Post a reply

Re: Ronnie pulls out of the 2012/13 season

Postby Witz78

Jewell wrote:
likelylad wrote:look out for those Crucible Ticket returns. The UK turnout attendance is poor. Now Ron pulled the plug empty seats all over.

And people say snooker doesn't need Ronnie. What a joke that is.

CAN RONNIE SURVIVE WITHOUT SNOOKER......? :shrug:

CAN SNOOKER SURVIVE WITHOUT RONNIE !! <ok>

Postby Skullman

likelylad wrote:look out for those Crucible Ticket returns. The UK turnout attendance is poor. Now Ron pulled the plug empty seats all over.

How do you know the UK attendance is poor?

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:
Jewell wrote:

And people say snooker doesn't need Ronnie. What a joke that is.

CAN RONNIE SURVIVE WITHOUT SNOOKER......? :shrug:

CAN SNOOKER SURVIVE WITHOUT RONNIE !! <ok>

Snooker CAN definately SURVIVE without Ronnie, but anyone who says that the game won't suffer with his absense is clueless and knows nothing of the game... Of course it will be bad for the game, as it would be if Mark Williams, John Higgins or Judd Trump for instance decided not to play anymore. Every player gives something to the game in their own right.

As a Ronnie fan, of course it is very sad to hear this, but at least he has now made a decision and I can only wish that he sorts all the personal problems he has and maybe, just maybe, come back for next season.

And even if he decides not to play anymore, you couln't ask for a better achievement than walking out as World Champion.

:chuckle: I won't count that ptc match against Bedford, as he should never have played that event in the first place. Humiliating enough
Last edited by Andre147 on 06 Nov 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

we don't, and I'm sure there will still be good crowds like last season, although you can't argue that with Ronnie's absense it will suffer a bit, but not that much I reckon.

Postby Skullman

I think for every person that won't buy a ticket for a event because Ronnie's not in it, there will be enough who'll buy ticket because they want to see players like Judd and Ding. Snooker will survive. And if people in the UK don't want to see snooker, buck them. It can go to China and Europe where people do.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I think for every person that won't buy a ticket for a event because Ronnie's not in it, there will be enough who'll buy ticket because they want to see players like Judd and Ding. Snooker will survive. And if people in the UK don't want to see snooker, little kitten them. It can go to China and Europe where people do.

Exactly... and of course it can survive without him as I said earlier... In Europe and Asia growing massively as you said... one day the World Champs will move to China once the BBC ends their contract with that event

Postby Andre147

Interesting article in the Eurosport website regarding this decision from Ronnie:

"The Englishman's decision means he will not be in Sheffield to defend the world title he won for a fourth time by beating Ali Carter in the final last May, and his manager Django Fung confirmed that he could be leaving the game for good.

"Yes," Fung told the BBC when asked if permanent retirement was possible. "Let's hope not. You never know with Ronnie - he's an emotional player."

O'Sullivan had originally been understood to be battling depression having pulled out of last week's International Championship in China, but Fung insisted that he was "mentally fine".

"In six months time he may have decided to come back," Fung added.

"We all have personal problems and some can handle them better than others. When he has these personal problems, Ronnie finds it difficult to concentrate on snooker.

"He's had glandular fever which has been dragging on for some time.

"He also has issues with his children and getting access and he's finding it difficult with all the travelling.

"He needs to get access to see the children and sometimes that coincides with tournaments."

The player himself has admitted of late that he has been finding it hard to play with everything that is going on in his private life.

"I am struggling to get back into it and I am regretting signing up even for the tournaments I have done," said O'Sullivan in a recent interview. "I'm finding it very difficult. Last year I had a massive push at it.

"Everyone knew how difficult it was for me, but I gave it one last go with my top-16 place under threat. I won in Berlin, had a good finish to the season, capping it with a fantastic 17 days in Sheffield. It is not coming easily for me to want to practice, which is unusual for me. It is not going how I thought it would."

"I have spoken to Ronnie and he has decided to withdraw from any events he has entered, and he will not be playing for the rest of this season," said World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn.

"He has some personal issues which he needs to resolve and we wish him all the best for the future."

Think that interview Ronnie gave was during a recent Legends tournament he played.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:The likes of Williams, Carter and all the other players that Ronnie owns, must be breathing a huge sigh of relief at todays news.

if we see it on that perspective, then no doubt yeah

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:The likes of Williams, Carter and all the other players that Ronnie owns, must be breathing a huge sigh of relief at todays news.

carter maybe but the likes of Williams play snooker to play the likes of Ronnie.

he might joke about it on twitter but he would rather that Ronnie plays.

Postby Roland

Skullman wrote:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/other/ ... 11_record/

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:
Skullman wrote:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/other/ ... 11_record/

Looks like the game is in disarray over the Ronnie's withdrawal.

Postby Roland

Well, you could argue that people may have bought tickets thinking they were going to see Ronnie, but the point is life goes on. I hope Ronnie sorts out his problems and comes back with renewed vigor, I hope he doesn't leave it too late e.g. 5 years and not be able to play to the same standard when he comes back.

Postby Cannonball

It's just starting to sink in, and I am really saddened, nae depressed by the news today. I have very little interest in tournaments this year now, even the worlds. I just hope Trump can raise his game to become a great, talented champion. Unfortunately, even Trump lacks the talent Ronnie has. This is a huge loss. Trouble genius with a talent that no-one in the history of the game can match for sure. When he's gone folk will finally realise just how good he was, because there will be a huge vacuum. Without Ronnie, we merely have a lot of bots like the jester from Leicester plying their trade. They are dreary. Remember his record breaking 147, that amazing 92 break at this year's worlds, beating players with his 'wrong' hand. The snooker world will be very much poorer without its magician.

Postby Cannonball

If he's in the jungle or on ice, I'll watch it; ROS has personality! Maybe they can smuggle a table into the jungle? Or he can dance on a snooker table instead?

Postby Roland

Have to say I was impressed with ITV4 for making such a great documentary. That's definitely one for the dvd collection. Some great footage of Ronnie as a kid and insight into the competitive mind he had at such a young age. It's a shame they only skimmed over the 2nd and 3rd World titles, and of course being ITV4 they had to have Power Snooker in there at some point. But you can forgive them because the entire programme was gripping.

There's no doubt the announcement today was to coincide with the documentary, and hats off to Ronnie for that. I still think he'll come back next season or when the money list and flat draws comes in, but I hope he enjoys his time until then and obviously that he does miss the game and wants to come back.

Postby Andre147

Wish I had watched it... seems to have been a great documentary inside the troubled genious in the name of Ronnie O'Sullivan...

I'll try and search some clips of it or whatever..

Postby Witz78

damn, just back in from the snooker club, match dragged on so missed itv4+1

he def wont be on dancing on ice, he broke his ankle not that long ago didnt he so hed hardly risk permanent paralysis on the ice

Postby Cannonball

Thankyou Barry Hearn for helping to force out the greatest talent we ever had. Talk about a muppet killing the goose that lays the golden egg. He will have plenty of offers to do this and that in the media. If he doesn't enjoy practice, as he says he does not, it's curtains really. Even Ronnie can't win matches without practice. I hope he can overcome his demons, and see more of his kids. It's the minimum he deserves for providing so much pleasure to the public.

The reason a lot of folk won't turn up to see tournaments now is not because they'll miss seeing ROS play; it's because they won't see the tournaments as valid without him in the mix. Most people who buy tickets for the worlds (etc) don't get to see ROS play but they attend because they see the tournament as relevant and meaningful. Imagine if Man Utd pulled out of the Premiership; even the Liverpool fans would say it's not the same.

It's hard for me to believe that the Nugget is still going and Hendry and ROS ain't playing. Bizarre!

Postby Andre147

Trumpster wrote:Thankyou Barry Hearn for helping to force out the greatest talent we ever had. Talk about a muppet killing the goose that lays the golden egg. He will have plenty of offers to do this and that in the media. If he doesn't enjoy practice, as he says he does not, it's curtains really. Even Ronnie can't win matches without practice. I hope he can overcome his demons, and see more of his kids. It's the minimum he deserves for providing so much pleasure to the public.

The reason a lot of folk won't turn up to see tournaments now is not because they'll miss seeing ROS play; it's because they won't see the tournaments as valid without him in the mix. Most people who buy tickets for the worlds (etc) don't get to see ROS play but they attend because they see the tournament as relevant and meaningful. Imagine if Man Utd pulled out of the Premiership; even the Liverpool fans would say it's not the same.

It's hard for me to believe that the Nugget is still going and Hendry and ROS ain't playing. Bizarre!

A bit hard to believe yeah, but at the end of the day it isn't Davis fault... Hendry retired because he decided that he had enough of the game and wasn't playing to the standard he would wish to play... as for Ronnie... well we all know he has to sort out his personal problems and that's when he will be fully prepared to play again, plus th fact that his illness of glandular fever doesn't help matters that's for sure.

The game will definately be poorer without him, but as I have been saying the it will survive without him... no player is bigger than the game itself... but it certainly is a sad day to hear that he intends not to play anymore, at least for this season. Let's hope he'll be fully fit for the next one if he decides to carry on.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Well I hope that's the end of Ronnie and he doesn't come skulking back hoping for the sympathy vote

I do agree with what a lot of people are saying in that Snooker this decade is very difficult to sell to the public but O'Sullivan is no massive lost

Postby Monique

for those who haven't seen it and want to the ITV4 documentary on ROS will be repeated on Friday evening and Monday evening (9 and 12 Nov.).

There is also those links on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8uo5PV8 ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjKMoPDF ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLJvkheKoh4&feature=plcp

but the very first part is missing.

Postby Monique

Jewell wrote:Mate, Hendry retired because he couldn't refuse the cash that was being thrown his way. Now that's not a dig at Hendry, he took the route that was best for him, but I fully believe Hendry would still be on tour right now grinding away if it wasn't for the chinese cash.

That's nonsense.
Hendry retired primarily because he felt that he couldn't play anymore to the standards he set for himself. He gave himself a season to get back to top 16 and having failed to do it, decided that he didn't want to embarrass himself any further; the man has some pride. The packed schedule and having to struggle through PTCs - minor events that he sees as pointless - to survive in the rankings wasn't to his liking. Those were the main factors. The fact that he was offered a lucrative deal in China, only reinforced his decision.