Post a reply

Re: World Championship (Mon 29th of April) Last 16 Discussio

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:wild

i have full confidence in robbo you know fine well

But ronnie has shown he can just comeback as if he hasnt been away and will be fresh a a daisy for each worlds

The others will have played 90/100 mathces

that isnt a level playing field mate and you know it

No-one made the other players enter however many events they did in the season though.

If Robbo or Selby wanted they could have taken all a few months off before the Worlds. <ok>

Re: Tournament formats ?

Postby GJ

witx

im sure robbo will do that but he cant as he wont want to miss the defence of his china open title

best plan for robbo is to forget ptcs IMO

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witx

when does it start as it cant come soon enough with so many events

money rankings start at beginning of 2014/15 season

but with everyone entering bulk of events in last 128 next season, this coming season will be pretty transitional anyway.

Postby GJ

cheers

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker has reached saturation point. The importance of each event will become diluted, and specators will lose interest.

Postby Witz78

im sure robbo will do that but he cant as he wont want to miss the defence of his china open title

the PTCs will be pointless for all the big names in future other than for match practice or if they start to slide down the rankings and need to boost their earning opportunities and build up confidence.

The PTCs are going to become the equivalent of Challenger series in tennis with young players and journeymen being the main men in them.

Pointless big names focusing on events with a 10k top prize when they can earn that for a few wins in a major event.

Postby Wildey

Barry has also said that he would hope Top players support new Territories so if that means missing 2 China events for the Good of the long term aim then surely that should be what they do.

Next year is the final year of a 3 year contract with Australia if the players want The sport to be in a strong enough position to command higher sponsorships they have to put in or they wont get nothing back.

Postby GJ

yes mate your right and this money list looks good

as robbo wins a big title he will be rewarded better than in the curent rankings system

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

the PTCs will be pointless for all the big names in future other than for match practice or if they start to slide down the rankings and need to boost their earning opportunities and build up confidence.

The PTCs are going to become the equivalent of Challenger series in tennis with young players and journeymen being the main men in them.

Pointless big names focusing on events with a 10k top prize when they can earn that for a few wins in a major event.

the PTC is a route to get 100,000+ Ranking points and £100,000 pay check in the PTC Grand Finals.

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:Snooker has reached saturation point. The importance of each event will become diluted, and specators will lose interest.

Ok, well go back to a 6 event tour with 3 majors <ok>

At the moment the Majors are seriously devalued as their importance isnt reflected in the rankings by the points system as the UK, Worlds points tariffs never increased despite the number of events on tour and points available increasing by 3 or 4 times.

Once the money order of merit kicks in, the importance of the big events will increase again and the PTCs will be down at their rightful level of importance.

Postby GJ

wild

but player A would rather win say china open and worlds

than say ptc grand fianls and 2 other ranking events

its prioritising

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Snooker has reached saturation point. The importance of each event will become diluted, and specators will lose interest.

Ok, well go back to a 6 event tour with 3 majors <ok>

At the moment the Majors are seriously devalued as their importance isnt reflected in the rankings by the points system as the UK, Worlds points tariffs never increased despite the number of events on tour and points available increasing by 3 or 4 times.

Once the money order of merit kicks in, the importance of the big events will increase again and the PTCs will be down at their rightful level of importance.

SOUNDS GOOD <ok>

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild

but player A would rather win say china open and worlds

than say ptc grand fianls and 2 other ranking events

its prioritising

but then all the eggs are in one basket and china calls the shots.

as a sportsman that would be very short sighted and wouldnt safe guard the future of snooker for the next generation.

Re: World Championship (Mon 29th of April) Last 16 Discussio

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:100% agree with EVERYTHING Hearn says there

like it or lump it

quit the moaning

survival of the fittest as he says

get on with it

I totally knew you would agree with that ass. Btw, I dont disagree, I do disagree with his way of saying it. He is an arrogant ****** that I would personally like to see taken down a peg or two.

If it wasnt for "that ass" Graeme and all the other pros knocked out of the Worlds already, would be sitting twiddling their thumbs for 5 months now without earning a penny.

Dont bite the hand that feed you <ok>

Don't bring Graeme into this, I havent asked him about this yet. Think of me as Hearn's man in the street. When I listen to the way he talks to\at people he makes my skin crawl. The people who play this sport deserve his respect not be talked down to the way he does. He will alienate them. But then again he does not care.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

the PTC is a route to get 100,000+ Ranking points and £100,000 pay check in the PTC Grand Finals.

yeh but if the criteria of entering 6 PTC events or whatever still stands, then can see a lot of the top names skipping them.

Plenty of other proper rankers now with big pay packets (75k, 100k etc) for them to focus on if they are confident in their abilities.

plus so long as they can secure a top 16 place for the Crucible via the rankings, then being 1st or 10th isnt really going to bother them too much im sure.

Postby Witz78

How do you find something youve accidently saved as a draft instead of posted ??

Had a reply for Snooky but did this by accident

Postby Skullman

Technically WS did by making him N1/2 seed for everything, which is what I think GJ was having a go at. Whether you agree or not, is your opinion.

Postby Witz78

i think in future the World Champion wont be getting that protection anymore now that were moving to a flatter structure tbh

Postby Wildey

in the 80s when Barry Hearn was a promoter working with the WPBSA as a indapendant promoter he was the guy who first took snooker to china almost 30 years later the chinese snooker boom has now 5 Main Ranking events.

in 2005 when Ding won in China he would have got £30,000 (had he not played as a Wild Card that is) that was all that anyone could earn in china 8 years later its £485,000 1 player could actually earn in China alone.

that's the time frame required nothing will come over night.

Postby Skullman

Personally I think it's right. The flat structure still have seeding based on ranking(PTCs excluded) and the World Champion has won the biggest event of the season and so deserves some degree of protection. In the end, he'll still have to win 7 matches to win a tournament, and I can't imagine that his first two opponents will drastically change.

I'd go even further myself and have UK and Masters Champion get some seeding bonuses. They're majors as well, so instead of the player winning them and being almost forgotten for a year, why not reward them as well?

Edit: Aimed at Witz, BTW.
Last edited by Skullman on 29 Apr 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

witx

yeh the flat 128 will ensure that its not so easy for a player to win a worlds skip a year and just play worlds following year

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Wild

Hearn has had a hand in the chinese snooker revolution, but he isn't the reason for it. Snooker would still be tin-pot in China if it wasn't for the emergence of Ding.

but if hearn didnt take snooker to china when he did Ding would be playing table tennis <ok>

Postby GJ

Just to say its not just ronnie any player who just played worlds each year i would say the same

snooker is about a season not just 1 event

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Just to say its not just ronnie any player who just played worlds each year i would say the same

snooker is about a season not just 1 event

spot on that's why i was in favor of a tier system it tells players they have to play in tournaments.

had Ronnie not won the World title last year Would he have taken a Break? who knows but if he had he would have 2 qualifiers to play to get there.

Money Rankings gives just as Much protection to the top players if not more than a tier system but overall a flat system is much fairer on everyone and ive accepted that now.

Re: World Championship (Tue 30th of April) Q Finals Discussi

Postby The Cueist

Just watched Hearn on the Beeb."Alleged Burn-out"

Hearn was straight and micheal caine like in orating what he had to say.

Being honest myself,I found him very hitler -like in his response.

What he has created is very slow grinding matches that are sending me to sleep.

I was all for the rolling rankings,Fine.
But flogging everybody to death is not fair.

As for Selby,He did look knackered and you lnow he wasnt lying.

Opinions please. :john:

Postby mantorok

I'm not sure, but when you go from 5-6 ranking events to over 10 in a season with plenty in between then it's going to be a shock initially, they will get used to it, they moaned there wasn't enough tournaments and now they're moaning there are too many.

Can't win with some people.

Postby Smart

Selby looked like he had not shaved, that is not knackered imo, I often dont shave just out out laziness and the fact it irriates my beautiful skin. All this bullocks about tired players is horse rubbish ....they have weeks off before tournies and yes they do play more nowadays but it aint a bucking hardship they aint mining coal or driving buses its actually a nice occupation.

Cueist :wave:

Postby The Cueist

Smart wrote:Selby looked like he had not shaved, that is not knackered imo, I often dont shave just out out laziness and the fact it irriates my beautiful skin. All this fluffy bunnies about tired players is horse donkey doo ....they have weeks off before tournies and yes they do play more nowadays but it aint a little kittens playing hardship they aint mining coal or driving buses its actually a nice occupation.

Cueist :wave:

Hail Smart-(David Gray_Say hello and wave goodbye) laugh!!!!!!!!!

It is a good job some of these players were not Bus Drivers as Diesel is pricey,You know length of time between A to B.Shot times and all that.

I think it is the toll of grinding matches,Snooker is in the mind and the mind gets tired focusing on the same thing.

Wave to alleged retard.

Postby vinot

Witz78 wrote:i think in future the World Champion wont be getting that protection anymore now that were moving to a flatter structure tbh

That would mean, theoretically, that we could see lots of WC:s in the future where the reigning world champion is not there to defend their title. That will be fun to watch... :john:

Postby GJ

vinot wrote:
Witz78 wrote:i think in future the World Champion wont be getting that protection anymore now that were moving to a flatter structure tbh

That would mean, theoretically, that we could see lots of WC:s in the future where the reigning world champion is not there to defend their title. That will be fun to watch... :john:

it happens in tennis and i dont see it suffering

:wave: