Post a reply

Ding Junhui vs Ronnie O'Sullivan

Postby SnookerFan

As we all know, these two are clashing at The Masters in January, in a match with quite a bit of historical significance.

After the match at The Masters a few years ago, where Ding suffered booes and racial abuse, he went off form and was low in confidence for a few years. But in winning back the UK Championship, he answered a few questions. Yes he could still win ranking events. Winning at Wembley early in the year laid to rest another demon, and what a time to do it at the last ever Masters at Wembley.

One question could also be left. How does he feel playing Ronnie? Last night he beat him in the PL, but this means little. It might have meant more last year, because that form of the Premier League was meat and drink to O'Sullivan. He'd be beating him at his own game. But, I don't think this is true with the new format.

How do people rank Ding's state of mind? Will beating Ronnie exorcise one last demon, or are the demons already gone? Are we looking forward to this as a good game, or as the last task needed to complete in Ding's redemption?

Re: Ding Junhui vs Ronnie O'Sullivan

Postby Wildey

doubts about dings state of mind under pressure is eradicated and although its the Masters what happened in 2007 wont bother him its a new venue.

its what happens on the table not in the mind when they meet in january.

Postby PLtheRef

After how Ding has played over the last couple of years you would assume that the demons have long since been buried. I would say however, that victory over O'Sullivan would bury the hatchet once and for all.I make Ding favourite!

out of interest, when was Ronnie last unseeded for the Masters?

Postby Tubberlad

The greatest myth in snooker: Ding is mentally weak. That little myth is based on a game that happened almost five years ago, when he was about the same age as myself, and ignores the fact that he has won two majors since and made it to the semi-finals at the Crucible. Along with Trump he is by far the best prospect for the future.

Postby mediter

I agree with Tubberlad and wild. When Ding bursted into the scene he was well recognised by his bottle. I remember i.e Hendry was very impressed Ding´s bottle when Ding beat him in UK-semi if I remember right. And Hendry himself was the ultimate bottle-player in the 90´s !

What happened on that 2007 match, was that O´Sullivan produced one of his (many) rampant displays, and partizan Wembley crowd was so behind O´Sullivan and some people in the crowd heckled and shouted something to Ding which did upset him. It was just a new experience for Ding, and it did take some time to recover and get used to that sort of culture... Can´t see that be a problem anymore. Probably only Ali Carter has Ronnie-issues anymore when playing against him... <laugh> <laugh>

Postby PLtheRef

Tubberlad wrote:The greatest myth in snooker: Ding is mentally weak. That little myth is based on a game that happened almost five years ago, when he was about the same age as myself, and ignores the fact that he has won two majors since and made it to the semi-finals at the Crucible. Along with Trump he is by far the best prospect for the future.

And sustained by subsequent results where he underachieved at the big moments over the next almost three years. A 10-2 mauling at the Crucible followed by disappointing showings including a thumping from John Higgins in the UK really showed that when Ding had things his way he was danger to anyone, but when he went two or three behind, interested waned.

I remember someone mentioning, (it might have been you actually) when he beat Higgins to win the UK that it was the clearest sign of Ding's recovery, and the last two years have backed that view.

Postby Roland

Anyone who questions the bottle of Ding needs look no further than the World semi-final last session against Judd Trump.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Anyone who questions the bottle of Ding needs look no further than the World semi-final last session against Judd Trump.

yes hes well over it.

i still question his ultimate Desire at the Moment but his Bottle not in Question.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ding is certainly now mentally stronger than ever. But the head to head record is always a valuable information before a match and it's a fact that the last time Ding beat Ronnie in an important match was the 2006 Northern Ireland Trophy final. I know they haven't played each other that often in the recent past but it's still a psychological advantage. Also Ronnie loves playing Ding and always gives 100% against him.

Summing up I would give Ronnie a 60-40 chance to beat Ding at the Masters.