Post a reply

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Skullman

Judd has every right to give his opinion on Ebdon's style of play. We have every right to give our opinion on his opinion. It's nice to see what the players think, as long as it's not offensive (basically half of what Mark Allen says), and it's not like others haven't said the same..

Postby Skullman

vodkadiet wrote:Judd Trump has A.D.D. so it is hardly surprising what he said about Ebdon.

In addition, Trump is aware that Ebdon was in Carter's corner when Carter beat him at The Crucible. Sour grapes?

Some find Trump boring to watch. His style of play is very limited, and however quick he plays, it can be monotonous.

Ebdon to me is one of the only characters left in snooker, and I would rather watch him the vast majority of other players.

I don't watch snooker this time of year but occasionally catch up with what has happened. I notice Ebdon's shot time against Junhui was 38 seconds. That was par for for the course when I started watching snooker as a kid.

It is a good job no one on here ever saw Robbie Foldvari playing a qualifying match at Preston in the late 80s!

Trump is a mindless pin end! A failed international playboy infact.

We need both Ebdon and Trump, they're both unique, although Trump's more likely to get copycats than Ebdon I expect.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
We need both Ebdon and Trump, they're both unique, although Trump's more likely to get copycats than Ebdon I expect.

If everybody played like Trump, there'd be no variety. And nobody would be calling Trump an exciting young talent. They'd be calling him a young player who played like everyone else.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:

If everybody played like Trump, there'd be no variety. And nobody would be calling Trump an exciting young talent. They'd be calling him a young player who played like everyone else.

exactly

you need rubbish to appreciate cleanliness.

Postby AC or LT?

Personally I can't wait for the world championship where the semi-finals and final pan out like this

S1Carter v McLeod
S2 Dott v Ebdon
Final Ebdon v McLeod

It would be great to see real grinding matchplay snooker. I'd rather watch players tieing eachother up in knots for hours on end than a 15 minute 80 break to win a frame.

Postby jojo

i have nothing against ebdon and i love it when he resort to his tactics against the bigger players it make for compelling viewing however in this day and age of hearn trying to revolutionalise the game attracting younger viewers and the like it wont be good to have someone like ebdon winning two ranking events in the last four even though they the smaller ones

that doesnt mean to say snooker should be speeded up i would hate that snooker is about more than just pottiing balls it psychological more than anything his tactics are fascinating but tell me what good did todays final or even the tournament do for the people in australia watching ebdon v hawkins in the final with some of the best players deciding not to turn up ?

there could be a case to say it did more harm than good i read somewhere sections of the crowd disappeared mid match because of ebdons tactics

Postby SnookerFan

Wild WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:

exactly

Ebdon is hardly rubbish. He's just got a style of play that won't be appreciated by the majority of the fans in the modern era. Still a great player, obviously.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:

exactly

Ebdon is hardly rubbish. He's just got a style of play that won't be appreciated by the majority of the fans in the modern era. Still a great player, obviously.

did not say ebdon is rubbish but at the same time his game at the moment is rubbish even he admitted to that in his interview yesterday talking about his Ferrel needed replacing and all sort of stuff to try and explain why his game is so shitty.

players has to look in the mirror and ask themselves about their own game "if ebdon can reach finals playing like that why cant us" younger players has to start to produce because we are going backwards as a sport and not progressing standard wise.

Postby Skullman

Young players lack a B game. They don't know how to win playing rubbish, they can only win when the long pots go in and they break build heavily.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Young players lack a B game. They don't know how to win playing rubbish, they can only win when the long pots go in and they break build heavily.

point is why ?

they think they better than they really are and the penny takes far too long to drop.

Postby SnookerFan

I wouldn't say the game isn't progressing, but I know what you mean.

Look at a lot the young Chinese players? A lot of them are trying to be all out attack like Ding was when he started, Ding has developed different aspects of his game. It's okay going for everything if you can pot every ball on the table. But who has that form all the time? Nobody. You have to have a safety game too. Like you say, winning when not at your best is a skill. And a skill you need to be a top player.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I wouldn't say the game isn't progressing, but I know what you mean.

Look at a lot the young Chinese players? A lot of them are trying to be all out attack like Ding was when he started, Ding has developed different aspects of his game. It's okay going for everything if you can pot every ball on the table. But who has that form all the time? Nobody. You have to have a safety game too. Like you say, winning when not at your best is a skill. And a skill you need to be a top player.

what im saying is simple when Ronnie was Starting out Steve Davis was the Benchmark that Meant even as a Young player he had a very Good Safety game compared to young players today because They have the likes of Hendry and Ronnie as Benchmarks and the emphasis was on Attacking but they are Special players and too many youngsters think Copying them is the way to go which its not and its really holding back players that's why Experience Journeymen coming to the fore in 2012.

Postby jojo

been saying all along so many of these young players even players who in their prime today lack a plan b when things not going their way too many to name and im not necessarily talking about players in their early twenties even the ones slightly older in their prime like day murphy allen etc

so it no surprise players like ebdon are still competing in the lesser events using the tactics he does and it in his right to do that