Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan Sr. released. Help or hindrance?

Postby Tubberlad

Just for the record, in my opinion:

1. Stephen Hendry

2. Ronnie O'Sullivan

3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis

5. Mark Williams
6. Ray Reardon
7. Alex Higgins
8. Jimmy White

9. John Parrott
10. Joe Davis (basing this more on his standing than anything else)

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:Just for the record, in my opinion:

1. Stephen Hendry

2. Ronnie O'Sullivan

3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis

5. Mark Williams
6. Ray Reardon
7. Alex Higgins
8. Jimmy White

9. John Parrott
10. Joe Davis (basing this more on his standing than anything else)

OK Heres mine (And im basing this on 50% achievments and 50% talent btw)

1= Stephen Hendry
1= Ronnie O'Sullivan

3= Alex Higgins
3= Steve Davis

5. Jimmy White
6. John Higgins

7. Ray Reardon
8. Mark Williams

9.Joe Davis

10. Cliff Thorburn

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:OK Heres mine (And im basing this on 50% achievments and 50% talent btw)

1= Stephen Hendry
1= Ronnie O'Sullivan

3= Alex Higgins
3= Steve Davis

5. Jimmy White
6. John Higgins

7. Ray Reardon
8. Mark Williams

9.Joe Davis

10. Cliff Thorburn

i proberbly agree with your list witz

Postby Casey

Witz, I am liking how high Alex is up on your list. Bags full of natural talent, sadly ahead of his time, his game would be far better suited to today’s playing field and I think he would stand a chance of winning more.

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:Witz, I am liking how high Alex is up on your list. Bags full of natural talent, sadly ahead of his time, his game would be far better suited to today’s playing field and I think he would stand a chance of winning more.

Yeh having viewed a lot of footage of Alex recently, im starting to re-assess my opinion of Alexs true level of ability.

I dont honestly think he was far off Ronnies level. Obviously the game was different then and winning in 1 frame visits werent what the game was all about. Higgins positional play wasnt great, but thats what made him more exciting to watch, he always knew hed the ability to rattle in the pits from anywehre, no better illustrated than in his legendary 69 break v White in 82.

Higgins had 100x more problems than Ronnie with a major battle agaisnt alcoholism, bouts of depression too, relationship problems, run ins with the law and WPSBA officials on an almost weekly basis hampering his career prospects.

To think he could play so well under the influence, and with his twitchy cue action is amazing.

If Ronnie struggles these days against players who play negative, imagine what it was like for Alex battling it out with the likes of Charlton, Griffiths, Thorburn and numerous other hit and run, safety tacticians of the game.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Witz, I am liking how high Alex is up on your list. Bags full of natural talent, sadly ahead of his time, his game would be far better suited to today’s playing field and I think he would stand a chance of winning more.

Yeh having viewed a lot of footage of Alex recently, im starting to re-assess my opinion of Alexs true level of ability.

I dont honestly think he was far off Ronnies level. Obviously the game was different then and winning in 1 frame visits werent what the game was all about. Higgins positional play wasnt great, but thats what made him more exciting to watch, he always knew hed the ability to rattle in the pits from anywehre, no better illustrated than in his legendary 69 break v White in 82.

Higgins had 100x more problems than Ronnie with a major battle agaisnt alcoholism, bouts of depression too, relationship problems, run ins with the law and WPSBA officials on an almost weekly basis hampering his career prospects.

To think he could play so well under the influence, and with his twitchy cue action is amazing.

If Ronnie struggles these days against players who play negative, imagine what it was like for Alex battling it out with the likes of Charlton, Griffiths, Thorburn and numerous other hit and run, safety tacticians of the game.

very good comment there witz, i couldn't agree more. he was amazing, shame he wasted it all

Postby Casey

[img]To think he could play so well under the influence, and with his twitchy cue action is amazing.

If Ronnie struggles these days against players who play negative, imagine what it was like for Alex battling it out with the likes of Charlton, Griffiths, Thorburn and numerous other hit and run, safety tacticians of the game.[/img]

This is very true, how did he pot them whilst the cue was flying about everywhere? So good to watch, its just a shame I missed his hayday and have to rely on old footage.

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

very good comment there witz, i couldn't agree more. he was amazing, shame he wasted it all

He was mainly a victim of his own doing.

But the WPSBA screwed him over, by freezing him out of the game in the early 90s. <doh>

Its a shame to see the frail figure of an old man he is now, at least he beat the cancer though <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Rocketron, he did not waste it all. If he did that, he wuld not have been World Champion twice, Masters champion & UK Champion. And look at all the great memories people have of him, they far outweight the bad ones.

Yes, he was famous for the off table stuff. But it's that clearance against White, his 83 UK Comeback and tearfully calling for his daughter after the 82 final he'll be remembered for.

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:Rocketron, he did not waste it all. If he did that, he wuld not have been World Champion twice, Masters champion & UK Champion. And look at all the great memories people have of him, they far outweight the bad ones.

Yes, he was famous for the off table stuff. But it's that clearance against White, his 83 UK Comeback and tearfully calling for his daughter after the 82 final he'll be remembered for.

I think he could have won alot more, thats what i meant. sorry

Postby Casey

rocket_ron wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Rocketron, he did not waste it all. If he did that, he wuld not have been World Champion twice, Masters champion & UK Champion. And look at all the great memories people have of him, they far outweight the bad ones.

I think he could have won alot more, thats what i meant. sorry

I agree whilst he has won and with his style he will always be a great, however he certainly had the talent to win more. Its such a shame, it really is. :mood:

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:[img]To think he could play so well under the influence, and with his twitchy cue action is amazing.

If Ronnie struggles these days against players who play negative, imagine what it was like for Alex battling it out with the likes of Charlton, Griffiths, Thorburn and numerous other hit and run, safety tacticians of the game.[/img]

This is very true, how did he pot them whilst the cue was flying about everywhere? So good to watch, its just a shame I missed his hayday and have to rely on old footage.

Yeh i wish id been a bit older to fully appreciate his play. I always remember being glued to the set when he played and willig him on to win against the older players. Think looking back, ive obviously been influenced by him when i play cos my styles definelty most like him, dodgy cueing action, inconsistent, quite natural and powerful.

I love re-enacting that amazing blue with the screw he played early on in the 69 break v White

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:Yeh i wish id been a bit older to fully appreciate his play. I always remember being glued to the set when he played and willig him on to win against the older players. Think looking back, ive obviously been influenced by him when i play cos my styles definelty most like him, dodgy cueing action, inconsistent, quite natural and powerful.

I love re-enacting that amazing blue with the screw he played early on in the 69 break v White

witz, I often think that to myself. wish i was born earlier and i may have witnessed alex higgins, steve davis and stephen hendry

Postby Witz78

How badly does the game need another Higgins type. Ronnie is like a 100 times watered down version to be honest.

Without drinking and smoking allowed in the arena, we never will get another Higgins though.

Wonder how Alex would have coped in this era with the smoking ban and no drinking. Im sure hed have flouted the no drinking rule with vodka in his bottle of Highland Spring ;)

Theres a bonus, The Color of Money has just started on BBC1, probably the best, er only cuesports film ever made <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Well.......
I drink quite heavily :chin:
I smoke on nights out, but I guess I could take it up full time to help the game :chin:
I've had quite a few birds to my name :chin:
I've broken a window in school, and been suspended more than once :chin:
I'm Irish :chin:

My God :scared: I could be the new Alex Higgins <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:Well.......
I drink quite heavily :chin:
I smoke on nights out, but I guess I could take it up full time to help the game :chin:
I've had quite a few birds to my name :chin:
I've broken a window in school, and been suspended more than once :chin:
I'm Irish :chin:

My God :scared: I could be the new Alex Higgins <ok>

rofl

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Yeh i wish id been a bit older to fully appreciate his play. I always remember being glued to the set when he played and willig him on to win against the older players. Think looking back, ive obviously been influenced by him when i play cos my styles definelty most like him, dodgy cueing action, inconsistent, quite natural and powerful.

witz, I often think that to myself. wish i was born earlier and i may have witnessed alex higgins, steve davis and stephen hendry

how old are you rocket ron?

even tho im only 31, coming 32 and still pretty young (well i still feel young anyway), im glad im old enough to remember having seen all the legends from the glory days of snooker play. The Charltons, Spencers, Meos, Taylors, Kirk Stevens, Fred Davis's etc of this world.

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Theres a bonus, The Color of Money has just started on BBC1, probably the best, er only cuesports film ever made <ok>

damn, i didn't know. and i cant sky plus it

Cheers for the reminder about Sky Plus, i would totoally have forgot to do that if you hadnt said. Ive a bad habit for totally fogetting to do that......even tho i never forget to rewind the tv and record any decent fights on the Jerry Springer repeats.......... <doh> rofl :ashamed:

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Theres a bonus, The Color of Money has just started on BBC1, probably the best, er only cuesports film ever made <ok>

Cheers for the reminder about Sky Plus, i would totoally have forgot to do that if you hadnt said. Ive a bad habit for totally fogetting to do that......even tho i never forget to rewind the tv and record any decent fights on the Jerry Springer repeats.......... <doh> rofl :ashamed:

cant believe you have met willie thorne, whats he like in real life? that another player a would have loved to watch. what a knowledgable breakbuilder

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:how old are you rocket ron?

25 but didn't join snooker till age of 14. read here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=361

Yikes, you missed out big time. Think i was a snooker nut from about age 3 to be honest. My auntie and uncle had a full size table in their house, and id a 6x3 in my bedroom so was always playing, plus there seemed to be that much snooker on the TV then too that got me even more into following it.

Being allowed to stay up late and watch the 85 final is one childhood memory ill never forget.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
Yikes, you missed out big time. Think i was a snooker nut from about age 3 to be honest. My auntie and uncle had a full size table in their house, and id a 6x3 in my bedroom so was always playing, plus there seemed to be that much snooker on the TV then too that got me even more into following it.

Being allowed to stay up late and watch the 85 final is one childhood memory ill never forget.

dont rub it in then <laugh>

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

cant believe you have met willie thorne, whats he like in real life? that another player a would have loved to watch. what a knowledgable breakbuilder

hes hilarious, something funny about him cos hes a larger than life character in person and appearance. Hes lived life to the full too and it shows. He seems happy to be among the genral public and mingling with the fans. Hes always got time to stop and talk, pose for pics, discuss betting tips and talk about the snooker. Top bloke <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:hes hilarious, something funny about him cos hes a larger than life character in person and appearance. Hes lived life to the full too and it shows. He seems happy to be among the genral public and mingling with the fans. Hes always got time to stop and talk, pose for pics, discuss betting tips and talk about the snooker. Top bloke <ok>

what places have you met him? yes he seems nice. my fav commentator by far

Postby Roland

I met him a couple of years ago funnily enough because I was at a seminar in Warwickshire and he was guest speaker, it was nothing to do with snooker. He was funny and a good speaker and I was chatting to him for quite a while but at the time he was on strictly come dancing so everyone just wanted to talk to him about that and kept interrupting me having a proper snooker discussion with him. I was too drunk (booze paid for and on works time) to remember much apart from him giving me his mobile number and telling me he'd show me round the Crucible next time I was there but I never took him up on the offer. I saw him and Virgo in a cafe last year near the Crucible but I didn't bother going up to him and saying "Remember that offer of showing me round the Crucible" because it would've been embarrassing if he didn't remember me, plus I was with oneball's mate.

Postby Roland

No did I bullocks. I think I offended him because I let him know what I thought of the programme and was pretty gobsmacked at how many people took it seriously and how seriously they took it! Bunch of numpties.