Post a reply

Re: PLAYERS WORK SCHEDULE - 2011

Postby Eirebilly

When you break it down and compare things realisticaly.

The average person has 5 weeks holidays plus rosterd days off per month (not forgetting sick days) and weekends free every year leaving them working only around 44 5 day weeks a year. That comes to a total of 220 working days a year. Average taken in a consensus in Holland so may vary to England.

Now take Selby's 79 days, as provided by Witz, and double that due to travel and acclimitisation and you come up with 158 days. That then only leaves them 62 days in a year over for other tournements and practice if they are expected to have similar years to the rest of the general populace.

I guarentee you that all top professionals put in far more hours practicing to keep them at the top in their sport than the average person works. That is their job and their commitment to the sport.

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:Disagree. What Witz is trying to do is dumb this down so that the players look extremely spoilt. I would hazard a rough guess that the top players put in more than the average working mans 40 hour working week into practice and developing their skill. The practice that they do is every bit as important as the traveling and participating in events. I find it absolutely silly to think that a snooker player only 'works' around 70 days per year. That is what is being implied in the article. I say again, i dont believe that there are too many tournements in a year now but it should not be dumbed down to such low levels as if a player only works 70 odd days a year. Thats just ridiculous.

Bourne, not sure how much travelling you have done in your life professionally but personally i am away from home for over 6 months every year traveling all around the world. If you think that traveling for work is only sitting and maybe sleeping then i fear for you if you ever have to travel to other countries for work as its not as easy as you would think. Some people hink that its all great traveling for work and staying in hotels, and it is for the first 6 months, after that you miss sleeping in your own bed, having a normal life where you can visit your friends and having a normal 40 hour week work.

nobody making out thats easy least of all me ive flown once in my life and id hate that lifestyle however its part of being a sport star not exclusively to snooker players if you dont like it dont do it either play in home events or retire from the sport but the sport cant pander to that if it wants to grow,get better and make more money.

Postby Eirebilly

Wild wrote:nobody making out thats easy least of all me ive flown once in my life and id hate that lifestyle however its part of being a sport star not exclusively to snooker players if you dont like it dont do it either play in home events or retire from the sport but the sport cant pander to that if it wants to grow,get better and make more money.

You have missed the point wild. I am not saying that players are complaining about it, i am instead replying to Bourne assuming that its all easy and just a simple doze off.

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:
Wild wrote:nobody making out thats easy least of all me ive flown once in my life and id hate that lifestyle however its part of being a sport star not exclusively to snooker players if you dont like it dont do it either play in home events or retire from the sport but the sport cant pander to that if it wants to grow,get better and make more money.

You have missed the point wild. I am not saying that players are complaining about it, i am instead replying to Bourne assuming that its all easy and just a simple doze off.

well yes i think we can agree about bourne talking bullocks sometime ;-) ;-) rofl

ive been looking at flights resently from denmark and on some flights theres 3 stops just from there its crazy.

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:

You can sleep on planes, or just relax. It's not like you're being asked to run on a treadmill ...

Postby Eirebilly

Bourne wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:

You can sleep on planes, or just relax. It's not like you're being asked to run on a treadmill ...

Just a question Bourne. Do you actually travel much?

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:

Just a question Bourne. Do you actually travel much?

A lot on trains n' buses, never planes though.

Postby Eirebilly

Ok, now i understand why you dont know too much about how tiring plane travel actually is.

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:Ok, now i understand why you dont know too much about how tiring plane travel actually is.

That's a tiny part of the argument anyway, a very small part of this is about the actual travel.

Postby Eirebilly

Small it may be but it was a point that you made.

Shall we now discuss the other 200+ days in the year you talk about?

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:Small it may be but it was a point that you made.

Yeh and I stand by all of it. Again you're treating the players like they're the only ones who have to 'suffer' the travel, interesting no-one mentions the fact these muppets still travel all around the world for stupid exhos, where's the sense in that ?

Postby Eirebilly

Bourne wrote:

Yeh and I stand by all of it. Again you're treating the players like they're the only ones who have to 'suffer' the travel, interesting no-one mentions the fact these muppets still travel all around the world for stupid exhos, where's the sense in that ?

I thought that we did the travel thing Bourne? As i said earlier i am away from home for over 6months a year.

How about the 200+ extra days that you claim these players have?

As for exhibitions, hmmm, maybe to advertise the game?

You surely are on a windup right now sow its best to leave you

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:
Bourne wrote:

I thought that we did the travel thing Bourne? As i said earlier i am away from home for over 6months a year.

How about the 200+ extra days that you claim these players have?

As for exhibitions, hmmm, maybe to advertise the game?

You surely are on a windup right now sow its best to leave you

What a pathetic cop-out <doh> Yeh carry on treating the players like 10 year olds, we'll be wrapping them up in cotton-wool next, or will they be on disability benefits ? <doh> Maybe just make the tour for Sheffield EIS only and move all the players to the same street, that way i'm sure no-one will complain (actually I tell a lie, they'll probably find a way)

Postby Eirebilly

Pathetic cop out?

I have clearly stated that i dont think that there is are too many tournements so how is that a pathetic cop out?

You have been proven wrong in regards to your travel theory and refuse to discuss the point you made that players have 200+ extra days per year.

And i am copping out? :chin:

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:

First they don't do it all the time, far from it.

Next it's a very important part of promoting the game in countries where it's relatively "unknown" to the general public and not part of the local culture as it is in UK, as Janie highlighted if you care to read her posts. It doesn't cost much as compared to organising a tournament, it's a more relaxed atmosphere and players are a lot more available for the fans.

Ronnie and Jack (Lisowski) were yesterday in Bulgaria, playing in a cinema in front of 600 fans, many having traveled to Sofia from other cities. The Bulgarian made it something festive. Both players gave a press conference ahead of the event answering the questions from the fans. Ronnie was interviewed live on television during nearly 20 minutes just before the match, all in very good spirit. The match itself and the frames played with local amateurs was filmed and will be on Bulgarian telly on Sunday night.

And before anyone asks why they scheduled it now with PTC12 to start tomorrow, the answer is: this was contracted already months ago when PTC12 was supposed to be played in Munich in January.

So no they aren't "muppets". Being a pro sportsperson is not just about playing in competitions.

Postby Wildey

cant wait for witz to come in on this or he fired the bullets and let others take the shot <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:Pathetic cop out?

I have clearly stated that i dont think that there is are too many tournements so how is that a pathetic cop out?

You have been proven wrong in regards to your travel theory and refuse to discuss the point you made that players have 200+ extra days per year.

Proven wrong rofl Give your head a shake son, you ain't proven nothing. And i've got no idea what you're on about with this 200+ days per year thing, i'll discuss it however you want. Tell me what you're expecting them to do other than travel, practice and relax (which is what they do anyway) for those non-tournament days ... :john:

And when you're struggling for an argument, calling the other person a wind-up and 'leaving them to it' is pretty much the biggest cop out you coulda done on a forum. :dizzy:

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Next it's a very important part of promoting the game in countries where it's relatively "unknown" to the general public and not part of the local culture as it is in UK, as Janie highlighted if you care to read her posts. It doesn't cost much as compared to organising a tournament, it's a more relaxed atmosphere and players are a lot more available for the fans.

Ronnie and Jack (Lisowski) were yesterday in Bulgaria, playing in a cinema in front of 600 fans, many having traveled to Sofia from other cities. The Bulgarian made it something festive. Both players gave a press conference ahead of the event answering the questions from the fans. Ronnie was interviewed live on television during nearly 20 minutes just before the match, all in very good spirit. The match itself and the frames played with local amateurs was filmed and will be on Bulgarian telly on Sunday night.

And before anyone asks why they scheduled it now with PTC12 to start tomorrow, the answer is: this was contracted already months ago when PTC12 was supposed to be played in Munich in January.

So no they aren't "muppets". Being a pro sportsperson is not just about playing in competitions.

Yeh they're muppets, considering Ronnie is the king moaner he's as bad as anyone else but no doubt you're gona tell me to be a bit more sympathetic cos he's hurting inside or some tosh :fart:

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:
Monique wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Yeh they're muppets, considering Ronnie is the king moaner he's as bad as anyone else but no doubt you're gona tell me to be a bit more sympathetic cos he's hurting inside or some tosh :fart:

I will say nowt. There is no need for it. ... ;)

Postby Eirebilly

Bourne wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:I am not defending anyone here at all. I just find it rather sad that someone can reduce all the practice, travelling and competing done by a player like Selby into only 79 days work out of 365.

What's travelling, sitting down for a few hours and maybe going to sleep ? Practice, well that goes without saying, what else are we expecting them to do for the other 200+ days of the year ? These are supposed to be fit sportsmen, and it's hardly like snooker is the most physically demanding sport !

Here would be the quote that you made about the 200+ days Bourne. Are they not entiteled to any days off?

You were proven wrong about the travel as you have absolutely no idea of what it entails, you admitted this as well.

I have never said that the players were spoilt 10 year olds who should be wrapped in wool. I have always maintained that i am more than happy with the new amount of tournements. I simply took umbridge with Witz claiming that a player like Selby only works 70+ days a year and that is far from true.

Postby Eirebilly

Bourne wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:Pathetic cop out?

Proven wrong rofl Give your head a shake son, you ain't proven nothing. And i've got no idea what you're on about with this 200+ days per year thing, i'll discuss it however you want. Tell me what you're expecting them to do other than travel, practice and relax (which is what they do anyway) for those non-tournament days ... :john:

And when you're struggling for an argument, calling the other person a wind-up and 'leaving them to it' is pretty much the biggest cop out you coulda done on a forum. :dizzy:

As for this statement, you obviously havent read what i have written, i have described it and even given examples to the average working person so i am not struggeling for an arguement.

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:I am not defending anyone here at all. I just find it rather sad that someone can reduce all the practice, travelling and competing done by a player like Selby into only 79 days work out of 365.

What's travelling, sitting down for a few hours and maybe going to sleep ? Practice, well that goes without saying, what else are we expecting them to do for the other 200+ days of the year ? These are supposed to be fit sportsmen, and it's hardly like snooker is the most physically demanding sport !

Here would be the quote that you made about the 200+ days Bourne. Are they not entiteled to any days off?

You were proven wrong about the travel as you have absolutely no idea of what it entails, you admitted this as well.

I have never said that the players were spoilt 10 year olds who should be wrapped in wool. I have always maintained that i am more than happy with the new amount of tournements. I simply took umbridge with Witz claiming that a player like Selby only works 70+ days a year and that is far from true.

So in other words you took that 200+ days a year comment completely literally, like as in I don't expect them to eat, drink or breathe in that time other than practice <doh> They already have plenty of days off as it is.

Still waiting to be proven wrong on the travel :zzz:

Postby Wildey

ronnieo147 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Bulgaria was the nuts.. Love that place... Be going back very soon..:))

Ronnie got over his flying phobia ;-)

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
ronnieo147 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Bulgaria was the nuts.. Love that place... Be going back very soon..:))

Ronnie got over his flying phobia ;-)

Haha

Postby Eirebilly

You know what Bourne. Your right, i am completely wrong. I have not formed any arguement nor have i proven you wrong about you comments that traveling is easy as all you do is sleep.

You are the reason i left the forum originally, the reason i will leave it again and the one of the reasons why many people are not happy with this forum.

Good luck

Postby Bourne

Eirebilly wrote:You know what Bourne. Your right, i am completely wrong. I have not formed any arguement nor have i proven you wrong about you comments that traveling is easy as all you do is sleep.

You are the reason i left the forum originally, the reason i will leave it again and the one of the reasons why many people are not happy with this forum.

Good luck

Yeh another cop out :fart: You're actually genuinelly trying to argue that it's so difficult to manage sitting on a chair in a plane that we should feel sympathy or whatever for them, that it's actually somewhat of a trial for these poor pampered human beings.

I know the real reason why you left the forum the first time <ok>

Postby Witz78

Eirebilly wrote:Ok, now i understand why you dont know too much about how tiring plane travel actually is.

bullocks

the last 3 years ive went to America and every time ive done a full days work on the Friday then flew out on the Fri night / Saturday morning, landed there around lunchtime USA time then partied it up straight through to about 6am on the Sunday so about 56 hours without any sleep

travel is only tiring if you want it to be

How come Bingo was running around playing tennis in Brazil if he was that tired form travelling ?

Postby Witz78

as expected this threads turned into a loada old nandy pandys coming on to look after the poor players human rights.

At the end of the day

WE DONT SEE PLAYERS PRACTISING, THEY DONT GET PAID TO PRACTICE

YET THATS CLASSED AS WORK BY SOME HERE

SO IN THAT CASE SURELY FAR MORE TOURNAMENTS AND A TOTALLY FULL CALENDAR IS BETTER AS THAT WAY THEY ARE WORKING BUT ALSO BEING PAID FOR IT

IF THERE WAS ONLY ONE TOURNAMENT ALL SEASON YOUS WOULD PROB STILL CLAIM THE PLAYERS HAD TO PRACTICE THE OTHER 51 WEEKS OF THE YEAR.

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:as expected this threads turned into a loada old nandy pandys coming on to look after the poor players human rights.

At the end of the day

WE DONT SEE PLAYERS PRACTISING, THEY DONT GET PAID TO PRACTICE

YET THATS CLASSED AS WORK BY SOME HERE

SO IN THAT CASE SURELY FAR MORE TOURNAMENTS AND A TOTALLY FULL CALENDAR IS BETTER AS THAT WAY THEY ARE WORKING BUT ALSO BEING PAID FOR IT

IF THERE WAS ONLY ONE TOURNAMENT ALL SEASON YOUS WOULD PROB STILL CLAIM THE PLAYERS HAD TO PRACTICE THE OTHER 51 WEEKS OF THE YEAR.

That's exactly what Judd said last week, one of the things about his form being so good was the fact he wasn't having to practice, that the PTCs and little exhos here and there were basically doing the work for him.

Postby Witz78

Regardless of travel etc, i dont believe in doubling the 79 days total time Selby spent involved in tournaments, one bit either on that count of travelling to and from events.

If i can be fussed ill do it but based on top tennis and top golfers like Nadal, Djokovic, McIllroy etc and i think then youll see what a proper top sportsman puts in in terms of days per year actually involved in competitive action. And these guys air miles clocked up for the year will put Alan Whicker to shame. The snooker players are in dreamworld if they think theyve got it hard.