Post a reply

Re: Commentators

Postby The Cueist

Well most commentatore are has beens at the gaje and one or twoo seem to demznd more from a given playerthan they could have ever achieved themselves.

Still they make menlaugh and most are genuinely passionate about the game.

A lotnof what they say is well meaning.

For me , Jack Karnhsmm was a great commentator sndso was clive everton.

Very unbiased thevpsirnof these.

The current crop will never get close .

Harsh but truebi feel.

Just remembered Jim Meadowcroft , He was good on the commentary mic.

I suppose for me these three just have more wisdom.

Willie Thorne is a nice guy , But hebthinks every player shouldvthink like him when they play snooker.

John Virgo is witty but demanding.

Dennis Taylor and his lines for snooker escapes are good , Nice guy at heart just seems to witter on at times.

Ken , cant always understand him , Nice guy all the same.

I like Hendry on the mic , Tells itnlike it is, Typical scotsman

Dominic Dale is not bad at it when the wrlsh is on , I think he is a smashing genuine big guy.

Always tries to keep smiling .
Fouldsy was good , What hsppened to him?

Why him and not one of the others.
Dont make any sense.

Postby Skullman

Foulds i more freelance I think. He commentates for Sky during their shot clock events, ITV had him for the World Open in 2013 and the Coc, and ES had him for the Worlds until the the semis.

Maybe the BBC are happy with the lot they've got? They're certainly not short of commentators.

Postby The Cueist

Thanks for the info on Fouldsy Skull.
Just shows you I dont watch half the snooker coverage available these days.

Postby SteveJJ

I think Thorne is freelance too, hence him doing some stuff for Sky and the first to be left out of some BBC tournaments when they have too many commentators - ie. The Masters.

Postby Andy Spark

A lot of negative stuff about Dennis on this thread but Dennis Taylor can be, or at least used to be 30 years ago, really funny and entertaining. Take this example, quite a bit above average exhibition quality. This is how he became so popular...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

Postby SnookerFan

I remember Sky Sports used to have an alternative commentary service on the Red Button in football matches. So if, for example, you were watching Liverpool vs Newcastle, you could turn to the fan's commentary service to listen to a Scouser and a Geordie talking about the game in a very biased manner.

They should do this for snooker. Imagine Seifer island hatah and Sonny doing commentary on the Crucible final. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Or Wild doing commentary on any match. rofl

"Where's the cueball going? WHERE'S IT bucking GOING? WHAT A bucking pin end! HE POTTED THE CUEBALL!"

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Dennis Taylor is there because he is known to mainstream audience, the man with the funny glasses, black ball finish.

Steve Davis, interesting, won everything in the 80 s

Jv, pot as many balls as you can.

Wt the big bald guy.

Hendo, won everything in the 90's.

Kendo, Irish viewers.

Clive Everton, who? Is that why he was punted?

Postby SnookerFan

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Dennis Taylor is there because he is known to mainstream audience, the man with the funny glasses, black ball finish.

Wt the big bald guy.

Kendo, Irish viewers.

Interesting point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC were hiring people based on who was known to the public as much as anything. John Virgo appears on Big Break 20 years ago, thus he gets the job etc....

Which is a stupid way of doing it, because Everton knows more facts about the professional game than the rest of them put together.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Dennis Taylor is there because he is known to mainstream audience, the man with the funny glasses, black ball finish.

Wt the big bald guy.

Kendo, Irish viewers.

Interesting point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC were hiring people based on who was known to the public as much as anything. John Virgo appears on Big Break 20 years ago, thus he gets the job etc....

Which is a stupid way of doing it, because Everton knows more facts about the professional game than the rest of them put together.

Like that matters when it comes to viewing figures lol

People would rather listen to former world champions. Like they give two hoots about the facts!

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:

Wt the big bald guy.

Kendo, Irish viewers.

Interesting point.

Like that matters when it comes to viewing figures lol

People would rather listen to former world champions. Like they give two hoots about the facts!

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:Like that matters when it comes to viewing figures lol

I don't see why.

If it's pertinent to what is happening in the match, I'd much rather listen to Clive discuss some exhibition match he remembers watching in 1978 than listen to Taylor waffle on about the fact that he once played golf with the father of whoever happens to be playing at the moment. Who cares that Dennis has a world title and Clive doesn't?

Unless we're discussing Willie Thorne. Who likes to belittle player's shot selections, whilst making it sound like he is the best player of all time. Then it might be interesting to discuss how many titles he won as a player. <laugh>

Postby Vallomas

I have to say that I really like the way Ted Lowe was commentating. I have watched a lot of classic matches the last few days snd I think that he was the best.

Postby vodkadiet

Dennis Taylor's sacking is long overdue.

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet wrote:Dennis Taylor's sacking is long overdue.

As is John Virgo's. If he was a multiple (or even one-time) world champion I could just about live with his criticism of, and 'advice' to most players (maybe I could even endure his adulation for RO'S), but in his career he saw mediocrity as something to aspire to. Hardly a font of wisdom.

"WHERE'S THE CUE-BALL GOING???!!"

("nowhere John. It's the mid-session interval") ...

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

As is John Virgo's. If he was a multiple (or even one-time) world champion I could just about live with his criticism of, and 'advice' to most players (maybe I could even endure his adulation for RO'S), but in his career he saw mediocrity as something to aspire to. Hardly a font of wisdom.

"WHERE'S THE CUE-BALL GOING???!!"

("nowhere John. It's the mid-session interval") ...

rofl rofl rofl

Postby TheSaviour

Den rofl rofl rofl