Post a reply

Re: Commentators

Postby Alyt

vodkadiet wrote:We'll no doubt have to suffer multiple camera shots of O'Sullivan's kids during the final with lots of Dennis Taylor making comments about how wonderful it all is, as though O'Sullivan was the only male member of the human species who had converted his semen in to a human being. I will be sticking my fingers down my throat.

Ah ah ah !

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Virgo and Taylor in fine form today. Had me chuckling a couple of times.

Postby vodkadiet

"The best way to describe the nap of the cloth, is it is like the fur on a pussycat's back".

Postby GJ

My friend cliff is over from Canada , did you know him and me are getting inducted to the hall of fame on 7th may

Chuckles .......

Postby Vallomas

I just watched on youtube the last minutes of the 1985 final and the commentator mentioned Dennis as "the popular Irishman". What happened and he is so unpopular now?

In my country we have only the Eurosport option to watch snooker and the level of the commentators (journalists and amateur players) is surprisingly high. They make aptly comments on the game and they don't talk too much.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Vallomas wrote:I just watched on youtube the last minutes of the 1985 final and the commentator mentioned Dennis as "the popular Irishman". What happened and he is so unpopular now?

In my country we have only the Eurosport option to watch snooker and the level of the commentators (journalists and amateur players) is surprisingly high. They make aptly comments on the game and they don't talk too much.

Dennis is very unpopular on this site, but in mainstream he is very popular, he ran the commentary on the kendo hendo exo. He's not that unpopular.

Postby GJ

Taylor is very unpopular on many forums I have looked at

Just because the old pals society aka BBC love him doesnt mean most snooker fans do.

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:Taylor is very unpopular on many forums I have looked at

Just because the old pals society aka BBC love him doesnt mean most snooker fans do.

The BBC is an old boys network living in the past. Taylor is senile.

Postby GJ

That's a confidence booster

Chuckles

Postby snooky147

Taylor is an idiot
Doherty can't speak properly and has no place commentating. Tirty tree is just one example of many.
Thorne is an ass that canttakeabreathwhiletalkingrubbish.
Hendry is good
Parrot is Good
Foulds is good
Hendon is good
Yates is an idiot
Hallet, well for someone who performed to such a high level he is absolutely clueless
Studd simply has to stop saying the players nicknames EVERY SINGLE TIME
Johnson is okay if a bit dithery
No wonder I mute the sound most days.

Postby Vallomas

"There's no greater feeling than walking round the table, when you know that you are the world champion".

Guess what? I just watched the last frames of WSC finals of the '00s with Dennis' commentary.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't dislike Dennis Taylor as a bloke, but it does grate a bit that he obviously knows bugger all about the modern game. But that applies to most of the BBC commentators.

Pretty much every debutant at The Crucible this year, you had one of the commentators say; "Well, I don't know much about this player...." Well, why the buck not? You're paid to be experts on the subject.

I don't mind so much when the commentators on Eurosport make the odd gaffe. At least they're not getting paid out of my license fee. And probably don't have the same access to stats that the BBC and their bigger budget do.

The BBC patently don't watch or care about tournaments that aren't on their channel, and it becomes obvious at times.

Postby GJ

Spot on SF

:hatoff:

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:I don't mind so much when the commentators on Eurosport make the odd gaffe. At least they're not getting paid out of my license fee. And probably don't have the same access to stats that the BBC and their bigger budget do.

ES really shouldn't make statistical gaffes considering regular commentator Dave Hendon and sometimes commentator Phil Yates provide the BBC with their stats.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I don't mind so much when the commentators on Eurosport make the odd gaffe. At least they're not getting paid out of my license fee. And probably don't have the same access to stats that the BBC and their bigger budget do.

ES really shouldn't make statistical gaffes considering regular commentator Dave Hendon and sometimes commentator Phil Yates provide the BBC with their stats.

I suppose, since you put it like that. rofl

Postby mantorok

I like Thorne because of his honesty on the players and how they're playing, I also think he is technically one of the best commentators as he is a break-building master and always calls missed opportunities, he is a bit pervy at times though, Uncle Willie references should've had him arrested by now.

I like Hendry for pretty much the same reasons, he doesn't waffle too much BS and sticks to the technical aspects.

Taylor and Virgo need to go, regurgatating the same cr@p over and over and talking about golf and the family spectators and constantly scanning the crowd, WHERE'S THE CUEBALL GOING???? Is also getting really, really old and annoying.

Don't mind Davis but he is a bit boring sometimes and doesn't always have much to say.

Neal Foulds again for sticking to the point and the technical aspects.

Don't mind Parrot, again doesn't waffle too much BS and sticks to the game.

Basically Taylor and Virgo need to go - that is all.

Postby mantorok

snooky147 wrote:Taylor is an idiot
Doherty can't speak properly and has no place commentating. Tirty tree is just one example of many.
Thorne is an ass that canttakeabreathwhiletalkingrubbish.
Hendry is good
Parrot is Good
Foulds is good
Hendon is good
Yates is an idiot
Hallet, well for someone who performed to such a high level he is absolutely clueless
Studd simply has to stop saying the players nicknames EVERY SINGLE TIME
Johnson is okay if a bit dithery
No wonder I mute the sound most days.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby mantorok

To anyone with a remote knowledge of Snooker and the players Taylor is annoying.

But to the mainstream, and given that Snooker does attract older audiences, they love him.

Postby GJ

Another Taylor classic

If there's a bald man in the audience , is that a friend of yours Willie.

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:Another Taylor classic

rofl

That's probably the only thing he knows about snooker. That Willie Thorne is bald.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 08 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

mantorok wrote:

To anyone with a remote knowledge of Snooker and the players Taylor is annoying.

But to the mainstream, and given that Snooker does attract older audiences, they love him.

How the people in charge think he's a better commentator than Clive Everton is beyond me.

Postby mantorok

GJ wrote:
mantorok wrote:

How the people in charge think he's a better commentator than Clive Everton is beyond me.

It's not about that, take a look around at the pensioners in the audience with ear-pieces, the BBC obviously think that they need to cater for that audience...

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:Another Taylor classic

Yes, that it is so childish, and so repetitive.

His latest is when Ding Junhui is playing, and the camera pans to a few Oriental people in the crowd, and he says "Quite a few Ding fans in tonight".

That is racism.

Imagine if Rory Mcleod was playing and there was a black man watching. Would he be stupid enough to say? "There's a Rory fan".

I think he probably would, he is that stupid.

According to Taylor's logic every red faced ogre in the crowd must have been a Taylor fan back in the day.

Postby mantorok

vodkadiet wrote:His latest is when Ding Junhui is playing, and the camera pans to a few Oriental people in the crowd, and he says "Quite a few Ding fans in tonight".

That is racism.

Imagine if Rory Mcleod was playing and there was a black man watching. Would he be stupid enough to say? "There's a Rory fan".

I think he probably would, he is that stupid.

According to Taylor's logic every red faced ogre in the crowd must have been a Taylor fan back in the day.

rofl rofl rofl

True though, you can't stereotype people based on their ethnicity, just goes to show how far from reality the guy is.