major conspiracy theorist who believes humanity is in the control of giant lizards. Icke sees conspiracy and cover up everywhere, Ronnie probably thinks things are being covered up because he knows of instances of match or frame fixing during his career, or has been approached himself over the years, and probably felt a duty to "expose" and do the right thing to blow a conspiracy/cover up as he sees it.

The problem now lies in people believing that World Snooker are covering up and hiding things under the carpet. The current administration weren't in charge when most of this went on so they are not to blame for it, they have changed the culture since taking over and are moving forward. Barry Hearn stated that any player or their associates - close friends and family - caught betting on snooker would be dealt with by the player being kicked out of the game. All the players know this including some who would've thought "buck me, I'd better get my head down and play clean from now on" so what good would it do World Snooker to investigate historic cases of match fixing based on heresay without an official complaint or fresh evidence? They want to grow the game and attract sponsors and to do that they want sponsors to believe the game is clean, which 99% of the time it is. Who knows if Lee would've been done had he not raised suspicion by trying to throw that last frame against Higgins in the Premier League. As soon as he did that, bam, banned, and now we know why, and now we know why they didn't even bother wasting money on investigating that match.

I've heard many rumours of matches being fixed, but they were all before Hearn took over and I've actually forgotten which matches they were and who was involved (shows how much I care although Michie was one and I know of another who isn't a pro any more) but the name which always came up most was Lee.

The other thing which came up was round robin / league type events (like the Malta Cup in the Lee case), particularly with the dead games they throw up. This format has now gone, apart from the Championship League and I for one would never bet on a Championship League match. Would you? The incentive to win the most money is to lose the final of each group. Say no more.

So the damage Ronnie has done is to get his many fans and the snooker public speculating about things which happened years ago and are no longer relevant, and believing it's still the same today. I would be more concerned with information relating to matches SINCE Hearn took over, not before. Draw a line under before, accept that the mentality of players was different back then and move forward and try to grow the game into new territories and try to attract sponsors and not try to get everyone thinking snooker is mostly corrupt when it's not. Of course in life you get your bad eggs, they happen everywhere and Lee was a bad egg who has got his comeuppance but snooker isn't rife with bad eggs, there may be one or two around but they'll get their comeuppance in due course.

As for the Thai players who are under particular scrutiny at the moment, I think their cases need to be looked at by the relevant bodies / police and speculation kept to a minimum because I do know that a lot of pros, although believing they lost on purpose, feel a lot of sympathy for them.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:Stephen Lee gets found guilty of match fixing and instead of that being the main story, people are discussing stuff that Ronnie said. His comments even gained more press exposure than the ranking event currently going on.

Good point SnookerFan.

One of the top players has been found guilty of multiple (!) match fixing charges which will almost certainly end his career and still everybody here talks about Ronnie. Ridiculous.

Postby Roland

I've seen someone on here say that if it was a player ranked 70 odd in the world, no one would take any notice. Fact is, they would and no one else has said anything remotely like what Ronnie said today. And he's the World Champion!

Postby Wildey

yea its just stupid to paint the tour before 2010 in the same light as today.

didn't john spencer when he was chairman encourage insurance bets on matches.

totally different mindset to today in every aspect of betting.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Stephen Lee gets found guilty of match fixing and instead of that being the main story, people are discussing stuff that Ronnie said. His comments even gained more press exposure than the ranking event currently going on.

Good point SnookerFan.

One of the top players has been found guilty of multiple (!) match fixing charges which will almost certainly end his career and still everybody here talks about Ronnie. Ridiculous.

Ronnie not getting enough publicity so he created his own....Sorry but the only Ridiculous thing about today is Ronnie O'Sullivan tweeting knowing full well what he was doing.

Pre Madonna.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie didn't do himself a favour by posting that tweet. He made allegations and now he's in a spot of bother. If he has evidence he should have gone to World Snooker directly, if he doesn't he can't write stuff like that on Twitter.

But this can't be the story of the day. The Lee case got the ball running and now we all should start talking about the problem of match fixing in snooker. Snooker isn't as clean as we all would like it be. Cheating is unacceptable. But Ronnie is just the messenger here.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie didn't do himself a favour by posting that tweet. He made allegations and now he's in a spot of bother. If he has evidence he should have gone to World Snooker directly, if he doesn't he can't write stuff like that on Twitter.

But this can't be the story of the day. The Lee case got the ball running and now we all should start talking about the problem of match fixing in snooker. Snooker isn't as clean as we all would like it be. Cheating is unacceptable. But Ronnie is just the messenger here.

yesterday it was a triumph for right over Wrong.

Today the finger of suspicion is pointed at every snooker player that gets beat and believe me there's Journos out there that cant believe their Luck Today.

Postby Cannonball

Not a Twitter fan, but yesterday's people (on here) don't realise the power of media. ROS will get more comments from individuals about a snooker remark in one hour than this site will get in a month. And it's easy to see why. This thread is full of bile towards Ronnie. But in the wider public and amongst snooker fans and players, he's a hero. A lot of haters have problems accepting that ROS is bigger than all the other players in the sport combined to both the public and media. The column inches he produces is the proof. Yes, Lee is guilty but folk want to know what the god of snooker thinks. You may not like that, but you won't change it.

One man has usurped the game, the first to do so. Laugh all you want, but someone or something has to give now, and snooker won't be the same afterwards.
Last edited by Cannonball on 18 Sep 2013, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Even more amusing was Mark Allen saying Ronnie should do what he does best and play snooker and when he opens his mouth "crap just falls out". He obviously failed to see the irony.

SB sums up Ronnie's twitter comments pretty well here http://www.snookerbacker.com/2013/09/17 ... day-three/

I don't think Ronnie said it fully realising the impact it would have and recent tweets suggest he's taken in by one of the main snooker presenters when we were growing up (I'm a year older than Ronnie): David Icke. Icke has turned from goalkeeper and number 2 snooker presenter after David Vine, to the self proclaimed Son of God clad in turquoise shell suits to a major conspiracy theorist who believes humanity is in the control of giant lizards. Icke sees conspiracy and cover up everywhere, Ronnie probably thinks things are being covered up because he knows of instances of match or frame fixing during his career, or has been approached himself over the years, and probably felt a duty to "expose" and do the right thing to blow a conspiracy/cover up as he sees it.

The problem now lies in people believing that World Snooker are covering up and hiding things under the carpet. The current administration weren't in charge when most of this went on so they are not to blame for it, they have changed the culture since taking over and are moving forward. Barry Hearn stated that any player or their associates - close friends and family - caught betting on snooker would be dealt with by the player being kicked out of the game. All the players know this including some who would've thought "buck me, I'd better get my head down and play clean from now on" so what good would it do World Snooker to investigate historic cases of match fixing based on heresay without an official complaint or fresh evidence? They want to grow the game and attract sponsors and to do that they want sponsors to believe the game is clean, which 99% of the time it is. Who knows if Lee would've been done had he not raised suspicion by trying to throw that last frame against Higgins in the Premier League. As soon as he did that, bam, banned, and now we know why, and now we know why they didn't even bother wasting money on investigating that match.

I've heard many rumours of matches being fixed, but they were all before Hearn took over and I've actually forgotten which matches they were and who was involved (shows how much I care although Michie was one and I know of another who isn't a pro any more) but the name which always came up most was Lee.

The other thing which came up was round robin / league type events (like the Malta Cup in the Lee case), particularly with the dead games they throw up. This format has now gone, apart from the Championship League and I for one would never bet on a Championship League match. Would you? The incentive to win the most money is to lose the final of each group. Say no more.

So the damage Ronnie has done is to get his many fans and the snooker public speculating about things which happened years ago and are no longer relevant, and believing it's still the same today. I would be more concerned with information relating to matches SINCE Hearn took over, not before. Draw a line under before, accept that the mentality of players was different back then and move forward and try to grow the game into new territories and try to attract sponsors and not try to get everyone thinking snooker is mostly corrupt when it's not. Of course in life you get your bad eggs, they happen everywhere and Lee was a bad egg who has got his comeuppance but snooker isn't rife with bad eggs, there may be one or two around but they'll get their comeuppance in due course.

As for the Thai players who are under particular scrutiny at the moment, I think their cases need to be looked at by the relevant bodies / police and speculation kept to a minimum because I do know that a lot of pros, although believing they lost on purpose, feel a lot of sympathy for them.

Seems to be a few double standards here Sonny

So the Thai players if they were actually cheating should just be looked upon sympathetically (on the basis there young? Or cos there miles away from home? Or cos they aren't earning much? )

Also Lee had to be dealt with severely though his guilty convictions related to matches pre the Hearn era, yet it seems your wanting to draw a line for anyone else who did wrong in that period?