Post a reply

PETER EBDON

Postby rocketfan

Watching Ebdon v Ding in Australia now. OMG, Peter Ebdon has to be the most boring player IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF
SNOOKER.

He is extremely slow, in my opinin he should be banned from professional snooker. THIS IS WHY :

He deliberately plays very slow, just to get the other players bored to death. That's the only way he can win matches.

It's a huge shame that such a player once became world champion.

BUT according to the rules, a player can take all the time he needs. Ebdon really takes advantage of this, that's for sure..

BOOOOOOOOOOORING !!

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Skullman

He doesn't care. It's not the PL, he can take his time. There have been slower players and it's up to his opponent to ignore him and play their own game. He's a legend and he's still going at 41.

:hatoff: Ebdon.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Roland

I don't enjoy watching him but it's amazing the number of people who call Selby boring and say nothing when Ebdon is playing like he has this morning by all accounts. I'm not watching, I remember struggling through the China Open semi and final with him. That'll do me for a lifetime.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby rocketfan

I bet all the other players laugh at the game he plays. There have been slower players, lol, I have difficulties believing that.
To watch Ronnie and Ebdon are two different sports !!

Hope he retires soon, Ebdon, that will be a great day for snooker !!!!

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby rocketfan

OK. Selby is boring too, compared to Ebdon though he is allright !!

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby N_Castle07

Rocketfan when you say "he deliberately plays very slow, just to get the other players bored to death" how do you know this? Are you a mind reader?

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Wildey

I Did not watch much of the match this morning BUT I enjoy watching Ebdon go on a GO Slow i find it very enjoyable watching players tearing out their hair to try and beat him and on occasions i did watch Ding was just not up to it he wanted too many chances per frame.

in the end he Lost.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Sickpotter

I'm shocked, a Ronnie fan doesn't like Ebdon :roll:

Steady Eddie C. was slower, several other pros play about the same pace. :shrug:

Find some Ritalin to help you or just don't watch him if it bothers you.

Ebdon's psychological warfare is quite entertaining to watch, particularly to see how his opponents handle them. <cool>

Snooker is more than trying to pot balls.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Muppet147

Ritalin does not 'help' you. It is a drug used by Americans to subdue their over-active children. It should be banned.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Sickpotter

Agree with the ban idea, doctors hand it out at the drop of a hat the moment the parent complains of hyper activity. Heaven forbid kids be active and run around and play, best just to drug them :roll:

BUT.....it would help those "fans" who can't sit through a frame if it doesn't involve a ton in under 8 mins ;-)

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Alpha

I'm no fan of Ebdon's but most of these players have been on the circuit long enough to know how to deal with him. And to the fsns, if you don't want to watch him, it's simple. Don't watch.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby rocketfan

N_Castle07 wrote:Rocketfan when you say "he deliberately plays very slow, just to get the other players bored to death" how do you know this? Are you a mind reader?


No I'm not. That's only my opinion. You are free to disagree.
When you do a 12 break against Ronnie in 5 min 20 seconds, it's kind of obvious !!

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby rocketfan

Alpha wrote:I'm no fan of Ebdon's but most of these players have been on the circuit long enough to know how to deal with him. And to the fsns, if you don't want to watch him, it's simple. Don't watch.


You are absolutely right. I have watched my last Ebdon match.
It's more interesting watching paint dry !

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I enjoy watching Peter Ebdon. There something special about his demeanor and approach to the game. He's a real character.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby rocketfan

"How Peter Ebdon is allowed to play that slow is a joke," said Trump on Twitter.

That's hitting the nail on the head !
The way ebdon plays is nothing less
than poor sportmanship !

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Sickpotter

rocketfan wrote:"How Peter Ebdon is allowed to play that slow is a joke," said Trump on Twitter.

That's hitting the nail on the head !
The way ebdon plays is nothing less
than poor sportmanship !


But he is allowed, if he was breaking any rules he'd be getting ref warnings.

Poor Trump, another player who's mentally weak and is affected by Ebdon's tactics. Don't like it then keep him off the table with superior play.

No poor sportsmanship by Ebdon, solid tactic that works well against mentally weak players.

You don't have to like watching slow players but you can't ban them because their natural pace is too slow for you. :roll:

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Wildey

Players has to Adapt to different Conditions and Opponents.

you just have to treat each Player as a challenge and dictate your speed on them.

in the 2011 China open Judd did exactly that against Ebdon and made Ebdon look average because his tactics did not work Judd just potted him off the table 5-1 that should be rewarding being able to do that against a player like Ebdon..

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby SnookerFan

I'm not the biggest fan of Ebdon's style of play either. He's not somebody I enjoy watching.

But I see no reason to ban him from playing. He's not doing anything illegal. Just because I personally find him boring is neither here nor there. He's trying to win a match, and he's doing that by playing the style he feels he is most successful with. Some like it, some don't. But I don't see him as doing anything wrong, or against the rules. So why ban him?

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Roland

I'm with SnookerFan, I can't always watch Ebdon, but if it's a big game and he's playing a big name and his grinding is in operation it can be entertaining to watch from a psychological warfare point of view. I choose not to watch him rather than tourist him off. He is doing nothing wrong and if it works for him then great.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Monique

There is certainly no reason to ban Ebdon for the way he played yesterday. However there is also no reason to tourist off Judd, or anyone else for saying they don't like it. Many don't like it and the arena was emptying by the minute in the middle of the match. The fact that people came back towards the end was because they were waiting for the Robbo game rather than because they were enthralled by Ebdon's grinding. BTW some claiming they like it but admitting they didn't watch it made me cringe (yes, I did watch it from start to finish). You know who you are.
Section 4 of the rules deem "unnecessary slow play" as ungentlemanly conduct though and the rules should either be applied or amended. The operative word here is "unnecessary". The rules are not about slow play - every player has their own rhythm and circumstances play their role as well - it's about deliberate waste of time. I don't think there was a case yesterday to warn Ebdon under section 4. But in other matches, there was in my opinion, and not just Ebdon. If a sports rules are not applied, they are a joke and it makes a mockery of the sport. And if the referee doesn't apply the rules, it does not make the conduct right. In football, when a blatant penalty is turned a blind eye on, or if the ball is 2 feet inside the goal but the goal is refused, the decision is final and the result stays but I've never heard anyone claiming that the decision was right or that the player guilty of the aggression did nothing wrong just because the referee turned a blind eye on it. It's the same in snooker. There have been cases in the past - some involving Ebdon - where there was blatant waste of time and it should have been dealt with under the rules of snooker, so it was wrong even if the referee didn't take their responsibilities.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Marvin42

Ebdon for me fits far more to snooker than Mr Rocket. Snoker is not mearly potting like crazy. I appreciate and admire 147s, but enjoy safety shoots more. (rocketfan, i would not refer to "sportsmanship" too much if i was a Rocket fan...)
GO EBDON!!!

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Sickpotter

IMO when Judd started chirping/twitting off about Ebdon's pace of play he becomes fair game for criticism as to the why of it.

It's not slagging, it's criticism, there's a difference. I like Judd, he's entertaining but that he feels compelled to make a comment like this shows weakness.

The moment any player starts to complain about the pace of a player you know that it's a weakness that can be exploited.

100% certain next time Ebdon and Trump run into each other in a match Ebdon's gonna grind the hell out of him. It'll be interesting to see how Judd handles it, I may have to withdraw my criticism :john:

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Roland

That's my only thoughts on it, with Judd showing that he doesn't enjoy such snooker, rest assured those who want to beat him in future will try and slow it down a bit. He's exposed a weakness and let everyone know he doesn't enjoy slow play, maybe it would've been better to keep it to himself but you can't blame him for commenting.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:That's my only thoughts on it, with Judd showing that he doesn't enjoy such snooker, rest assured those who want to beat him in future will try and slow it down a bit. He's exposed a weakness and let everyone know he doesn't enjoy slow play, maybe it would've been better to keep it to himself but you can't blame him for commenting.

its Twitter if we as Fans can criticize its his Right to do the same because he was Watching the match as a spectator and commentating on it..

How many of us has called something a Joke on here or Twitter ? Lost count so some were being self righteous beyond belief TBH..

if Ebdon takes offense its between him and Judd next time they meet.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Sickpotter

No one's saying he doesn't have the right to comment on the match but don't think for a second that a player making twitter remarks about a player/match is the same as a regular spectator.

A negative comment from a pro carries more weight than that of a fan and thus is more capable of affecting the image of the sport. It's a fine line to walk and Barry is watching ;-)

Smart players avoid twitter if they're prone to spewing out whatever passes through their mind for just this reason.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:No one's saying he doesn't have the right to comment on the match but don't think for a second that a player making twitter remarks about a player/match is the same as a regular spectator.

A negative comment from a pro carries more weight than that of a fan and thus is more capable of affecting the image of the sport. It's a fine line to walk and Barry is watching ;-)

Smart players avoid twitter if they're prone to spewing out whatever passes through their mind for just this reason.

yea But what he said was not All that Bad its just a Young player not Fully appreciating all aspect of the Sport and as has been mentioned Opened himself up and put Pressure on himself next time they meet.

Snooker is not all about Skill 90%+ of the game is played in the head.

Basically Snooker is a Head buck he will learn.

as a 18 year old Hendry said he was Falling asleep watching Dennis Taylor play in the 1987 Grand Prix they all as Kids Talk Stupid at times.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby snooky147

There are times when Ebdon has gone beyond what is acceptable, just like many others, time wise I mean but I have no confidence that any official will ever do anything to stop it ever. They just don't have either the courage or the backing of the board.

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Sickpotter

Wild WC wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:No one's saying he doesn't have the right to comment on the match but don't think for a second that a player making twitter remarks about a player/match is the same as a regular spectator.

A negative comment from a pro carries more weight than that of a fan and thus is more capable of affecting the image of the sport. It's a fine line to walk and Barry is watching ;-)

Smart players avoid twitter if they're prone to spewing out whatever passes through their mind for just this reason.

yea But what he said was not All that Bad its just a Young player not Fully appreciating all aspect of the Sport and as has been mentioned Opened himself up and put Pressure on himself next time they meet.

Snooker is not all about Skill 90%+ of the game is played in the head.

Basically Snooker is a Head buck he will learn.

as a 18 year old Hendry said he was Falling asleep watching Dennis Taylor play in the 1987 Grand Prix they all as Kids Talk Stupid at times.


I don't think it was all that bad either, Hearn likely won't care.

I just wanted to note that Twitter tends to be bad thing for young pros to use, they're still stuck in the speak first, think later mode.

In this instance Judd has exposed a potential weakness in his game so he's really only putting himself under the gun but next time it could be something that's damaging to the sport. Good managers should cut players off from the silly app just as a safety measure ;-)

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby Wildey

yea but at the same time Twitter has made Players more Accessible to the Public and in many cases build up their fan base before they even turn pros some of them and top players tweeting jo public is a thril lol

i was over the moon when Ronnie called me a muppet and asked me relatively politely to suck rubbish rofl

Re: PETER EBDON

Postby vodkadiet

Judd Trump has A.D.D. so it is hardly surprising what he said about Ebdon.

In addition, Trump is aware that Ebdon was in Carter's corner when Carter beat him at The Crucible. Sour grapes?

Some find Trump boring to watch. His style of play is very limited, and however quick he plays, it can be monotonous.

Ebdon to me is one of the only characters left in snooker, and I would rather watch him the vast majority of other players.

I don't watch snooker this time of year but occasionally catch up with what has happened. I notice Ebdon's shot time against Junhui was 38 seconds. That was par for for the course when I started watching snooker as a kid.

It is a good job no one on here ever saw Robbie Foldvari playing a qualifying match at Preston in the late 80s!

Trump is a mindless pin end! A failed international playboy infact.