Post a reply

Re: Ronnie pulls out of the 2012/13 season

Postby Cannonball

Millions of kids have tried snooker in the far east, and Europe because of Ronnie. They didn't see Carter or the 'jester' from Leicester, and say, oh, I'd love to play snooker and grow up to be a grinder.

It's pretty much up to Trump to save us from utter boredom this season. C'mon Judd, own the stage you love.

Postby SnookerFan

Trumpster wrote:This is worse than Higgins/Reardon/Hendry retiring combined. No joke, this is like Ali retiring from boxing, Fangio hanging up his gloves, Pele and Maradonna throwing their boots in the bin. It's as bad as it gets in snooker.

The world championship is meaningless now, no defending champion, no greatest player ever. :mood:

A reminder of why Ronnie really is the greatest ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY15samN7t8

Yes. Because after Ali retired they cancelled boxing. The last boxing match was on 11th December 1981. :|

Postby Monique

Stephen Hendry has expressed his views on Ronnie's decision as well as on Judd's future. Here is the interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20253846
Stephen Hendry: Ronnie O'Sullivan loss a blow to snooker

By Shamoon Hafez
BBC Sport
Seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry says Ronnie O'Sullivan's decision to pull out of the 2012-13 season is a "massive blow" for snooker.
O'Sullivan announced he would be withdrawing from the rest of the campaign because of "personal issues."
"In snooker we have very few superstars and Ronnie was a superstar. The crowds that came to watch him were larger than for any other player," said Hendry.
The Scot now expects Judd Trump to be number one for the next 10 to 15 years.

Hendry told BBC Sport: "The likes of Trump, John Higgins, Mark Selby and Mark Williams will be rubbing their hands now that the world champion, the best player in the world, has decided not to play again. It has certainly made their job a lot easier."

Reigning world champion O'Sullivan announced he would be taking a six-month sabbatical from the sport after winning the title in May.
Having signed the players' contract in August to end his self-imposed exile, he was expected to play at the inaugural International Championship in China earlier this month but withdrew on doctors' advice.
And the 36-year-old Englishman has since revealed he will not be taking part in the remainder of the snooker calendar.
Hendry retired from the sport in May after a heavy 13-2 defeat to fellow countryman Stephen Maguire in the quarter-finals of the World Championship.
The 43-year-old, who says he should have quit the sport earlier than he did, won 36 ranking event titles during his career - the last being the Malta Cup in 2005.
Although he supports O'Sullivan's choices, Hendry was shocked by his old rival's decision not to compete in the major events.
"I hope we see him back playing one day because he is the best player in the world. There is no doubt he will go down in history as one of the best players of all time," said Hendry.
"But I am surprised by his decision because he won't play in the UK, Masters or defend his World Championship - the three blue riband events.
"He has achieved everything he wanted to achieve and has nothing to prove. If he doesn't pick up a cue again then nobody can take away what he has done in the game.
"Like I found as well, if you are not enjoying the game, then don't play. The most important thing for a person is their health and enjoyment of life."

After winning the International Championship in China last week, Trump replaced Selby as the sport's world number one.
Hendry held top spot for nearly a decade during the 90s and feels the Romford man is now there to stay.
He said: "I loved raising my game and keeping others down, and I am sure Judd will be the same - he will want to stay there now and not give up his number one ranking.
"It is a great time to be Judd Trump. He is world number one, full of confidence and he seems to be enjoying the game, his life and is a young, single guy who can travel around the world and play in tournaments. He has age in on his side.
"The likes of Higgins and Williams are in their mid-30s now, they will not be playing forever. I don't really see any younger players who will be regular tournament winners. I just don't see where the challenge to Judd is going to come from."

bold added by me.

Postby Sickpotter

Trumpster wrote:Millions of kids have tried snooker in the far east, and Europe because of Ronnie. They didn't see Carter or the 'jester' from Leicester, and say, oh, I'd love to play snooker and grow up to be a grinder.

It's pretty much up to Trump to save us from utter boredom this season. C'mon Judd, own the stage you love.

Good thing you know what attracted these millions to the sport :roll:

You're just the kind of "fan" this sport needs, go watch 9-ball

Postby Smart

Sickpotter wrote:
Trumpster wrote:Millions of kids have tried snooker in the far east, and Europe because of Ronnie. They didn't see Carter or the 'jester' from Leicester, and say, oh, I'd love to play snooker and grow up to be a grinder.

Good thing you know what attracted these millions to the sport :roll:

You're just the kind of "fan" this sport needs, go watch 9-ball

Basher Judd is not an exciting player. .......he is just manufactured like Blobbo and Wenny. Snooker died yesterday. I have the flags at half mast and my keyboard is covered in tears. RIP Snooker :wave:

Postby Wildey

Ronnie has hardly played for 2 years Tournaments that he was Missing was Huge success.

of course missing someone of his ilk as World Champion is a Blow but everyone will get over it.

Postby Smart

Wild WC wrote:Ronnie has hardly played for 2 years Tournaments that he was Missing was Huge success.

of course missing someone of his ilk as World Champion is a Blow but everyone will get over it.

Why were schedulers always playing around so that ROS matches were on the afternoons in Sheffield......? Perhaps cos he filled out the venue no matter what session they put him on. Big loss, huge void now.

I wonder how many people are now looking to return their tickets for either York or Sheffield or the Masters.....?

A world championship without the world champion, hmmmm thats not very good at all.

:wave:

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:A world championship without the world champion, hmmmm thats not very good at all.

maybe not but whos fault is that ?

the man himself he could have said he will only play at Sheffield but he didn't.

so we move on

Postby Smart

Wild WC wrote:
Smart wrote:A world championship without the world champion, hmmmm thats not very good at all.

maybe not but whos fault is that ?

the man himself he could have said he will only play at Sheffield but he didn't.

so we move on

Not blaming anyone, just a rubbish situation. It will be another tournament where the winner will be given hollow status as the year ROS did not defend his title. Irritating. :wave:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Apparently he said as much in an interview on Phoenix FM this afternoon.

up his own ass then

because i dont believe that for one minute.

Postby Wildey

hold on isn't ronnie pulling out for personal reasons ?

so where does a interview on a radio station fit in .

Dancing on Ice in January ?

Postby Roland

Wild WC wrote:hold on isn't ronnie pulling out for personal reasons ?

Didn't you watch the ITV4 documentary?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:

Didn't you watch the ITV4 documentary?

no missed it got it sky plused though .

Postby Witz78

no chance, his broken ankles only just healed

who knows, maybe hell do a Jimmy and appear in the Jungle tho haha

Postby Roland

Watch it first because it explains a lot. It wouldn't be that surprising if he came back for the Crucible. Plus it would make him top 16 under the moneylist if he won it for probably the next couple of seasons.

Also Wild you'll love some of the quotes from him as a kid.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Apparently he said as much in an interview on Phoenix FM this afternoon.

sorry the top post was in response to smart

i missed you saying he might defend the World Title.

hope he does defend it but it does seem a bit me me me and looking for some publicity

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:Imagine if he did big brother or celeb or DOI .......loads of snooks would tune in. <ok>

Wild watches DOI anyway regardless of whos on it :limp:

Not sure if hes as keen on it now that Jason Gardner :limp2: AKA Selby has been replaced by Louie Spence :ymca:

Postby Andre147

Wild WC wrote:

sorry the top post was in response to smart

i missed you saying he might defend the World Title.

hope he does defend it but it does seem a bit me me me and looking for some publicity

I would also like him to defend his title of course, as I would with any other player who had won the World Champs... But I'm with Wild on this one.... don't think he will