Post a reply

Re: Dave Hendon blog on Stephen Hendry

Postby Roland

I gave it a retweet and now with this topic it appears as next tweet in the SI feed :redneck:

Surprised it wasn't Wild who started it to be honest.

But yes, good article.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I gave it a retweet and now with this topic it appears as next tweet in the SI feed :redneck:

Surprised it wasn't Wild who started it to be honest.

But yes, good article.

:bird:

odds on the SSB to be full of rubbish later tonight :redneck:

Postby Roland

No need to flip the bird at me. I saw this as an auto-tweet on the SI feed and my first thought is it was you who started it! Can you blame me? :redneck:

Postby Sickpotter

Good read, nice to see that there are still some people who remember how deadly Hendry was in his prime <ok>

I agree with Ronnie, Hendry might produce some better/more consistent form if he'd just relax. Problem is Hendry has worked his whole career thinking win, win, win so it's almost impossible to take that mindset away. :roll:

Postby PLtheRef

A good article, however upon his final point I do think that there is someone who Stephen will feel he has to prove himself. And that is ineed

The Griffiths analogy is different because obviously were now in a situation when someone who drops out of the top 16 in October can be back in the group by February. When Terry dropped to 24th in the rankings, his stay out of the guaranteed season without a chance of return for twelve months. His retirement would still only entitle him to a place on tour for the 1996/97 season, only he decided not to play in the other events - I've got a copy of the 1997 WC programme in which the rankings list Terry at provisionally 130th in the list for the 1997/98 season. Had Stephen's ''relegation'' been under the same circumstances then there is no doubt that Stephen would have retired and that its only the opportunities of getting back into the 16 so quickly that kept him on.

However, now Stephen came so very close to retiring last season, regardless of the fact that he reached the last 16 at Sheffield and finished 16th in the rankings, In my personal opinion it was a surprise that he carried on knowing that he'd drop out of the 16 eventually. But now Stephen will feel that he has to prove that he made the right decision in carrying on - and that simply means that defeat is not an option next Wednesday. Should Stephen start missing out on venues then the door of retirement will open wider and wider.