Post a reply

Re: Ronnie pulls out of the 2012/13 season

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:
Sonny wrote:Apparently he said as much in an interview on Phoenix FM this afternoon.

sorry the top post was in response to smart

i missed you saying he might defend the World Title.

hope he does defend it but it does seem a bit me me me and looking for some publicity

I don't know who started this rumour but I listened to the phoenix fm show and I didn't hear Ronnie say anything suggesting that he will defend his World title come April. Paul Golder who was doing the show with him just tweeted to snookerbacker that he can't remember him saying that and that if he did he didn't mean it. Actually Ronnie looked quite happy and relieved to be out of it all - and said so. He might change his mind of course, but if that show is anything to go by I'd say it's unlikely that we see him play competive snooker ever again.

Postby Skullman

Wild WC wrote:should they freeze his ranking like they did or going to do with Paul Hunter ??

He's not dying. Okay, he has depression but so did Dott and Allen and nothing was done for them. MJW had some problems that led to his fall in the rankings a few years ago, didn't he? Why should Ronnie get preferrential treatment because of something he decided to do?

Postby Skullman

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:should they freeze his ranking like they did or going to do with Paul Hunter ??

For the sake of the sport, yes. Snooker is on its knees, dying a slow death, at the moment. We need the prodigal son Ronnie to return to save snooker!

I think people are overreacting. We haven't seen any big events after Ronnie's break to show the effect it's had. Snooker doesn't die just because some fanboys say so. Ronnie was a bit player in quite a few events and they all did well.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:
By Shamoon Hafez
BBC Sport

Hendry told BBC Sport

After winning the International Championship in China last week, Trump replaced Selby as the sport's world number one.
Hendry held top spot for nearly a decade during the 90s and feels the Romford man is now there to stay.
He said: "I loved raising my game and keeping others down, and I am sure Judd will be the same - he will want to stay there now and not give up his number one ranking.
"It is a great time to be Judd Trump. He is world number one, full of confidence and he seems to be enjoying the game, his life and is a young, single guy who can travel around the world and play in tournaments. He has age in on his side.
"The likes of Higgins and Williams are in their mid-30s now, they will not be playing forever. I don't really see any younger players who will be regular tournament winners. I just don't see where the challenge to Judd is going to come from."

So in other words, Judd is going to dominate in an era where he won't have any real challengers to his crown. A big fish in small pond, so to speak.

Hmm, reminds me of another past player who also dominated in a weak era with no rivals or challengers. His name currently escapes me...

There you go again with the weak eras thing :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby Skullman

Jewell wrote:
By Shamoon Hafez
BBC Sport

Hendry told BBC Sport

After winning the International Championship in China last week, Trump replaced Selby as the sport's world number one.
Hendry held top spot for nearly a decade during the 90s and feels the Romford man is now there to stay.
He said: "I loved raising my game and keeping others down, and I am sure Judd will be the same - he will want to stay there now and not give up his number one ranking.
"It is a great time to be Judd Trump. He is world number one, full of confidence and he seems to be enjoying the game, his life and is a young, single guy who can travel around the world and play in tournaments. He has age in on his side.
"The likes of Higgins and Williams are in their mid-30s now, they will not be playing forever. I don't really see any younger players who will be regular tournament winners. I just don't see where the challenge to Judd is going to come from."

So in other words, Judd is going to dominate in an era where he won't have any real challengers to his crown. A big fish in small pond, so to speak.

Hmm, reminds me of another past player who also dominated in a weak era with no rivals or challengers. His name currently escapes me...

Joe Davis?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Jewell wrote:
By Shamoon Hafez
BBC Sport

Hendry told BBC Sport

Joe Davis?

rofl rofl rofl rofl Good one Skull

Postby Snooker Overdrive

This is a very tough time for Ronnie fans right now. Not only that he's presumably done with this season without even starting it but also that there's this uncertainty about his future. If he told us that he's done with snooker for good we could all pay him tribute and applaud to his great career and close this chapter in our minds. But right now he could even return for the World Championship in 2013. Now there's still hope he might come back and that uncertainty is especially very hard on us Ronnie fans.

I think he'll come back at some stage, maybe in May, maybe next season, maybe in 3 years but something tells me that he will. At least I hope he will, I really do. I know going out as the WC is great but in the end I want him to play, I don't care if he'll ever be as good as again he was in 2012, I would really like him to play professionally again.

Ronnie had 2 very strange years. He was pulling out left and right in 2010/11 and had no motivation whatsoever. But he came back with great purpose. He played most of the PTCs and dug deep all season and awarded himself with two of his greatest ever victories: Berlin and Sheffield. Last season looked like he wanted to give it one last shot to climb on top of the world once again. He did that.

Now it looks like he has enough. Who can blame him? But it's a very sad moment. We might never see him play professionally ever again.

Ronnie was the reason why I started watching snooker, he made me love snooker, the greatest sport in the world. I will always watch snooker but it will never be the same without O'Sullivan.

I really hope he returns but if not I'm incredibly thankful for all the unforgettable moments Ronnie gave us.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This is a very tough time for Ronnie fans right now. Not only that he's presumably done with this season without even starting it but also that there's this uncertainty about his future. If he told us that he's done with snooker for good we could all pay him tribute and applaud to his great career and close this chapter in our minds. But right now he could even return for the World Championship in 2013. Now there's still hope he might come back and that uncertainty is especially very hard on us Ronnie fans.

I think he'll come back at some stage, maybe in May, maybe next season, maybe in 3 years but something tells me that he will. At least I hope he will, I really do. I know going out as the WC is great but in the end I want him to play, I don't care if he'll ever be as good as again he was in 2012, I would really like him to play professionally again.

Ronnie had 2 very strange years. He was pulling out left and right in 2010/11 and had no motivation whatsoever. But he came back with great purpose. He played most of the PTCs and dug deep all season and awarded himself with two of his greatest ever victories: Berlin and Sheffield. Last season looked like he wanted to give it one last shot to climb on top of the world once again. He did that.

Now it looks like he has enough. Who can blame him? But it's a very sad moment. We might never see him play professionally ever again.

Ronnie was the reason why I started watching snooker, he made me love snooker, the greatest sport in the world. I will always watch snooker but it will never be the same without O'Sullivan.

I really hope he returns but if not I'm incredibly thankful for all the unforgettable moments Ronnie gave us.

Great Post <ok>

Alex Higgins was the reason i watched snooker in very the same way as Ronnie did it for you but i moved on and although its different for me now its not worst.

Postby Andre147

Wild WC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:This is a very tough time for Ronnie fans right now. Not only that he's presumably done with this season without even starting it but also that there's this uncertainty about his future. If he told us that he's done with snooker for good we could all pay him tribute and applaud to his great career and close this chapter in our minds. But right now he could even return for the World Championship in 2013. Now there's still hope he might come back and that uncertainty is especially very hard on us Ronnie fans.

Great Post <ok>

Alex Higgins was the reason i watched snooker in very the same way as Ronnie did it for you but i moved on and although its different for me now its not worst.

Exactly. Like I also said in an earlier post, we all have at least one player who makes us watch the sport for the first time. Then we move on as you rightly say Wild and see the bigger picture. Of course I'll still watch snooker the same way as I have been doing with Ronnie in it, but I definately agree with Snooker Overdrive that without Ronnie there is that empty space left.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

Great Post <ok>

Exactly. Like I also said in an earlier post, we all have at least one player who makes us watch the sport for the first time. Then we move on as you rightly say Wild and see the bigger picture. Of course I'll still watch snooker the same way as I have been doing with Ronnie in it, but I definately agree with Snooker Overdrive that without Ronnie there is that empty space left.

for Randam it was Anthony Hamilton or Dominic Dale so there's no legislating for taste and what makes someone interested in anything its either right or wrong for you as a Person.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:

Excellent post.

From a personal viewpoint, I can relate to everything you've said there. That being said, I am slightly different from you in that Ronnie wasn't the reason oi first became interested in snooker, but he is the reason I've stuck with it all these years.

A part of me simply refuses to accept that we've seen the last of Ronnie, my gut feeling is we will see him again at some point, just have to keep the faith.

Despite what anyone may say, snooker will miss him big time.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise... the point is no player is bigger than the game, and we have to move on.. it is also hard for me to say this as a Ronnie fan, but that's the way it is. Snooker will continue to grow with or without him, although it suffered a major blow that's for sure.

Postby Andre147

Yeah of course it won't.. it lost one of the best players to have ever picked up a cue, so it suffered a major blow as I said. But obviously people will still be watching snooker and the game couldn't be in a better shape at the moment with all the tournaments it has and the interest around them,and we have the likes of "the number one star" (Ted Lowe's quote) Judd Trump, Robbo, Selby, Allen, Murphy, Ding, Higgins, Williams, Maguire and so on...

Postby vodkadiet

Rigsby is no loss to anyone other than fanboys. Real snooker fans can now watch the game without the hype of this miserable bore. Gone and forgotten, don't come back. Good riddance.

Postby Roland

Andre147 wrote:Yeah of course it won't.. it lost one of the best players to have ever picked up a cue, so it suffered a major blow as I said. But obviously people will still be watching snooker and the game couldn't be in a better shape at the moment with all the tournaments it has and the interest around them,and we have the likes of "the number one star" (Ted Lowe's quote) Judd Trump, Robbo, Selby, Allen, Murphy, Ding, Higgins, Williams, Maguire and so on...

Brecel, Yupeng, Advani

Postby Casey

Jewell wrote:

For the sake of the sport, yes. Snooker is on its knees, dying a slow death, at the moment. We need the prodigal son Ronnie to return to save snooker!

Snooker is experiencing unprecedented growth. More tournaments than ever, more money than every, more sponsors than ever, record ticket sales for the two biggest events, more TV hours than ever.

You couldn't be further from the truth Jewell.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Casey wrote:
Jewell wrote:

Snooker is experiencing unprecedented growth. More tournaments than ever, more money than every, more sponsors than ever, record ticket sales for the two biggest events, more TV hours than ever.

Credit to Hearn, the guy is a wonderful spin doctor. He seems to have gotten most people singing from HIS hymn sheet but delve a little deeper and suddenly things aren't as rosy as they seem. :td:

enlighten us then mr buisness brain

Postby Casey

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:
Casey wrote:

Credit to Hearn, the guy is a wonderful spin doctor. He seems to have gotten most people singing from HIS hymn sheet but delve a little deeper and suddenly things aren't as rosy as they seem. :td:

enlighten us then mr buisness brain

Okay then, I will.

For starters, he has managed to force out the sport's star light and major attraction, Ronnie O'Sullivan. If Hearn hadn't kept insisting on the onerous sponsership commitments at the tournaments then Ronnie would still be around, in my opinion. Hearn needs to realise that players are human beings and not commodities for him to do with as he wishes. I can see him forcing Trump down this road, at some point in the future.

Secondly, the whole sponsorship of tournaments is a red-herring which most people don't seem to get. Don't get me wrong, I am happy most tournaments have sponsors, but my problem is they are all mostly bookmakers. We all saw what happened to snooker the last time it put all it's eggs in one basket (tobbacco industry). If Hearn really was this great promotions man that he is cracked up to be then why has he not been able to diversify snooker's income? Also, why are most sponsors only sticking around for one year and then deserting? :chin:

PTCs. These tournaments are a joke and I think most of us will agree on that. The foreign ones seem to have a good vibe about them but when will they be upgraded to full rankers? I thought that's what the plan was originally? The likes of the PHC and Antwerp Open are still a million years from becoming full rankers, in which case you have to ask yourself, why do the players bother? Why bother playing in these tin-pot events if they will always remain just that, TIN-POT. I'll tell you why, it's because Hearn has blackmailed the players into playing, that's why. Nobody plays in these because they actually want to.

Money rankings. This one is nothing more than an ego trip for Hearn, I'm afraid. He wants the whole world to see what a great job he is doing by showcasing the player's earnings.[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsorship - You are wrong, way off in fact. Only 3 tournaments/series have bookmakers as their sponsor.

PTC's - The European one's are growing and we are starting to see smaller tournaments grow into full events - Wuxi for example. Also whilst the UK market might not be gagging for these tournaments, they still pull in big figures.

Ronnie - Ronnie pulled out because of himself, he can't travel the World and see his kids so he has to do what is right for him. Also, it's not Hearn that dictates the additional promotional work - it's the sponsors. They want to get value for money, so who can blame them? This is nothing new in sport, do you think McIlroy, Federer, Messi don't have to put in an extra shift for the money men?

Overall, your point that the game is on it's knees is completely wrong - couldn't be further from the truth and the game has never been in a better shape. it's not perfect and is years away from being so. However I would say it's only fanboys who don't know the real story that are blaming Hearn for Ronnie.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Okay then, I will.

For starters, he has managed to force out the sport's star light and major attraction, Ronnie O'Sullivan. If Hearn hadn't kept insisting on the onerous sponsership commitments at the tournaments then Ronnie would still be around, in my opinion. Hearn needs to realise that players are human beings and not commodities for him to do with as he wishes. I can see him forcing Trump down this road, at some point in the future.

the sport dont revolve around Ronnie

every player has a responsability to sponsors ...The sponsors wanted the time of the games greatest commodity not Hearn

They put Money in.

Jewell wrote:Secondly, the whole sponsorship of tournaments is a red-herring which most people don't seem to get. Don't get me wrong, I am happy most tournaments have sponsors, but my problem is they are all mostly bookmakers. We all saw what happened to snooker the last time it put all it's eggs in one basket (tobbacco industry). If Hearn really was this great promotions man that he is cracked up to be then why has he not been able to diversify snooker's income? Also, why are most sponsors only sticking around for one year and then deserting? :chin:

i agree we do need more variety of sponsors thats common sense but do you really think hearn don't know that but beggers cant be choosers ...When hearn took over Snooker was on it Knees with virtually no Tournaments the players and in particularly Ronnie suggested Barry Hearn to be the man to put snooker back on the map whitch he is in the middle of Doing.

Jewell wrote:PTCs. These tournaments are a joke and I think most of us will agree on that. The foreign ones seem to have a good vibe about them but when will they be upgraded to full rankers? I thought that's what the plan was originally? The likes of the PHC and Antwerp Open are still a million years from becoming full rankers, in which case you have to ask yourself, why do the players bother? Why bother playing in these tin-pot events if they will always remain just that, TIN-POT. I'll tell you why, it's because Hearn has blackmailed the players into playing, that's why. Nobody plays in these bacause they actually want to.

All Sports need variety of Big and Small events every tournament cant be a World Championship that would take away prestige of the event.

The European ones will Grow but you need cash to do that and at the Moment in Europe nobody wants to put their Money up to Sponsor Full rankers on china's Scale but it will come given time Rome was not build in a day....Snooker was neglected for years and admins Complacent

and these PTC Gives opportunity to Amateur players on a scale they never had before which must be a Good thing for future Generation of players.

for these Smaller Events to grow become full rankers Blackmail was inevitable because Top Players has to help to sell them and in that respect some have been Lacking naming no names.

Jewell wrote:Money rankings. This one is nothing more than an ego trip for Hearn, I'm afraid. He wants the whole world to see what a great job he is doing by showcasing the player's earnings.

i disagree with Money Rankings because it will make PTC Less important and meaning players can pick and chose so im slightly confused why you dont like them.

Postby Roland

Jewell wrote:Okay then, I will.

Secondly, the whole sponsorship of tournaments is a red-herring which most people don't seem to get. Don't get me wrong, I am happy most tournaments have sponsors, but my problem is they are all mostly bookmakers. We all saw what happened to snooker the last time it put all it's eggs in one basket (tobbacco industry). If Hearn really was this great promotions man that he is cracked up to be then why has he not been able to diversify snooker's income? Also, why are most sponsors only sticking around for one year and then deserting? :chin:

PTCs. These tournaments are a joke and I think most of us will agree on that. The foreign ones seem to have a good vibe about them but when will they be upgraded to full rankers? I thought that's what the plan was originally? The likes of the PHC and Antwerp Open are still a million years from becoming full rankers, in which case you have to ask yourself, why do the players bother? Why bother playing in these tin-pot events if they will always remain just that, TIN-POT. I'll tell you why, it's because Hearn has blackmailed the players into playing, that's why. Nobody plays in these bacause they actually want to.

Money rankings. This one is nothing more than an ego trip for Hearn, I'm afraid. He wants the whole world to see what a great job he is doing by showcasing the player's earnings.

Agree about bookmakers sponsoring everything and money rankings which are a crap idea, but everything else you've written is misinformed or badly interpreted.

Postby Wildey

i think its important to note when Ding won the China Open in 2005 and williams in 2006 the Winner Recieved £30,000 in that country's only Event

Today there's 5 Events with Minimum of £75,000 and Maximum of £125,000

China has Gone from a £200,000 prize pot to over 2.2 Million in 6 years.

Postby Casey

Jewell wrote:@Wild and Casey

Ronnie, although being the WC, isn't even ranked in the top 10. So why do the sponsors want him more than anybody else? Hearn as the master promoter should be looking to build up other players and try to market them better to sponsors and not just rely on Ronnie.

The PTCs fulfil a purpose, no doubt about that. What don't agree with is the top players being effectively forced to play in them.

Money rankings will allow players to pick and choose, but surely they could have done that by simply adjusting the points structure? Money rankings just smacks of self promotion.

Ronnie's contract was the same as everybody else. A defending Champion or the Champion of the event has to spend a bit of time before/after & during the event with the sponsors. Does that not make sense?

I'm not sure about the money rankings either, we will see shortly I guess. However it could be the death of some smaller events. A change in the points structure would have been much better imo.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Jewell wrote:@Wild and Casey

Ronnie, although being the WC, isn't even ranked in the top 10. So why do the sponsors want him more than anybody else? Hearn as the master promoter should be looking to build up other players and try to market them better to sponsors and not just rely on Ronnie.

The PTCs fulfil a purpose, no doubt about that. What don't agree with is the top players being effectively forced to play in them.

Money rankings will allow players to pick and choose, but surely they could have done that by simply adjusting the points structure? Money rankings just smacks of self promotion.

Ronnie's contract was the same as everybody else. A defending Champion or the Champion of the event has to spend a bit of time before/after & during the event with the sponsors. Does that not make sense?

I'm not sure about the money rankings either, we will see shortly I guess. However it could be the death of some smaller events. A change in the points structure would have been much better imo.

Exactly

He was and is World Champion surely with that comes a lot of Promotional Stuff.

Postby vodkadiet

I blame Hearn. Rigsby is retiring because of Hearn taking the game global. If Sir Rodney was still in charge we would have only 5 tournaments a year, but at least they would all be in Britain, and Rigsby would play in all of them.

Quality is better than quantity.

<ok>

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I blame Hearn. Rigsby is retiring because of Hearn taking the game global. If Sir Rodney was still in charge we would have only 5 tournaments a year, but at least they would all be in Britain, and Rigsby would play in all of them.

Quality is better than quantity.

<ok>

Plonker was a waste of space, but I suspect you already know that. Of course the Hearn regime is obviously better but that's not really saying much.

what do you mean not saying much ??

why wont you give it a go if you such a expert.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The Masters has now had four different sponsors since Hearn took over which is strange. While Hearn is certainly doing a better job than Rod the plod I think it's justified for people to be suspicious of him. Snooker was always a sport with a lot of unrealised potential. Rodney Walker always seemed to be lazy and doing just about enough to keep him in a job and nothing more. He took advantage of the low expectations post-Tobacco slump. Hearn took over with a huge Chinese and European fanbase ready to be targeted. He deserves credit for actually having tournaments there but that fanbase already existed, he didn't create it.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The Masters has now had four different sponsors since Hearn took over which is strange. While Hearn is certainly doing a better job than Rod the plod I think it's justified for people to be suspicious of him. Snooker was always a sport with a lot of unrealised potential. Rodney Walker always seemed to be lazy and doing just about enough to keep him in a job and nothing more. He took advantage of the low expectations post-Tobacco slump. Hearn took over with a huge Chinese and European fanbase ready to be targeted. He deserves credit for actually having tournaments there but that fanbase already existed, he didn't create it.

Point is there are Sponsors i Agree We need variety but every event has a sponsor on board before they take place a few years ago there was No Masters or UK Sponsor at all.