Post a reply

Re: Ronnie; I should've worn more

Postby Tubberlad

That's true to some extent Bourne. I think O'Sullivan's career is already seen to be a littany of what-if's as it is... but at the end of the day, the reason I rate O'Sullivan as my favourite player has nowt to do with titles, they are just a bonus. It was just nice to see a very succesful snooker player who caused a stir and played the game in a jawdropping way...

Postby Roland

What I was getting at is, because of the way he plays the game and plays the right shots with perfect execution and makes them all look so easy and because he's done it over such a sustained period of time and been filmed so many times doing it, his legacy will live on much more than the number of titles he ever won.

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:As much for his infamy than his talent <ok>

rubbish

Take Alex for example, he was an inferior player to Ronnie and had far more infamy off the table, but even hell primarily be remembered as an exciting snooker talent,

Not sure about that, Higgins will be remembered for drinking, headbutting and being banned moreso than playing quick snooker. People tend to focus on the bad, than the good from my experience. :gag:

just had a seance with a pint of Guiness, a scrumpled up Ladbrokes slip and a 20 pack of Regal King Size and together we channelled the spirit of Alex who told us to tell you to stick your tripe opinion up yer jacksie :D

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What I was getting at is, because of the way he plays the game and plays the right shots with perfect execution and makes them all look so easy and because he's done it over such a sustained period of time and been filmed so many times doing it, his legacy will live on much more than the number of titles he ever won.

the main difference between Alex and Ronnie is that Alex Higgins was hardcore hell raiser Ronnie is kids stuff so where as Alex is remembered more for the bad i think sonny is right Ronnies on table activities far outweigh any mishaps and he will be remembered more for his snooker than Alex is.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:What I was getting at is, because of the way he plays the game and plays the right shots with perfect execution and makes them all look so easy and because he's done it over such a sustained period of time and been filmed so many times doing it, his legacy will live on much more than the number of titles he ever won.

the main difference between Alex and Ronnie is that Alex Higgins was hardcore hell raiser Ronnie is kids stuff so where as Alex is remembered more for the bad i think sonny is right Ronnies on table activities far outweigh any mishaps and he will be remembered more for his snooker than Alex is.

Much as I loved the Higgins style, ROS pisses all over Higgins in terms of style round the table. He has achieved much more, and I think the way he has excuted a plan of entertaining snooker, like sonny says, will be a legacy that will not be surpassed. That might sound fanboyish, but having watched snooker all my life...................no-one (not Jimmy or Alex) has given as much pleasure than ROS. Played in the manner that we would all like to play. <ok>

Postby Wildey

ohhhh Alex pisses all over Ronnie for excitement and charistma but Ronnie is a far better player.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:ohhhh Alex pisses all over Ronnie for excitement and charisma but Ronnie is a far better player.

Whatever that is :fart:

whatever it is Alex Higgins was a real entertainer

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:ohhhh Alex pisses all over Ronnie for excitement and charisma but Ronnie is a far better player.

I'd say ROS was the ultimate show-man, always wanting to give the perfect performance, always after a 147 or to give the crowd a thrill. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I'd say ROS was the ultimate show-man, always wanting to give the perfect performance, always after a 147 or to give the crowd a thrill. <ok>

na he gives up to easy when the going gets tough..

Postby Bourne

That's part of the appeal though, the thought that when you go to his matches, almost anything could happen, like literally walking out ...

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:That's part of the appeal though, the thought that when you go to his matches, almost anything could happen, like literally walking out ...

Alex could punch you that trumps wimping out..

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:That's part of the appeal though, the thought that when you go to his matches, almost anything could happen, like literally walking out ...

Judd ain't wimping outa nothing :no:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Judd ain't wimping outa nothing :no:

:evilgrin: