Post a reply

Re: Stephen Hendry 1985-2012

Postby gallantrabbit

Silly boys anyone who comes on knocking Hendry.
I`d like to have seen him transform his game, but not now, maybe 5 years ago.
One strange thing is that his best results were in the second half of the season which might have encouraged him to dig in for one more season, but overall I can understand that the hours of practice wouldn`t thrill him anymore. He``s not going to spend his life straining every sinew to reach an occasioanl quarter after all.
Good luck to the fellow. He`s given me plenty of pleasure over the ears despite his beatings of JImmy.
Looking back at the stats don`t you think it`s an incredible stat that Stephen never beat Jimmy in a ranking final other than the worlds...?Damning stat for Jimmy.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Silly boys anyone who comes on knocking Hendry.
One strange thing is that his best results were in the second half of the season which might have encouraged him to dig in for one more season, but overall I can understand that the hours of practice wouldn`t thrill him anymore. He``s not going to spend his life straining every sinew to reach an occasioanl quarter after all.
Good luck to the fellow. He`s given me plenty of pleasure over the ears despite his beatings of JImmy.
Looking back at the stats don`t you think it`s an incredible stat that Stephen never beat Jimmy in a ranking final other than the worlds...?Damning stat for Jimmy.

Jimmy had a purple patch 1991 to 1992 where he really put Stephen under pressure for the WN1 Spot culminating in winning the Mita World Masters at the NEC but when the chips were down Stephen found something extra time after time.

What im pleased is Stephen did not chase Records he could have easily made 20 centuries a season for the Next 5 years and pass 800 in no time and try and maintain it that he has most centuries Making it harder for Ronnie to overtake him even then he could have stayed trying to Surpass Steve Davis record crucible apearances but hes not about that hes about Winning and up to this season i believe he still believed he could win again but ive seen a change this season and Acceptance so he Moves on to something new.

Stephen will not accept hes past it and stay with a bit part Like Davis and White has no disrespect to them.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:

Jimmy had a purple patch 1991 to 1992 where he really put Stephen under pressure for the WN1 Spot culminating in winning the Mita World Masters at the NEC but when the chips were down Stephen found something extra time after time.

What im pleased is Stephen did not chase Records he could have easily made 20 centuries a season for the Next 5 years and pass 800 in no time and try and maintain it that he has most centuries Making it harder for Ronnie to overtake him even then he could have stayed trying to Surpass Steve Davis record crucible apearances but hes not about that hes about Winning and up to this season i believe he still believed he could win again but ive seen a change this season and Acceptance so he Moves on to something new.

Stephen will not accept hes past it and stay with a bit part Like Davis and White has no disrespect to them.

not about records, more about money <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:

money has never motivated Hendry from day one it was all about being the best and he did that.

he doesent need the money but he was asked to be a Ambasador for chinese Pool so he accepted it.

Stephen Hendry could have packed it in years ago after his 7th Title and made money but he still had snooker ambition sorry if that doesent fit well with the current climate of greedy players but thats how it is to quote you FACT.

Postby Witz78

and hes being an Ambassador for Chinese snooker for nothing i presume?

one of the main reasons he claimed he wanted to retire was cos he wanted to spend time with the family, now hes swanning off round the world chasing the yen

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:

money has never motivated Hendry from day one it was all about being the best and he did that.

he doesent need the money but he was asked to be a Ambasador for chinese Pool so he accepted it.

Stephen Hendry could have packed it in years ago after his 7th Title and made money but he still had snooker ambition sorry if that doesent fit well with the current climate of greedy players but thats how it is to quote you FACT.

:fart:

bullocks and you know it, collecting the easy R1 money is now a lot harder with proper rankings, so where can he find the next easy money.................China <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:

bullocks and you know it, collecting the easy R1 money is now a lot harder with proper rankings, so where can he find the next easy money.................China <ok>

he wont find any problems what so ever in beating players to reach Round 1 until the cows come home.

Stephen Hendry retires as World no 21 (Highest Ranking of anyone that has retired)

He is so much better than most on tour even now but thats not good enough for him losing to marmite like Maguire isnt a option any more.

Postby jojo

alex you should change the title to something like stephen hendry snooker career it look like he dead when you read the title and it quite disturbing

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:alex you should change the title to something like stephen hendry snooker career it look like he dead when you read the title and it quite disturbing

and hes the oldest looking 27 year old ever to be fair <doh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:Jimmy had a purple patch 1991 to 1992 where he really put Stephen under pressure for the WN1 Spot culminating in winning the Mita World Masters at the NEC but when the chips were down Stephen found something extra time after time.

he wont find any problems what so ever in beating players to reach Round 1 until the cows come home.

Stephen Hendry retires as World no 21 (Highest Ranking of anyone that has retired)

He is so much better than most on tour even now but thats not good enough for him losing to marmite like Maguire isnt a option any more.

if hes still better than most on tour even now then whys marmite like Maguire beating him 13-2 and ranked way above him :wave:

Postby gallantrabbit

Not sure I get the idea of knocking one player to praise another. Maguire is far from marmite and could still make thefinal. He did the minimum to ensure that Carter doesn`t have the easiest night`s sleep.
If Hendry could have picked and chosen his tournaments he`d have carried on. But jusst when snooker needs to be playing week in week out he wanted to slow down and the ranking system wouldn`t let him be a part timer. He`s got enough going on to not get bored but boy will he miss the buzzz.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:

if hes still better than most on tour even now then whys marmite like Maguire beating him 13-2 and ranked way above him :wave:

Most on tour does not constitute Top 20 rank players but Mags still nowhere near as good as Hendry was despite being Ranked in the top 4 after this week.