Re: Snooker Rating System

Postby Roland

No it's gotta be Selby and Ronnie

Postby GJ

Robbo

Postby Wildey

SnookerAnalyst wrote:Good guesses. According to my records it's Ronnie (67%: 122-59). Selby is 2nd (66%: 131-67) with Neil Robertson 3rd (66%: 150-78).

but its not in tier 1 contests hes only won 1 match where Williams has reached 2 main Ranking finals and hes on minus for the season.

i think this system has potential to be the best Ranking system but not where form in PTC Carries that much weight Ronnie for want of a better word has been rubbish in events that matters for 2 years.

and xiao non existant.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:PTCs matter :santa:

not to that extream the way they do it now is more acurate but this could be brilliant idea done right.

at the moment with no disrespect SnookerAnalist its not.

Postby Tubberlad

To be fair to Analyst, he is not advocating that this become the normal system, so it needs to be tweaked here and there. If PTC's were to say be weighted at 80% of ordinary ranking event matches, UK and Masters to be weighted at 110% and World Championship to be weighted at 120%, then this could be a very interesting system...

Postby SnookerFan

I'm the opposite really. I took the week off to watch the World Open, but really didn't like it that much. :-( But I'm always like that. My opinion tends to be disagreed with by the majority. :emb:

Back to the UK Championship. I'm looking forward to it. I wish it was longer matches, that's where the UK's prestige came from, in the same way The Masters came from it being an elite field. The Masters wouldn't be the same if they let qualifiers in and made it a ranking event. But, I'm still looking forward to this as longer then the usual best of seven event we get nowadays.

I did e-mail World Snooker though, saying I wouldn't be buying tickets for this event, even though I usually do. So I've stuck to that.

Postby SnookerAnalyst

I'm starting to add charts and a narrative for individual player's ratings. Hopefully this will add a bit of context. The charts are quite quick to do, but the narrative will take a bit longer! First post covers Higgins, O'Sullivan, Selby & Williams: http://www.snookeranalyst.com/chart1/

As Tubberlad has pointed out I'm not recommending that this becomes an official way of ranking players, but I hope that this alternative way of viewing things will help to highlight some of the limitations of the current ranking system. Either way, I hope you find it interesting!

Postby Roland

Good stuff. Quite a bit of variance from the official rankings in most cases.

Postby Wildey

SnookerAnalyst wrote:I'm starting to add charts and a narrative for individual player's ratings. Hopefully this will add a bit of context. The charts are quite quick to do, but the narrative will take a bit longer! First post covers Higgins, O'Sullivan, Selby & Williams: http://www.snookeranalyst.com/chart1/

As Tubberlad has pointed out I'm not recommending that this becomes an official way of ranking players, but I hope that this alternative way of viewing things will help to highlight some of the limitations of the current ranking system. Either way, I hope you find it interesting!

as i said id like it to become the official way of doing it im just not to sure about the ballance of the PTC in relation to other main rankers thats my only gripe.

Postby Roland

I was chatting with PSB Matt this afternoon and he is of the opinion that the points are about right but the Worlds need to be elevated rather than PTCs reduced. I'd go along with that. Official ranking system by the way, not this one.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I was chatting with PSB Matt this afternoon and he is of the opinion that the points are about right but the Worlds need to be elevated rather than PTCs reduced. I'd go along with that. Official ranking system by the way, not this one.

yes i go along with that i think the UK under this years BO11 is right also but the Worlds needs to be elevated.

Postby Andy Spark

Wild wrote:
sorry but Ronnie is no way no 2 best player over the last 2 years in a million years.

winner=0
Runner up=1
Semi finals=2
Quarter finals=2
Last 16=1
Last 32=4
Did not enter=3

Yes I agree, but that anomaly has now been corrected, Ronnie is back to an appropriate number 1 on this system.

Postby mediter

Andy Spark wrote:
Wild wrote:
sorry but Ronnie is no way no 2 best player over the last 2 years in a million years.

winner=0
Runner up=1
Semi finals=2
Quarter finals=2
Last 16=1
Last 32=4
Did not enter=3

Yes I agree, but that anomaly has now been corrected, Ronnie is back to an appropriate number 1 on this system.

:D :D :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :mosh2:

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
Wild wrote:

winner=0
Runner up=1
Semi finals=2
Quarter finals=2
Last 16=1
Last 32=4
Did not enter=3

thats why this rating is not right or acurate.

Postby mediter

...Since Ronnie so obviously is a genius. Anyone with a even a halfbrain can´t denying that. People just confuse being a geniuse to dictators and political wrong doings. It has nothing to do with that, I swear.

Obviously, Ronnie´s breakbuilding is out of anyone else league, still. Even if Trump or Higgins beats him, it´s a question of gritty, will to win and so on. But Ronnie´s break-building is out of anyone´s league.

Postby Tubberlad

Andy Spark wrote:
Wild wrote:

winner=0
Runner up=1
Semi finals=2
Quarter finals=2
Last 16=1
Last 32=4
Did not enter=3

What anomaly? The fact that O'Sullivan hasn't been as good as Higgins, Williams, Robertson, Selby, Ding or Trump? Does O'Sullivan have to be considered the best player in the world regardless of other playing better than him?

Postby Roland

If you look at Cuetracker you'll see Ronnie and Selby lead the stats in the frame and match win %ages over the last couple of seasons.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If you look at Cuetracker you'll see Ronnie and Selby lead the stats in the frame and match win %ages over the last couple of seasons.

yes but winning a match in one place on these stats is the same as another

best of 35=to best of 5

theres more to working out rankings than that.

Ronnie has reached 3 PTC Finals this season hes only reached 3 World Finals in 20 years almost=pressure and ability needed is greater.

Postby Tubberlad

Meh, throw any stat you like at me, the fact of the matter for me is that O'Sullivan hasn't been the best player in the World since mid 2009...

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Meh, throw any stat you like at me, the fact of the matter for me is that O'Sullivan hasn't been the best player in the World since mid 2009...

hes played great snooker this season now its time to deliver where it matters most.....at the moment hes dominating pro am pontins festival lets move up a notch or two.

Postby Tubberlad

There is very little wrong with O'Sullivan's game, he is proving that this season and he only barely lost to an awesome display from, in my opinion, the world's best player at this moment. The problem is translating this kind of form to more serious events...whether he will or not, I'm not sure, but as a great fan of the way O'Sullivan plays this game, I look forward to seeing what he can or cannot do.

Postby Andy Spark

Tubberlad wrote:There is very little wrong with O'Sullivan's game, he is proving that this season and he only barely lost to an awesome display from, in my opinion, the world's best player at this moment. The problem is translating this kind of form to more serious events...whether he will or not, I'm not sure, but as a great fan of the way O'Sullivan plays this game, I look forward to seeing what he can or cannot do.

There is nothing wrong with O'Sullivan's game really and I think this rating system illustrates that in a nice objective way. As for the question of translating that into big titles, well the best way of really coping with the pressure of the big event is just constantly putting yourself in those situations. Eventually you just take things in your stride and play your normal game, which in Ronnie's case is brilliant. As I said at the beginning of the season I expect Ronnie will do quite well and win a few nice titles.

Postby Tubberlad

Well yes, I hope so. At the moment he seems to be playing a lot better than both Higgins & Williams, the only guys in similar form to him are Robertson and Trump, perhaps Selby to an extent... then again, Higgins could hit form yet and there's so many good players out there, it's going to be interesting. But Sullivan is playing snooker that, in my opinion, is the best I've seen him play in about two years, he looks more at ease too, which is good. We'll see I guess.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:There is very little wrong with O'Sullivan's game, he is proving that this season and he only barely lost to an awesome display from, in my opinion, the world's best player at this moment. The problem is translating this kind of form to more serious events...whether he will or not, I'm not sure, but as a great fan of the way O'Sullivan plays this game, I look forward to seeing what he can or cannot do.

There is nothing wrong with O'Sullivan's game really and I think this rating system illustrates that in a nice objective way. As for the question of translating that into big titles, well the best way of really coping with the pressure of the big event is just constantly putting yourself in those situations. Eventually you just take things in your stride and play your normal game, which in Ronnie's case is brilliant. As I said at the beginning of the season I expect Ronnie will do quite well and win a few nice titles.

hes certainly playing well enough to do just that.