7%
Terry Griffiths
13%
Stephen Hendry
13%

Total votes : 30

Re: Poll: Your Favourite Commentators

Postby Smart

Adolf Mugabe wrote:Everton is the greatest commentator ever in the snooker stratosphere,Bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

karnham is a close second.

I can take virgo to an extent but the way he talks you would have thought he was a multiple world champs winner and i find Thorne the same.

The rest talk pooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I quite like Jim Meadowcroft for his commentating style and Dominic dale is a good commentator at the Welsh Open. <ok>

Jack Karnham is dead surely <ok>

Postby littlebylittle

I want a recount.According to my poll i voted for hallet!! I must have been p**sed,saying that i did vote for clive as well.Don't mind Virgo not so keen on thorne or taylor,Joe johnson has grown on me

Postby Roland

I started off liking Joe Johnson but now his style is starting to wear a bit thin for me.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:I started off liking Joe Johnson but now his style is starting to wear a bit thin for me.

Yea did you hear him about Ding today when he turned down a red down the rail? It was 1st session, the red was just off the cushion beside the middle pocket with Johnson at him to take it on to the green pocket. The right shot was always the safety off the other red, Ding played it badly though which made Joe look right.
Anyway Johnson's reaction was very smug but he got lucky, it was never the right shot

Postby Tubberlad

Fargo Boyle wrote:Virgo is pretty interesting and Foulds is very good and insightful I think.

Not a massive fan of Virgo as a commentator, but you're spot on with Knowles. Really knows the game this fellow very informative, the best besides Everton in my eyes.

Postby randam05

Virgoooo hes great, not the best quality commentator but knows how to bring a laugh..along with willie and Taylor(lovely accent like doherty's)

Postby SnookerFan

Having seen Virgo at two exhibitions now, I still agree with what I said earlier. He comes across better as a personality around the table and comedy commentator, then when he's taking the job seriously on the BBC.

I was the first to criticise him at times, and not the only one I know who did, but I think as a personality he's quite likable. As a commentator, he needs to drop certain habits because he can get quite annoying.

Though not the only one, he does act like his choice of shot is always the correct one. And he does overuse the line on the table. Sometimes that's productive, other times it's not. "Here's a red over a pocket, which the player has to hit in the centre of the cue ball to pot. Allow me to demonstrate this by drawing a line all over the table." It's like the technology costs the BBC a lot of money, and he has to constantly demonstrate it's worth having.

Another thing is, he could climb out of Ronnie's rectum. I know all the commentator's praise Ronnie, and that's fair enough as he's one of the best players to watch ever. However, he has on occasion start talking about Ronnie when Ronnie isn't playing. Selby will be playing Higgins, and Virgo goes; "I was watching Ronnie play last night." Big deal John, we heard you say it yesterday.

As a bloke, he's not all bad. But I think having met him around, I think he could improve. He actually has a sense of humour.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 21 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Let me guess - did he throw Neil Robertson a compliment?

What about Cliff Thorburn GJ - he's a Robbo fan too :santa:

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Let me guess - did he throw Neil Robertson a compliment?

What about Cliff Thorburn GJ - he's a Robbo fan too :santa:

throughout the whole match he only referred to robbo as

WORLD CHAMPION

Postby GJ

in the past he called him neil robinson

<laugh>

Postby sundaygirl

Quick question when you go to see a BBC event live do you wear an earpiece to listen to the commentary?
Personally I've never bothered but they do seem very popular.

Postby Bourne

The one time i've been able to use them I did, but took it off very soon after finding it that Welsh donkey whatshisname who piloted Carter in that final was doing it.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Quick question when you go to see a BBC event live do you wear an earpiece to listen to the commentary?
Personally I've never bothered but they do seem very popular.

Not a fan of them myself, why go to something live if you want to hear commentary? I did try one once, when a friend of mine came and wanted one. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the damn thing kept going quiet. I think it was a dud. I'd be listening to commentary for five minutes, followed by another five minutes of absolute silence. I didn't bother taking it back or getting another one.

Postby SnookerFan

The Commentators are pretty dire on Eurosport, to be fair. But I think that has as much to do with the budget then anything else. At one point I heard them claim that Steve Davis beat Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final of the Masters in 2003. <doh> It took them about five minutes to find out it was 1997, something I knew at home already.

Also, another great line of commentary; "I can't believe nobody clapped that, that was frame ball." After the next pot, everybody clapped. "Oh right, sorry. THAT was frame ball."

<laugh>

Postby Roland

I added them and allowed users to change their votes and the bloody poll has been wiped <doh>