Post a reply

Re: Ronnie makes a call on match fixing

Postby Wildey

Every case should not be compared to each other and judged on evidence and facts as presented.

the Ironic thing is without that Post Hearn PL Match against Higgins. Lee possibly would have got away with it and a Line Drawn after the CPS Dropped the case.

Postby Roland

Not double standards mate, just not wanting to say something which could get me in trouble. The Lee cases were investigated by the police, everyone knows that, yet he blatantly tried to throw a frame in the Premier League last year which caused WPBSA to ban him with immediate effect. This occurred in the Hearn era. If you did something say 10 years ago and picked up £500 for throwing a frame but have kept your nose clean ever since, does that mean you should be hunted down and exposed and kicked out the game?

I would guess that any players who have raised suspicion in the past and do so again will have their past dragged up, and rightly so. But I do think a line should be drawn starting from 2010 whereby unless new evidence comes up or the same player is involved in a new scandal, then it should be left alone in the interests of the game. Who believes that digging up the past and rooting out every instance of alleged frame or match fixing would benefit the game? It would be both expensive and it would lose sponsors and increase the frequency of snooker being in the sports news sections for the wrong reasons.

And about the Thai players, as I said before there's a difference between greed and fear. Lee lost frames and matches and cashed in for doing so, that's greed. Hypothetically if you knew you or your family were in danger if you won a match you'd been instructed to lose by people who scared you, what would you do? I feel sorry for TT in particular because he's a good young player with a future and I'll bet he just wants to get his head down and have an honest career and do as well as he can in the game but alas his name is already being dragged through the mud by people who don't know his circumstances and think he should be kicked out the game for life.

Postby Sickpotter

Trumpster wrote:Not a Twitter fan, but yesterday's people (on here) don't realise the power of media. ROS will get more comments from individuals about a snooker remark in one hour than this site will get in a month. And it's easy to see why. This thread is full of bile towards Ronnie. But in the wider public and amongst snooker fans and players, he's a hero. A lot of haters have problems accepting that ROS is bigger than all the other players in the sport combined to both the public and media. The column inches he produces is the proof. Yes, Lee is guilty but folk want to know what the god of snooker thinks. You may not like that, but you won't change it.

One man has usurped the game, the first to do so. Laugh all you want, but someone or something has to give now, and snooker won't be the same afterwards.

rofl rofl rofl

Please stop, your ignorance/fanboy mentality is just sad.

That fact that ROS's comment will "get more comments from individuals about a snooker remark in one hour than this site will get in a month" has nothing to do with him saying anything positive or people supporting him. Snooker lovers recognize the damage ROS does to the game with his ill thought out remarks and comment on it.

Snooker is not show biz and the concept of any press is good press doesn't not apply. Actors don't need to worry about sponsors.

No player has ever been bigger than the game and no player ever will be.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Sonny wrote:Not double standards mate, just not wanting to say something which could get me in trouble. The Lee cases were investigated by the police, everyone knows that, yet he blatantly tried to throw a frame in the Premier League last year which caused WPBSA to ban him with immediate effect. This occurred in the Hearn era. If you did something say 10 years ago and picked up £500 for throwing a frame but have kept your nose clean ever since, does that mean you should be hunted down and exposed and kicked out the game?

And about the Thai players, as I said before there's a difference between greed and fear. Lee lost frames and matches and cashed in for doing so, that's greed. Hypothetically if you knew you or your family were in danger if you won a match you'd been instructed to lose by people who scared you, what would you do?

That's entering the realms of fantasy

First point if someone is taking backhanders to throw matches it's difficult to believe they'd do it once . The betting syndicate would have dirt on that player such as phone records etc and the player would then be open to all types of blackmail as in " Lose your next match 2-5 or else we'll expose you " You do it once you've opened Pandora's box

Second point if we start excusing players because they were frightened for their lives rather than just greedy then where is that going to end ? There's a high profile case going on in Peru at the moment involving two drug mules who claim they were forced in to smuggling drugs because of some international drug cartel threatning the lives of their family , yeah sure they did . If you parakeet you parakeet and if you get caught the motive for it is unimportant , you got caught you get the punishment end off

Postby Roland

Well those girls who smuggled drugs are using a cover story for starters although if true I'd let them walk if I had anything to do with it.

Regarding what to do about such fixing, that's the difficult one. Obviously it can't carry on but that's why I say leave it to the police. You have to feel sympathy though surely. There's no way those Thai kids would want to lose and drop ranking points and make it harder for themselves to stay on tour. The fact they knew that everyone knew, and World Snooker even putting one of them on the streamed table and that they STILL went ahead and lost should demonstrate the element of fear, especially if they were making no disguise of the fact they were trying to lose. Just look at Passakorn's live scoring match stats on Love Snooker as an example, just from that you can see he's trying to lose. Why would you do that if you knew World Snooker were watching? Cry for help or born corrupt?

Postby Muppet147

Smart wrote:born corrupt. :clap:

Thailand should be banned from all snooker tournaments unless each player undertakes a lie detector test to prove he is playing to win. Time to get tough - snooker has an awful reputation, become a joke sport. :clap:

You are a joke poster.

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:born corrupt. :clap:

Thailand should be banned from all snooker tournaments unless each player undertakes a lie detector test to prove he is playing to win. Time to get tough - snooker has an awful reputation, become a joke sport. :clap:

You are a joke poster.

Take your medication idiot......in fact take 4 times the dosage, just for luck. :wave:

Postby Cannonball

Given that a few on here aren't really up to speed, could we have a dedicated thread that repeats each of Ronnie's Twitter output as they happen please? He's the GOAT, the no.1 showman in the sport's history, as well as being its most talented son, the main draw, the house filler. So it's not an unreasonable request.

Postby Wildey

Trumpster wrote:Given that a few on here aren't really up to speed, could we have a dedicated thread that repeats each of Ronnie's Twitter output as they happen please? He's the GOAT, the no.1 showman in the sport's history, as well as being its most talented son, the main draw, the house filler. So it's not an unreasonable request.

there's a dedicated threads and forum suitable for you here already http://rocketronnie.net/index.php?sid=7 ... ea080d4dd9

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Trumpster wrote:Given that a few on here aren't really up to speed.

Oh dear it's back to drugs rofl

Has Ronnie tweeted that he's retiring again . ? :parrot: :

Postby snooker_loopy

You gotta love Ronnie. People are in awe of his talent, his incredible gift for making century breaks, for his amazing snooker brain, but oh boy, he can be a right plonker with his mouth!

"No concrete evidence of match fixing in snooker But just like everyone one who works in an office they have a good idea who's shagging who."

Classic Ronnie! <laugh> Comparing cheating snooker players with shagging. Heh.

Only Mark 'I think the WC venue is a sh*thole' Williams would come out with a better or more inappropriate comment! :-D

Postby vodkadiet

The GOAT Stephen Hendry would never bring the game into disrepute. Unfortunately O'Sullivan hasn't any class and this latest episode just shows what a CHAV(Chigwell Average)he is. <ok>

Postby Roland

Not Ronnie wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan Statement

I would like to clarify the comments that I made on Twitter 17th September as they were an instant reaction to an issue which I feel strongly about, namely the integrity of my sport.

The news about Stephen Lee's match-fixing case was eye-opening to all players on the circuit, and sends out a clear message to any would-be cheats.

I fully support this decision and commend the WPBSA for taking positive action in this case.

My reference to players throwing matches was out of context in that I was referring back to rumours from many years ago when there were only a few tournaments on the circuit.

The snooker circuit calendar is now full of tournaments all year round and has undoubtedly been cleaned up since World Snooker was taken over by Barry Hearn, and I do not want my comments to leave a damaging mark on the game.

These days, players are aware that procedures are in place for monitoring and identifying unusual betting patterns, and combined with the Stephen Lee decision, these act as a significant deterrent to potential cheats.

If I were aware of match-fixing, I understand that it would be up to me to report any fears to the Association.

I have no intention of undermining the integrity of the sport that I love and enjoy participating in so much and firmly believe that my tweets were taken out of context.

Now let's play snooker!

Damage limitation. Full marks to whoever wrote that.

Postby Sickpotter

Trumpster wrote:Given that a few on here aren't really up to speed, could we have a dedicated thread that repeats each of Ronnie's Twitter output as they happen please? He's the GOAT, the no.1 showman in the sport's history, as well as being its most talented son, the main draw, the house filler. So it's not an unreasonable request.

He's not the GOAT, he's in the top 5.

He's not the no.1 showman in the history of snooker, that was Alex Higgins.

He's arguably the most naturally talented player but cases can be made for Higgins in this arena as well.

Your request is a waste of space, go join Twitter to see the digital drivel ROS emits. <ok>

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Well said Sickpotter . The Hurricane would also stick two fingers up at authority . That ghost written statement from O Sullivan sums up the self pitying attitude of the Rocket

Postby Wildey

He should think before Typing like many of us me included nobody knows how easy it is to get carried away with a Keyboard than me so hes cleared it up so Let put a line under the whole sorry thing and as he or whoever Put it Lets Play Snooker.

Postby Smart

Wildey wrote:He should think before Typing like many of us me included nobody knows how easy it is to get carried away with a Keyboard than me so hes cleared it up so Let put a line under the whole sorry thing and as he or whoever Put it Lets Play Snooker.

can I play pool and be an alcoholic instead :wave:

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, his retraction is up on the BBC Website now. Headline news.

One of these days they might get round to discussing the Shanghai Masters. rofl

When's the Shanghai Masters on?

Postby vodkadiet

Pathetic from Rigsby. He cannot stand by what he said. For all his bravado, he is nothing but a grovelling little whimp. Gutless Chav.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:He should think before Typing like many of us me included nobody knows how easy it is to get carried away with a Keyboard than me so hes cleared it up so Let put a line under the whole sorry thing and as he or whoever Put it Lets Play Snooker.

rofl

Ronnie should be your new hero.

Postby Alpha

PLtheRef wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, his retraction is up on the BBC Website now. Headline news.

One of these days they might get round to discussing the Shanghai Masters. rofl

When's the Shanghai Masters on?

What's the Shanghai Masters?

Postby SnookerFan

Alpha wrote:What's the Shanghai Masters?

It's a conference they have in Shanghai, where a bunch of players come together to have a look at what Ronnie wrote on Twitter.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Alpha wrote:What's the Shanghai Masters?

It's a conference they have in Shanghai, where a bunch of players come together to have a look at what Ronnie wrote on Twitter.

rofl