Post a reply

Re: Ronnie pulls out of the 2012/13 season

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Of course Ronnie won't be at the factory producing the product of whatever sponsor they manage to muster up. Nice of you twist the comment to suit your own pathetic agenda.

Wild <doh>

do you know what irony is ??

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:Of course Ronnie won't be at the factory producing the product of whatever sponsor they manage to muster up. Nice of you twist the comment to suit your own pathetic agenda.

Wild <doh>

do you know what irony is ??

He knows what i-ronnie is :chuckle:

Postby Alex0paul

Wild WC wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:The only reason I could see Hearn trying to get O'Sullivan to play is because of the pressures from whoever the new sponsors are. I'm sure companies are holding out as they don't want to pay out unless O'Sullivan is there which will improve their product. Possibly why we still have no sponsor for the Championship.

how will it improve their product ?

will ronnie be at the factory helping to produce the product ?

maybe barry is persuading Ronnie to take a 9-5 job at the factory of the new sponsor.

i can just see Ronnie with an apron helping to produce puka pies :-)

You have misunderstood the meaning of product. I meant product as in brand.

Postby Lucky

Wild <doh>

Agenda.......my mostest favourite weasel word rofl

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:The only reason I could see Hearn trying to get O'Sullivan to play is because of the pressures from whoever the new sponsors are. I'm sure companies are holding out as they don't want to pay out unless O'Sullivan is there which will improve their product. Possibly why we still have no sponsor for the Championship.

how will it improve their product ?

will ronnie be at the factory helping to produce the product ?

maybe barry is persuading Ronnie to take a 9-5 job at the factory of the new sponsor.

i can just see Ronnie with an apron helping to produce puka pies :-)

You have misunderstood the meaning of product. I meant product as in brand.

i know what you meant and of course having Ronnie there will boost the championship commercially everyone likes a comeback.

i guess watch this space

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Say what you will about my views, at least I'm consistent. Unlike some who come out with conflicting statements depending on who the player is.

ill give you that

your definitely consistent you and selby are like 2 peas in a pod.

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:right sod this, im away to the Q Club for a game, if i see Angles or Mags ill pass on your regards Snooky...... :D

Have not seen Stephen or Alan for a few years now since I stopped playing(I miss not playing).

Postby vodkadiet

Hearn wants O'Sullivan at any event. He is the top drawer for most fans.

However, no one player should be more important than any other. Snooker needs to forget O'Sullivan and move on. If he returns it probably won't be for very long, and to rely on him to be the flag bearer for another 5 years is not being realistic. I would rather O'Sullivan come back for Sheffield as it would be better for the event. I would rather see him lose than not be there.

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:It's part of Hearn's job to create new stars that people will want to see. By begging Ronnie to come back, he is either admitting he is not upto the task or is just being lazy by relying on Ronnie.

Hearn needs to start living up to his reputation as a superstar promoter and create characters that can take Ronnie's place amongst the public view.

The public like to see a player lose form and no longer be a contender. Bjorn Borg retired with many questions unanswered. In many ways O'Sullivan's leagcy would be better served with him leaving as The World Champion.

Postby Muppet147

I wouldn't mind seeing Ronnie come back for the worlds. He is quite an obnoxious figure when interviewed but he is one hell of a snooker player.

If he doesn't, I'm sure we'll all get over it. There are still some characters left in the game. (Though Selby isn't one of them.)

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:It's part of Hearn's job to create new stars that people will want to see. By begging Ronnie to come back, he is either admitting he is not upto the task or is just being lazy by relying on Ronnie.

Hearn needs to start living up to his reputation as a superstar promoter and create characters that can take Ronnie's place amongst the public view.

:goodpost:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

:goodpost:

the Characters are there to take over the Problem is the Press/TV/Some Fans always harp back to the past always streaming Davis and White playing marmite instead of showing new Players ...

without exposure they wont get the Publicity needed.

Postby SnookerFan

Don't get me wrong, I can see the point being made. If the press like to talk about Ronnie and nobody else, than sponsors will want Ronnie to be there. Like Witz says, if Ronnie is there every paper in the country will be chatting about the tournament, and mentioning the sponsors name over and over and over and over again. That won't happen if Ronnie is not there.

The thing is, that's not Ronnie's problem. If he feels he's achieved enough in snooker, and just doesn't want to come back, then there's no reason for him to do so. He won't care how much the papers are mentioning the tournaments or the sponsors. Nor should he.

If Hearn can get him back, great. But Ronnie's going to retire eventually, and even if he postpones it, he's still going to have the No-Ronnie Problem next year or the year after or ten years down the line, or whenever. He will sooner or later have to deal with the fact that Ronnie isn't there. Bringing him back for this year's world championship is only going to be a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

If Ronnie is adamant he doesn't want to play, Hearn should leave him alone and try to find a way to popularise the sport without him.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 13 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Monique

I agree with the above and I think the whole situation is unfair in more ways than one.
Focusing on just one player, brilliant as he might be, is unfair to all other top class professionals - and there are many - who should be promoted and given the exposure their skills and achievements deserve.
It's unfair on Ronnie, who should be allowed to make decisions for himself away from pressures. The guy has been in the pro game for 20 years, he's achieved a lot despite battling well documented personal issues throughout and he's got nothing left to prove either to others or to himself.
And I'm afraid the pattern might continue, even if Ronnie does not come back.
Just look at the matches selected for streaming. They often seem to be chosen much more on the basis of who is playing rather than the interest of the match. Seeing Higgins or Selby crushing a helpless nobody is hardly enthralling. Tomorrow, as Mark Selby withdrew, they will show Jimmy White v Liu Chuang. As much as Jimmy has given to the game and as much as I admire his "stainless" love for it, he only rarely produces the goods in competition nowadays. Why not show the battle of the young Thais instead? Or, as we are in Scotland McManus or young Scot Donaldson one? The latter at least would be exposure for a young local talent?

Postby Alpha

Good posts from SnookerFan and Monique. I bet if anyone asked O'Sullivan what he actually wanted, after 20 years as a pro and having won everything there is to win in thegame several times over, he'd probably say "to be left alone".

Postby vodkadiet

I wonder if any bookmakers are laying prices about O'Sullivan playing at The Crucible or not? I would have a hefty sum on him playing.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:I wonder if any bookmakers are laying prices about O'Sullivan playing at The Crucible or not? I would have a hefty sum on him playing.

mate you have placed the ultimate bet for a vegan

ENJOY

Postby king.kauto

vodkadiet wrote:I wonder if any bookmakers are laying prices about O'Sullivan playing at The Crucible or not? I would have a hefty sum on him playing.

There is no prices on him playing, but you can get 15/2 on him to win it.

Postby vodkadiet

Wild WC wrote:

mate you have placed the ultimate bet for a vegan

ENJOY

I was brought up on fish and chips every Friday. That is one thing I miss.