Post a reply

Re: ROS timeout

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild you are bang out of order. Go and have a beer, a walk, whatever and come back when calmed down.
You really can't accept that you don't know everything do you? Or that you are wrong about things at times? Sarah is a players manager and the Mount team is quite efficient and respected. They have read and studied the contract, you have never even seen it. She knows what she's talking about, you don't.

I Have great respect for the mount team and inparticular sarah so im sorry for that remark however it dont change the fact the situation is wrong if a player choses not to sign a contract then do what the hell he likes and welcome back with open arms no consequences.

Postby Roland

Well then why are Grove being so provocative with it all? Why not just say "Ronnie is taking a break and will sign the players contract before the next event he chooses to enter?"

The reason some of us are making an issue about this is because it blatantly comes across as two fingers at Hearn and saying "So what are you going to do about it?"

If it was any other player, guaranteed the way the information has come out would have been different, more rational, more logical.

Postby kenneth79

Sonny wrote:Well then why are Grove being so provocative with it all? Why not just say "Ronnie is taking a break and will sign the players contract before the next event he chooses to enter?"

The reason some of us are making an issue about this is because it blatantly comes across as two fingers at Hearn and saying "So what are you going to do about it?"

If it was any other player, guaranteed the way the information has come out would have been different, more rational, more logical.

:hatoff: Thats obvious if youve seen the tweets/retweets from Grove since the announcements. Ronnie is my favourite player ON the table but i dont much care for him off the table (not that it lessens my enjoyment for his snooker). Monique seems to be of the variety of ROS fan only makes excuses for him.

Postby Sickpotter

Casey wrote:What Ronnie wants to do in his break is his business, he is doing the right thing by not entering the tournaments rather than entering and pulling out.

Again, what difference does it make to fans if he doesn't sign it?

As a fan I think these actions do damage to the tour because there is a negative impact on the game. That makes it an issue for all fans of the sport.

IMO as a player you commit to the season and the responsibilities of being a pro or you don't. Being a professional snooker player is not a part-time job and shouldn't be approached as such.

What happens to the season if half the top 16 decides they don't feel like signing for 6 months? :gag:

IMO no player should be allowed to avoid the responsibilities laid down in the contract or be able to pick and choose when to start honouring those responsibilities.

If a player decides they don't like the responsibilities stipulated for the first half of the season they should not be allowed to just wait and then sign the contract once said responsibilities have passed.

You are a pro or you are not.

Think of it from a sponsors point of view.

Sponsor: "How about the World #1? Will he be here for the tournament?"

Hearn: "I can't say, the player hasn't signed their contract at this time."

Sponsor: "Will he sign it in time?"

Hearn: "No idea, we have no player signature deadline"

Sponsor: "So you want to sell me advertising at an event 6 months down the road but can't tell me if the World #1 will attend or even possibly attend? I think I'll take my money elsewhere where players take their profession seriously"

Postby Alpha

I don't see why everyone's acting as though this is the end of the world. Ronnie O'Sullivan is a 36 year old man. For snooker to really establish itself, it needs to stop living in the past.
Snooker needs to move past Hendry, Davis, White, Higgins and O'Sullivan. The future of snooker is Jamie Jones, Judd Trump, Luca Brecel.
Ticket sales for Wuxi, Australia and the PL are not dependent on one man who wants to sit at home crying about signing a contract who will probably come crawling back around Shanghai time.
Neither is the future of snooker.

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:I don't see why everyone's acting as though this is the end of the world. Ronnie O'Sullivan is a 36 year old man. For snooker to really establish itself, it needs to stop living in the past.
Snooker needs to move past Hendry, Davis, White, Higgins and O'Sullivan. The future of snooker is Jamie Jones, Judd Trump, Luca Brecel.
Ticket sales for Wuxi, Australia and the PL are not dependent on one man who wants to sit at home crying about signing a contract who will probably come crawling back around Shanghai time.
Neither is the future of snooker.

point is as Sickpotter has pointed out it will have a knock on effect in future and all rules and the proffesionalism of players responsability is knocked out of the water.

Postby freakmoomin

It sounds like basic rights to me........ nobody wants to see players held to ransom! He should be able to enter what he likes imo!

Bosman springs to mind!

Postby Casey

Sickpotter wrote:
Casey wrote:What Ronnie wants to do in his break is his business, he is doing the right thing by not entering the tournaments rather than entering and pulling out.

As a fan I think these actions do damage to the tour because there is a negative impact on the game. That makes it an issue for all fans of the sport.

IMO as a player you commit to the season and the responsibilities of being a pro or you don't. Being a professional snooker player is not a part-time job and shouldn't be approached as such.

What happens to the season if half the top 16 decides they don't feel like signing for 6 months? :gag:

IMO no player should be allowed to avoid the responsibilities laid down in the contract or be able to pick and choose when to start honouring those responsibilities.

If a player decides they don't like the responsibilities stipulated for the first half of the season they should not be allowed to just wait and then sign the contract once said responsibilities have passed.

Sponsor: "So you want to sell me advertising at an event 6 months down the road but can't tell me if the World #1 will attend or even possibly attend? I think I'll take my money elsewhere where players take their profession seriously"

Sponsors won't know who is in their events until the entry deadline has passed - so Ronnie could sign the contract a couple of days before the tournament deadline and then enter the tournaments.

Sponsors know he is taking a break from snooker for at least 6 months - he has pulled out of the PL, so it's clear he won't play before December. I don't think the signing of a contract is a real big issue.

Postby Sickpotter

Yes, he should be allowed to enter whatever events he likes and he is.

He's not signing the contract though which leaves those trying to promote/organize events up in the air. Makes it very hard to get sponsorship for an event when top players won't even sign contracts.

In the end it's about professionalism.

Being a pro has responsibilities and if you don't want to adhere to them you just don't sign up to be a pro, plain and simple.

The professional thing to do is opt out of the whole season and come back when you're ready to work full time or sign the contract at the beginning of the season, perform the required duties outside of actual events and then pick and choose your events from there. If you don't want to play an event for 6 months feel free but there are other expectations of pros beyond just playing and those should be met by all on the professional circuit.

Postby Sickpotter

Casey wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:

Sponsors won't know who is in their events until the entry deadline has passed - so Ronnie could sign the contract a couple of days before the tournament deadline and then enter the tournaments.

Sponsors know he is taking a break from snooker for at least 6 months - he has pulled out of the PL, so it's clear he won't play before December. I don't think the signing of a contract is a real big issue.

Sure it's clear he won't play before December so obviously those who were hoping to have him at an event before that have no shot.

Not a big deal right? The sponsors can just line up for events after December right?

OK, fair thought but what happens if Ronnie decides at that time 6 months isn't enough and won't enter anything for maybe another month or two? Sponsors who were interested and thought he'd be available are let down.

Signing of the contract is a surety that 99% of sponsors would demand and allowing a player to refuse to sign it yet still potentially come back and play will hurt sponsorship.

Sign before the start of the season, not mid-way through it. Better for sponsorship, better for snooker professionalism.

Postby Skullman

You have to be joking. Looking at this statement from Jason Ferguson, Ronnie just wants more money

Ferguson's Statement

A quote: 'It is the WPBSA's duty to ensure that all of the players are treated equally and therefore it is our belief that all players should sign the same contract. We do not believe it would be in the interest of the membership as a whole if one player was allowed a different contract which could give that player additional appearance money.'

Postby kenneth79

Skullman wrote:You have to be joking. Looking at this statement from Jason Ferguson, Ronnie just wants more money

Ferguson's Statement

A quote: 'It is the WPBSA's duty to ensure that all of the players are treated equally and therefore it is our belief that all players should sign the same contract. We do not believe it would be in the interest of the membership as a whole if one player was allowed a different contract which could give that player additional appearance money.'

So we were right in saying it boiled down to money! Big surprise :roll: :fart: to the ones saying otherwise

Postby Alpha

It's pointless speculating about money, contracts, exhibitions etc. Ronnie O'Sullivan doesn't even know why Ronnie O'Sullivan didn't sign the contract :fart:

Postby Witz78

well if thats the crux of the whole issue then all i can say is Ronnies being a bit of a spoilt hammer

if hes that driven by money, then if he really wants to earn big bucks all he has to do is turn up to every event and give 100% and hell invariably do well in virtually every event earning shedloads of dosh over the course of a season.

Snookers nowhere near the likes of Tennis and Golf who bribe the top names into their events with appearance money. I mean, snookers total prize money for the WHOLE tour this season is 7 million which is pocket money to a top tennis or golfer.

Ronnies banging his head against a brick wall with this one, but id expect him to maintain his stance / protest now until just before the UK when hell suddenly see fit to sign that dotted line.

Postby Roland

There's nothing stopping players from playing exhibitions and being treated like kings and mopping up big money. I guess Ronnie realises he sells more tickets than others and wants a cut of it but that's putting his own interests ahead of the game which is why he is bound to alienate a lot of snooker fans. He should just bite the bullet, sign the damn contract then do what he wants, play in what he wants, skip what he wants. I'm sure World Snooker would give him the nod if he wants to go to China and play in the odd unsanctioned event if it is seen as promoting the game. But it is important for World Snooker as the governing body that they remain in control of the game of snooker in a professional capacity and not allow independent promoters to stage their own tournaments which clash with official ranking tournaments and entice players away from the official tournaments with big bucks. If that's allowed to happen there will be chaos and the game will crumble and events will become meaningless.

Postby Witz78

i dunno why Ronnie and others cant just tie in personal appearances and exhibitons in China or wherever, either before or after a tournament.

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ances.html

KEEPING UP APPEARANCES
WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson today issued the following statement in response to Ronnie O’Sullivan’s decision not to sign his players’ contract:

"Following yesterday’s news about Ronnie O’Sullivan, I’d like to clarify the WPBSA's position in relation to the official players' contract and end the misconception that players are being ‘forced’ into playing certain events.

“The contract is there to protect the players’ income derived from the tour, and the sport as a whole. Once players have signed the contract they are free to choose which events they wish to play in.

“The contract was sent to the players by World Snooker following an extensive consultation process with the WPBSA in which we engaged our lawyers. It is the WPBSA's duty to ensure that all of the players are treated equally and therefore it is our belief that all players should sign the same contract.

“We do not believe it would be in the interest of the membership as a whole if one player was allowed a different contract which could give that player additional appearance money.

“The World Snooker Tour is expanding rapidly and consistently on a global basis and it is set to grow further. We are looking for the support of the players as a whole in order to assist this growth.

“Ronnie O’Sullivan of course is free to sign the contract at any time during the season which would make him eligible to play in World Snooker events, but it is important to note that signing the players' contract does not in itself compel any player to enter any World Snooker tournaments.”

Ferguson seems to be suggesting that O’Sullivan wanted appearance money on top of prize money to play a full season. World Snooker sources have told me the same thing, although I'm sure there are other issues with the contract which trouble the world champion.

There was a meeting yesterday between Barry Hearn and O’Sullivan’s manager in which the contract was discussed but Hearn is adamant no player should be paid appearance money by the game’s governing body.

He is right. It would set a terrible precedent. The money is there to run the tour and pay prize money.

However, if individual sponsors and tournament organisers want to pay appearance money then they have every right.

So the Chinese snooker authorities are within their rights to offer O’Sullivan – or anyone else – additional money to play in their events.

This happens with the big names in golf and tennis. It’s one of the perks of being a top player.

One of the downsides is that you get people in your ear telling you that you’re worth more money or should be treated differently to everyone else.

I think O’Sullivan probably is worth appearance money for the amount of people he brings to the game – but not from World Snooker.

I also don’t think this dispute is entirely about money, but it would be naïve not to believe that it has been a factor.

I think this is a more balanced and informed view from someone who is better informed than most.

Note that in Jason Ferguson statement it is nowhere said that the appearance money under discussion was to be paid by World Snooker.

The current players contract has a lot of restrictions, regarding activities players can engage in when under contract or indeed appearance money. This is something that has been confirmed to me by the Sarah and Janie. Those restrictions would for instance prevent Stephen Hendry to do what he does now in China if he was still under contract. They also restrict the possibilities to take part in events not run or sanctioned by WSA (*) even if the player has officially decided to take some sabbatical time. And then there is the question of appearance money and that's nothing new. It's been at the core of discussions around the China Open in 2005.

(*) remember the problem with the Ding v Trump exhibition in China last season.

To make things clear:
1. I would strongly object to having a different contract to different players. They should all have the same contract.
2. If a player is taking a break from the game and feels that committing to the existing contract would limit their activities, and indeed their earning possibilities during that time, they only have one option: not sign it.
3. Appearance money paid by sponsors should be allowed. It's how sponsors make sure their events attract the big names in many sports. It should be allowed for all players although clearly the top players would benefit more. But it would not be just Ronnie. Mark Selby, John Higgins, Shaun Murphy are others who would also and why shouldn't they? They all have earned their status through excellence and hard work.

Postby Roland

But in Hendon's article he says there's nothing stopping the sponsors from paying appearance money and it's one of the perks of being a top player, particularly the World Champion. There's no way in hell World Snooker should foot the bill for appearance money though! That's too obvious to even debate. But if sponsors want to guarantee for example Ronnie then there's nothing stopping them from paying extra for the name, unless Dave H has missed something.

Postby Witz78

of course going along with what Monique says, when the money is offered by the promoters or sponsors to attract a player to take part, then its a different scenario and i dont think the WSA should take such a hard stance. Ultimately there scoring an own goal to an extent.

Ronnie got 25k to take part in Power Snooker which got Robbo and others backs up, but if anything the inequality appearance money would create in the game is no different to other sports, and if anything should motivate other players to either want to beat the guy earning appearance money or inspire them to reach such a status, that they themselves are deemed worthy of appearance money.

Postby kenneth79

Witz78 wrote:of course going along with what Monique says, when the money is offered by the promoters or sponsors to attract a player to take part, then its a different scenario and i dont think the WSA should take such a hard stance. Ultimately there scoring an own goal to an extent.

Ronnie got 25k to take part in Power Snooker which got Robbo and others backs up, but if anything the inequality appearance money would create in the game is no different to other sports, and if anything should motivate other players to either want to beat the guy earning appearance money or inspire them to reach such a status, that they themselves are deemed worthy of appearance money.

True. The going rate for the top 3 in tennis for events below Masters status I believe is at least $1m

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:But in Hendon's article he says there's nothing stopping the sponsors from paying appearance money and it's one of the perks of being a top player, particularly the World Champion. There's no way in hell World Snooker should foot the bill for appearance money though! That's too obvious to even debate. But if sponsors want to guarantee for example Ronnie then there's nothing stopping them from paying extra for the name, unless Dave H has missed something.

That's where Dave statement is unclear to me. According to Janie appearance money can't be offered and one way to go around it and has be used in the past was for instance to invite a player for an "exhibition" taking place just on the day before the tournament …

Postby Roland

Anyway Witz where did you get the £25G appearance money for Power Snooker from because I heard a different figure? Again Power Snooker needed Ronnie especially after he won the initial event, and I believe he didn't want to go to the second one so needed enticing. But the Power Snooker was World Snooker sanctioned which proves World Snooker aren't averse to sanctioning exhibition events featuring a lot of top players being paid big money.

What will be interesting is the tracking of Ronnie during his time out to see what he plays in and how much money he makes from it.

Postby Alpha

The difference is with Power Snooker, it was sanctioned by World Snooker but otherwise has nothing to do with World Snooker. The organisers wanted to pay O'Sullivan appearance money so they did. If Chinese (or any other) sponsors want to pay O'Sullivan appearance money for any event, then there shouldn't be an issue so long as the money comes from the sponsors pockets, not World Snookers.
Besides, if O'Sullivan gets appearance money and no-one else does, then it should encourage the other players (especially the young ones) to step their games up.
Still doesn't explain why O'Sullivan is being a little kitten about signing the contract. He could play in an exhibition in his back garden during Wuxi if he wanted to with World Snooker's permission.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Anyway Witz where did you get the £25G appearance money for Power Snooker from because I heard a different figure? Again Power Snooker needed Ronnie especially after he won the initial event, and I believe he didn't want to go to the second one so needed enticing. But the Power Snooker was World Snooker sanctioned which proves World Snooker aren't averse to sanctioning exhibition events featuring a lot of top players being paid big money.

What will be interesting is the tracking of Ronnie during his time out to see what he plays in and how much money he makes from it.

i remember that getting banded about at the time, pretty sure the ITV4 commentators even made a few mentions of it. what figure did you hear like haha?

now were beginning to see the real facts emerge about the contract, its clear to me that Ronnie has a point and WS are scoring an own goal not sanctioning appearance money. Whats their gain by not letting the top guys ern extra money, which aint coming out of their purse? Surely a tournament with as many big names playing as possible is better?

after all its hardly only Ronnie whos benefited from this "exhibition just before an event" that goes on im sure.

and for the players who have SIGNED contracts what happens if Trump and other big names who are missing the opening tournaments, then play exhibitions IN BETWEEN rankers, is that classed as ok?

What about Jimmy playing Legends events?

seems to be a lot of inconsistencies and unanswered questions as per usual

Postby Roland

The only unanswered point is if sponsors are or are not allowed to pay appearance money. In Dave Hendon's article he clearly believes they are in which case what is Ronnie's beef? Hendon is very well informed but I'm not sure if he knows 100% sponsors are allowed to pay appearance money.

Postby Roland

Dave Hendon wrote:However, if individual sponsors and tournament organisers want to pay appearance money then they have every right.

This does suggest he's pretty nailed on it's ok.

Postby Witz78

ill just have to phone my mole Security Man Mark to get the answers were all after i think :D

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:
Dave Hendon wrote:However, if individual sponsors and tournament organisers want to pay appearance money then they have every right.

This does suggest he's pretty nailed on it's ok.

Yes but Matt's tweets suggest the opposite and he's usually well informed also. As is Janie who told me today that they are not.

Postby Andre147

Following Jason Ferguson's statement regarding Ronnie, this is yet another big reason that I cannot understand why Ronnie doesn't just sign that bloody contract and be done with it. Ferguson already said that Ronnie is able to sign it at any time during the season, but doesn't have to play in all tournaments if he doesn't want to, so for Christ sakes why not sign it?

And, as I said before, being World Champion is another reason, because he has automatic entry in all events. If the big question is that he isn't getting appearance money from sponsors, then I think he is just being too selfish and greedy. He just has to sign that contract, and then I'm sure that at least the Chinese sponsors would pay him some extra cash for appearing in certain events. I wouldn't even mind if Ronnie only played the UK, Masters or World Champs for instance, the thing is when he signs it, he isnt compelled to play in every event, so for me I think he has no reason not to sign that damn thing.

Postby Wildey

Ranking Events NO Apearance Money end of from nobody

Take flat 128 system Ronnie gets his Dirty Money Loses before the TV Starts Filming

HOW DOES THAT WORK ??

i have no problem with apearance Money for Invitationals though.