Post a reply

Re: Ali Carter Quits Snooker?

Postby Wildey

but you must admit its a bit ironic and stupid that someone thats trained as a comercial pilot dont like traveling rofl rofl

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:but you must admit its a bit ironic and stupid that someone thats trained as a comercial pilot dont like traveling rofl rofl

Why do you all think that "traveling" is the main problem for snooker players who consider retirement?

From his tweets, it's more about the fact that he doesn't enjoy it anymore and wants to do other things in his life. He's been more than 20 years in the job (Ali started playing around 7-8 yo). I can understand that perfectly. I worked 30 years in IT and enjoyed most of it. The last two years however were torture. Every day I had to drag myself to the office after fighting back the temptation to pull a sickie. I came to a place in life where I couldn't see myself doing it for another 10 years. So I called i a day, took early retirement (with diminished wages), took on photography and never looked back.

Good luck Cap'tain. Do what suits your needs. You owe nobody nothing.

Postby Wildey

because he has said on countless ocations he wants to spend more time with his family.

yes fair point he might hate the job now but my guess that has coincided with HAVING to travel more and had he had the Walker years he wouldnt even consider it because he hardly played.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:because he has said on countless ocations he wants to spend more time with his family.

yes fair point he might hate the job now but my guess that has coincided with HAVING to travel more and had he had the Walker years he wouldnt even consider it because he hardly played.

Well that's only a guess and you don't know actually do you?

My guess is that it has to do more with his crohn's disease being worse again recently, combined with being a young father.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:because he has said on countless ocations he wants to spend more time with his family.

Well that's only a guess and you don't know actually do you?

My guess is that it has to do more with his crohn's disease being worse again recently, combined with being a young father.

yeah now that is a fair point he has got health isues aswell.....

all im saying is do 1 of two things stick to your gunns and go and live the rest of his life or carry on but honest to god if he decides to carry on no more moaning about it. the decition is his and ill respect him if he goes more than stay to moan.

Postby Eirebilly

Jaysus Wild, how many times has Ali threatend to quit? I cant remember a single one.

As i said earlier, everyone goes through a period in their life when they hate doing what they do and consider a change. Mon did and seems much happier for it. I do not consider this whinging at all, more that he is at a cross roads. he certainly isnt (as Witz put it) an ingratful workshy deadwood to the game.

Postby Monique

Wild do you never say "I've had enough" about this or that, only to feel differently a few hours or days after when the crisis is over?
Snooker is very demanding emotionally. Some people feel the need to voice their emotions in order to manage them, others don't. There is nothing wrong which any of these attitudes and it does no harm to anyone. Certainly not to the sport as the more it's spoken about the best (*)
I don't understand why people can't accept that the players are human beings with emotions and different ways to deal with them and just let them be.

(*) the only type of publicity that really harms a sport is when its main contenders are involved in cheating and fraud. Absolutely everything else is just fine.
Last edited by Monique on 08 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Smart

nice_shoes_ken wrote:If this is Ali's correct twitter page which I think it is, about an hour ago he has said he is set to step away from the game and head for pastures new.

He said he will retire at the end of the season.

TheCaptain147Ali Carter
going to retire at the end of the season! And I can't wait!

TheCaptain147Ali Carter
I'm dead serious, life is to short to do something you don't enjoy, 25 years is enough! Pastures new....

If he does go through with it, I would like to wish him all the best and some of us on Snooker Island will say the same. One person will be gutted and that will be my mum when I tell her tomorrow, big fan :-(

This might sound odd, and I am not trying to be clever after the event, but watching last night he was getting down on the shot very quick when balls were being replaced after foul and a miss was called. Like he had had enough.

If he retires I will miss his game, cos he cues really nice imo. Shame. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:Jaysus Wild, how many times has Ali threatend to quit? I cant remember a single one.

well lets not start then just go or stay but if he stays get on with being a pro player and everything that intails.

Postby Smart

N_Castle07 wrote:Good news. I'm sorry but I find him to be a huffy rubbish.

rofl

From memory he owns a snooker club. Coupled to the fact that he has been pretty successful in his career. He is not exactly skint and he has a career to step into with flying aircraft. He can probably do part time flying and earn plenty, whilst having much more time at home with his wife and kid.

Good luck Ali, hope you win the worlds this year. :gag:

Postby Wildey

markwil147 mark williams
@
@Stuart__Bingham i am shxte but if u beat me next week thas it im doing a carter and osullivan, and retiring for a WEEK

rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
markwil147 mark williams
@
@Stuart__Bingham i am shxte but if u beat me next week thas it im doing a carter and osullivan, and retiring for a WEEK

rofl rofl

That's brilliant. rofl

Postby GJ

Cant come soon enough

His attitude stinks

If he would concentrate more on his own game insteadof crying about players getting lucky he may just do better

Grow up shortie

Postby Tubberlad

I don't think there's a player I feel more indifferent about, I don't think he's a boring player but I don't find him exciting either, and I often switch off when he's playing even though I don't dislike him at all.

The guy has talent and is a nice cueist, but I don't see him becoming a major winner and he's always a whipping boy for Higgins and O'Sullivan. That said I think we'd be better off with him on tour than if we didn't have him, and if it's health related, I can understand his decision. To be fair, I never had him down as a moaner.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I don't think there's a player I feel more indifferent about, I don't think he's a boring player but I don't find him exciting either, and I often switch off when he's playing even though I don't dislike him at all.

The guy has talent and is a nice cueist, but I don't see him becoming a major winner and he's always a whipping boy for Higgins and O'Sullivan. That said I think we'd be better off with him on tour than if we didn't have him, and if it's health related, I can understand his decision. To be fair, I never had him down as a moaner.

ok moaner is a strong word but at the same time he has never come across as someone that wanted snooker to be full time job he was happy trodging along in a few events a year.

now snooker getting full time his attitute looks pretty poor and has for the last year.

if its health fair play its not a nice thing to have but make a decition whatever it is and get on with it.

Postby Dannyboy

Has Ali actually got a PPL (Private Pilots Licence) or any sort of pilots licence?

Because, considering his medical history, I find it hard to comprehend that he's been allowed to get a medical certificate to become a professional pilot. I'm someone who's been denied Class 1/2 medical certficiation which you need for an Air Transport Pilots Licence or a Commercial Pilots Licence. You can have a National PPL, which requires the standards for a drivers licence.

Crohn's Disease is something that can flare up at any time, so if you're 35,000ft up in the air, its not exactly the best place to be, especially on a long haul flight.

Postby Smart

Dannyboy wrote:Has Ali actually got a PPL (Private Pilots Licence) or any sort of pilots licence?

Because, considering his medical history, I find it hard to comprehend that he's been allowed to get a medical certificate to become a professional pilot. I'm someone who's been denied Class 1/2 medical certficiation which you need for an Air Transport Pilots Licence or a Commercial Pilots Licence. You can have a National PPL, which requires the standards for a drivers licence.

Crohn's Disease is something that can flare up at any time, so if you're 35,000ft up in the air, its not exactly the best place to be, especially on a long haul flight.

He is only gonna be flying combat aircraft mate. <ok>

Postby Dannyboy

Smart wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:Has Ali actually got a PPL (Private Pilots Licence) or any sort of pilots licence?

In fact, he wouldn't be able to do that!

Postby Smart

Dannyboy wrote:
Smart wrote:

In fact, he wouldn't be able to do that!

Are you saying I am mis-informed :|

Postby randam05

Wow..

I know its not the same.. but I had to do this with A level art. I was pretty exceptional, but really didnt enjoy it after four hard years studying it and had to go to my art teachers to tell them. No one could believe i done it, and the teachers were awfully dissapointed, but it was really getting me down.

Postby The Cueist

That was being true to your self,Atleast you had the guts to do it mate.

I think Ali will be back,Just dont like losing like Ronnie.God bless him.

Postby randam05

Yeah exactly. Its helped me in the long term for sure.

Anyway, I think the feeling of winning is too strong and will keep him playing snooker at the top.