Post a reply

Re: Virgo V Thorne

Postby GJ

rexy

:? :roll:

Postby Skullman

If Sky do take a major, I hope they get rid of that idiot Andy Goldstein, although I doubt his replacement would know anymore about snooker...

Postby GJ

Goldstein is a tosser

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:If Sky do take a major, I hope they get rid of that idiot Andy Goldstein, although I doubt his replacement would know anymore about snooker...

Andy Goldstein is a 90+ player and very Knowledgeable about the Game but ends up being a bit of a idiot during interviews.

Postby Witz78

I will endeavour to gain some exclusive comments from The Great WT over the weekend re: the forum and snooker fans in generals displeasure at the Beebs treatment of him.

Postby GJ

witz

:hatoff:

I expect a full detailed thread on it by monday evening

<cool>

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:I will endeavour to gain some exclusive comments from The Great WT over the weekend re: the forum and snooker fans in generals displeasure at the Beebs treatment of him.

tell him smart thinks he is a tosser <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:I will endeavour to gain some exclusive comments from The Great WT over the weekend re: the forum and snooker fans in generals displeasure at the Beebs treatment of him.

tell him smart thinks he is a tosser <ok>

rofl

Can you follow that up with the question; "And how do you feel about Smart?"

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:Andy Goldstein is a 90+ player and very Knowledgeable about the Game but ends up being a bit of a idiot during interviews.

That's the thing with Goldstein, isn't it? He's supposedly a superb player, who has this vast knowledge of snooker. But in interviews he may as well be a monkey in a suit holding a microphone for all that he adds to the televisual experience.

Postby GJ

goldstein is a smart ass may as well give rexy the job .............

Postby Witz78

Spoke to Willie last night to express our concerns

he says he wasnt happy but the fact of the matter is he is freelance and isnt contracted to the Beeb, hence he works with Sky too.

He said the reason he didnt get the Masters gig was because the Beeb already had 7 of their "own commentators" for just a 1 table set up, so they couldnt justify taking Thorne there too.

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:Spoke to Willie last night to express our concerns

he says he wasnt happy but the fact of the matter is he is freelance and isnt contracted to the Beeb, hence he works with Sky too.

He said the reason he didnt get the Masters gig was because the Beeb already had 7 of their "own commentators" for just a 1 table set up, so they couldnt justify taking Thorne there too.

lets hope he never works for the BBC again, smug, condescending, baldie <ok>

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:goldstein is a smart ass may as well give rexy the job .............

last night to summarise Goldstein:

he backed Lisowski to win

he loved Jimmy and everyone loves Jimmy

he mis-pronounced nearly every player who was next to play and stumbled over virtually everything he was trying to say, would of been better employing someone with taurets to do the presenting

:-D

Postby Simone

I think Neal Foulds is a superb commentator. A tall lad who is attacking the game brilliantly.

Steve Davis on the other hand is just great there at the BBC:s studios, he´s definetely got the whole package. Including the looks and titles.

Postby Muppet147

Thorne is a whining old lovely lady. And I do not care that he missed an easy blue against the Nugget. He is a CAUC. <ok>

Postby GJ

Muppet147 wrote:Thorne is a whining old lovely lady. And I do not care that he missed an easy blue against the Nugget. He is a CAUC. <ok>

Takes one to know one <ok> :tvrky: :tvrky:

Postby daraghj82

i think willie is a very good commentator and he explains things very well. its a shame terry and clive everton don't get more commentary opportunities , off the new bunch i like angles and hendo

Postby GJ

Muppet147 wrote:Thorne is still a CAUC as he showed in the Welsh Open. GJ is one too. <ok>

:parrot: rofl

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:Thorne is okay. He sometimes gets a bit pissy if a player doesn't do the shot he suggests, even if the shot the player choses comes off.

:-D

Postby SteveJJ

If it was up to me, I'd jettison Virgo, Taylor, Doherty and Parrott.

Wasn't Everton's BBC demise due to his politicking which didn't go down well with the IMG bods who produce the programs who had links to the old ruling regime?

Supposedly, Hearn did put in a word to the BBC to take him back.Sadly, his expertise in saying something interesting and knowing when to keep quiet is missing from his replacements.

I'd echo those who want to hear more of Foulds and Griffiths. I'd also want to hear more of Dominic Dale when he's not competing.

Thorne - he is very good at describing shots and the options available. He has cut down on his betting analogies, although you could still parody him when he claims the second frame of the match could be the most important, key frame of the match.

I think where Willie falls down - and I think the same is true of Virgo and Davis is that if its not a BBC tournament they don't have a clue what's been going on. Case in point at the Welsh, Willie commented that Trump had had a bad season, seemingly based on the UK and Masters. In fact, Trump has accrued the second highest number of ranking points this season and has reached two big finals and done well in a number of PTC's. I don't get the impression that the BBC crew take much interest in tournaments that they aren't at or commentating on.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:Worst commentator for me is Darren Morgan, pisses me off so much

Good job he only does the Welsh Open.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Worst commentator for me is Darren Morgan, pisses me off so much

Good job he only does the Welsh Open.

its one tourney too many to be fair to the viewing public :wave: