Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan Sr. released. Help or hindrance?

Postby Eirebilly

Sonny wrote:His dad can come along or stay inside, it won't affect the outcome. He won't get past both Williams and Selby!

Good call on Williams Sonny, he will be a tough nut to crack at this years worlds.

Postby Roland

It's about time he beat O'Sullivan in a big match. And as mentioned, the winner could possibly face Selby. Take a look at the Masters to see how close those games could be.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:
Sonny wrote:His dad can come along or stay inside, it won't affect the outcome. He won't get past both Williams and Selby!

Good call on Williams Sonny, he will be a tough nut to crack at this years worlds.

sonny said that last year and year before that and in 2 years hes had the combined win of 1 match <laugh>

seriously though im more optimistic about williams this year but he still inconsistent from shot to shot, match to match, against Ronnie that will not be good enough.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

sonny said that last year and year before that and in 2 years hes had the combined win of 1 match <laugh>

seriously though im more optimistic about williams this year but he still inconsistent from shot to shot, match to match, against Ronnie that will not be good enough.

Williams for me is like a better version of the current Hendry.

To suggest Williams IS BACK is laughable IMO. Yes hes started to string a few wins together again, which he couldnt do before, but hes still a pale shadow of the cracking player he was 6-10 years ago.

Ronnie will have too much for him in a best of 25. Williams "revival" can probably be traced back to the WC 2 years ago, when he pushed Ronnie hard for the first half of the 2nd round match before Ronnie stepped it up a gear to pull clear.

I just dont think Williams has that top gear left in his locker these days !!

Postby Wildey

Hendry and Williams are on a par at the moment.

and you are a slightly more measured Version of seifer.... same rubbish just sais it differently.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:Hendry and Williams are on a par at the moment.

and you are a slightly more measured Version of seifer.... same poo just sais it differently.

Williams recent form is better than Hendrys, therefore Hendrys not on a par with Williams at the moment <ok>

what poo do i say differently?

let me guess, anything that differs from your opinion is poo??? rofl

you just cant let it lie can you?? <doh>

If you dont agree with what i say, why dont you just continue the debate with your counter arguments, instead of just resorting to cheap shots and abuse................or are you not able to have a proper debate?? :huh2:

Postby Wildey

Hendry current form shows him with a World Semi,World Quarter so until Williams can do that he is a poor imitation of Hendry nothing more <ok>

yes he has had a better season than Hendry this season but so did Steve Davis have a better season than Ding last year is he better than ding is he buck....

when williams has strung a few good seasons together and not go up and down the rankings like a yoyo come back with your half baked crap.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:Hendry current form shows him with a World Semi,World Quarter so until Williams can do that he is a poor imitation of Hendry nothing more <ok>

yes he has had a better season than Hendry this season but so did Steve Davis have a better season than Ding last year is he better than ding is he intercourse....

when williams has strung a few good seasons together and not go up and down the rankings like a yoyo come back with your half baked crap.

I was only basing my assessment on this season to be honest.

Re: Hendry i do feel that the last 2 decent runs at the WC have masked the true picture - that his game is very inconsistent now and confidence has dropped. Hes managed to raise his game at the Worlds - true - but other than that, hes done little of note and has cut a forlorn figure around the table a lot :mood:

Postby Wildey

thing is witz you can mask it anyway you can but at the crucible whats gone before means rubbish when he is home in his living room.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:thing is witz you can mask it anyway you can but at the crucible whats gone before means poo when he is home in his living room.

In that case, someone broke into his living room a decade ago and stole his most important possession and he still hasnt noticed its gone missing rofl

Postby Tubberlad

Stephen Hendry is the greatest player of all time
7 Times World Champion
9 Times World Championship finalist
18 times a major winner
36 Ranking titles
Over £7,000,000 in prize money
Youngest ever World Champion
More centruy breaks than any other player
Class act <ok>

And Ronnie O'Sullivan is probably my second or third favourite player, behind Stevens and perhaps Robertson.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:thing is witz you can mask it anyway you can but at the crucible whats gone before means poo when he is home in his living room.

In that case, someone broke into his living room a decade ago and stole his most important possession and he still hasnt noticed its gone missing rofl

no but while we at it recently hes been closer to getting it back than Williams has been <ok>

you know what is the most amazing stat during the last decade between 2000 and 2009 Stephen Hendry has won 19 matches at the crucible and despite Mark Williams winning 2 World Championships he has only won 17 Matches.also during that period hendry has won 310 frames compared to Williams 293 at the crucible...buck im turning in to seifer <doh>

Postby Tubberlad

Wild, I strongly disagree with the notion that Hendry is closer to getting it back than Williams.
It would stun me if Hendry won the World Championship in April. It wouldn't surprise me all that much if Williams did, and I would say he's far more likely to beat O'Sullivan than Hendry is.

At both the Masters and the Grand Prix, Williams has made the semi-finals, something Hendry hasn't done this season. Williams standard of play has also been consistently higher than that of Hendry's. Just look at his match with O'Sullivan at The Masters; O'Sullivan played very, very well, but Williams probably should have won.

Postby Wildey

you can disagree all you want but with a semi and a quarter in the last 2 years compared to williams last 32 and last 16 that is proof hendry has been closer recently than williams in getting the world championship back.

williams has had a few good results thats all.

Postby Tubberlad

What you're saying doesn't really make sense at all Wild. I'm referring not to the World Championship form, but form in general.

It's like this, if I was forced to place a bet on either man for the World Championship, I would definitely pick Williams.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:you can disagree all you want but with a semi and a quarter in the last 2 years compared to williams last 32 and last 16 that is proof hendry has been closer recently than williams in getting the world championship back.

williams has had a few good results thats all.

but Wild, the point i originally made was that Williams was playing better than Hendry recently (ie, this season) and more likely to make an impact in this years Worlds than Hendry....

..but as i also said, Williams would have to rise his game up a few notches to realistically have a chance of beating Ronnie in R2 this year.

Hendrys results at the WC in the last 2 years have been good, and while hes went deep into the tournament both times, hes never really been close to being a potential winner either year.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:What you're saying doesn't really make sense at all Wild. I'm referring not to the World Championship form, but form in general.

It's like this, if I was forced to place a bet on either man for the World Championship, I would definitely pick Williams.

i wouldn't put a bet on either.

read the thread back you might understand it a little better mate i was replying to witz.

but theres nothing between them at the moment. both is up and down yes at the masters williams played very well and possibly should have reached the final and didnt but his semi at the grand prix was as bad as any player ive ever seen reaching a semi final of a tournament he was woeful.

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:Witz, in 08 I thought hendry was pretty good at the worlds. Only for Ronnie being on another planet to everybody else that year Hendo was looking good to win the thing.

Thats true, my opinion was clouded cos i was at the Allen R1 game and couldnt believe Hendry somehow won that game. One of the biggest bottle jobs ever from Allen to somehow lose that.

Hendry was pretty awesome v Ding in R2 tho :clap:

Postby Tubberlad

He was woeful against Hendry, and poor against Ding.
If you saw the match against Bingham, he was total class.
And during the Masters, he was very good indeed. It's far better than what I've seen from Hendry of late.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:He was woeful against Hendry, and poor against Ding.
And during the Masters, he was very good indeed. It's far better than what I've seen from Hendry of late.

i saw the match against bingham but that proves the point hes going from sublime to ridiculous in the space of a few days.

yes i agree especially in the masters he was back to a decent level in that but yet again in the welsh he peatered out to maguire and played extremely poor in doing so after the expectation on him grew because of very good performances against Higginson the previous day hence my statement he is very up and down.

Postby Witz78

Yes, id the "pleasure" of being at the Williams - Hendry match (think 13 was Hendrys highest break in the first session AND he still managed to win a frame :eek: ) and it made me feel better about my own game.

Arguably the worst session of snooker from pros ever !!!

I agree tubber about Williams in the Masters, he really was playing as well as id seen him in about 5 years anyway, and his level at that tournament, definelty surpassed anything Hendry has produced recently.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

Yes, id the "pleasure" of being at the Williams - Hendry match (think 13 was Hendrys highest break in the first session AND he still managed to win a frame :eek: ) and it made me feel better about my own game.

I agree tubber about Williams in the Masters, he really was playing as well as id seen him in about 5 years anyway, and his level at that tournament, definelty surpassed anything Hendry has produced recently.

the wost professional match ive seen on TV..... and when you look at the players involved it was unbelievable.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Witz, in 08 I thought hendry was pretty good at the worlds. Only for Ronnie being on another planet to everybody else that year Hendo was looking good to win the thing.

Thats true, my opinion was clouded cos i was at the Allen R1 game and couldnt believe Hendry somehow won that game. One of the biggest bottle jobs ever from Allen to somehow lose that.

Hendry was pretty awesome v Ding in R2 tho :clap:

Bit harsh on Allen, no?

That match had it all, the pink rolling over the black for hendry to win the first frame of the second session with a snooker. Allen fouling the red with his sleeve when well placed to win the frame. When 9-7 up Allen called a mistake on the scoreboard meaning hendry was added two points he was owed. later in that frame allen on the blue, whilst playing for the match winning red, had to power the blue in and missed (only for the two points he wouldn't have needed the red). He never got a chance in the next frame, final frame went in off playing a cut red. Only really the blue that could be considered a bottle miss. Hendry closed it out well, but it has proved a big learning experience for mark

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

the wost professional match ive seen on TV..... and when you look at the players involved it was unbelievable.

Really. I was wondering what the TV audience were making of it, and what Davis and co in the studio were saying about it.

It was surreal watching it, it was like both players were trying to miss on purpose. They both came across well by interacting with the crowd though, mainly through embarrassment at how bad they were playing !!

Postby Wildey

case to be honest Allen should have won it however he did beat Ronnie a year later so i guess it had more to do with hendry than Allen bottling it <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Really. I was wondering what the TV audience were making of it, and what Davis and co in the studio were saying about it.

It was surreal watching it, it was like both players were trying to miss on purpose. They both came across well by interacting with the crowd though, mainly through embarrassment at how bad they were playing !!

i was watching on red button and i dont know what the rest of the watching population was thinking about it but i was beeping all over the bloody shop lol.

as a hendry fan these days i dont mind if he loses as long as he dont miss easy pot he will always leave chances because his long potting marmite but dont miss when you are in.....in that match it was a case of trying not to pot on both sides and i was tearing my hair out.