Post a reply

Re: YOUR IDEAL SNOOKER TOUR & SET UP

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Well qualifying for the 2012 WC takes places AFTER the China Open in the 2 weeks just BEFORE the WC so its hardly difficult to sort out. Infact the fact the qualifyings taking place directly before the WC makes me think WHY THE HELL NOT UPDATE THE RANKINGS AFTER CHINA !!!!

the tickets issue will never wash with me.

tickets are on sale for round 2, quarter final, semi final and finals and they sell without anyone knowing for sure who will be playing in them so the fact 1st rounds are known is a lame excuse.

The World Championship Qualifiers was a bad example, because I was forgetting they didn't split them in two any more. So, yeah, that one is feasible.

There would still have to be some reorganising of the calendar though, that might create differences. The qualifiers for the German Masters take place on 22-25 November, for example. The German Masters take place on 1-5 Februay 2012. If the rankings were revised after each tournament, the qualifiers for each tournament couldn't be held that long before the event, because the people needing to qualify for each tournament would change. As would the amount of matches certain people had to play. That was why I said it would be difficult to andministrate. You wouldn't be able to announce who was playing who and when until the last ranker was finished, it might lead to confusion with the players. The PTCs may also confuse this, though it's less likely to effect a player's ranking that much after each individual tournament, as there is so few ranking points available compared to other things.

When we first mentioned this back in the day on break-off, before the PTCS had been invented, that was my main issue, and one I said I'd like to see resolved. (Which of course, nobody even tried to sensibly discuss, we didn't even have this level of conversation regarding it.)

take a look at my simple mythical tour calendar in my above post

its a doddle to follow

if you think it would be hard for the players and fans to follow then god knows how they keep track of the current jumble and muddle of overlapping ranking zones, qualifiers way before the events, back to back rankers etc.

not only would my proposal make rolling rankings work perfectly, i would also simplify things greatly. what could be more straightforward than qualifiers, tournament then update rankings, then repeat the process again and again over the season :huh:

Postby SnookerFan

I said difficult to administer, not to follow.

World Snooker can't even schedule PTC's properly, let alone work something out where they have to change rankings all the time. rofl

I wiill concede that your list seems pretty good, Mr. Witz, I must say. :bowdown: :hatoff:

At least when we discuss new ideas on this site, we can discuss potential pitfalls and work out solutions. Unlike certain other people on other forums, who just tell you to buck off for asking questions of their ideas. rofl

Postby Witz78

the thing is WS currently issue updated rolling rankings after every event for some stupid reason even though they count for nothing as the rankings only officially change a few times a season so all there doing is complicating things.

Also they dont actually know how to update them properly as they often include the same event 3 times instead of 2 within the totals. For instance after Australia i think they made a big deal on their website about Hendry being back IN the top 16 when the truth was hed never officially fallen out of the top 16 at that point, but provisionally at that point he was out of the top 16 and still out so god knows what calculations they were using to say he was back in.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:the thing is WS currently issue updated rolling rankings after every event for some stupid reason even though they count for nothing as the rankings only officially change a few times a season so all there doing is complicating things.

Also they dont actually know how to update them properly as they often include the same event 3 times instead of 2 within the totals. For instance after Australia i think they made a big deal on their website about Hendry being back IN the top 16 when the truth was hed never officially fallen out of the top 16 at that point, but provisionally at that point he was out of the top 16 and still out so god knows what calculations they were using to say he was back in.

If we go full-on Rolling Ranking, I'd rather it not happen for a couple of seasons. Not because of anything the fans couldn't follow, more because I think World Snooker aren't very good at it. rofl I'd rather update it a couple of times a year, then have them monkeys try to do too much too early and make a botch of it.

Hearn has made strides, but snooker is still a work in progress.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
thats just from a selfish view that he wants to know whos playing when he buys his tickets months in advance <doh>

WC tickets go on sale in Nov, 3 months before the cut off so they will be sold out before top 16 is known so why not just make the WC cut off April

Changing the subject, didn't I read on the World Snooker website they went on sale on October 8th?

Postby Wildey

they put tickets on sale that far in advance then people who actually want to wait and see the draw has no chance anyway even if the qualifiers was in march like last year so what realisticly is the problem here ?

Postby Roland

Crucible always sells out anyway so what's the problem? I'm getting some tickets and will wait nearer the time for others.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Crucible always sells out anyway so what's the problem? I'm getting some tickets and will wait nearer the time for others.

point is if the draw is in march or the draw is mid april the same people that would wait until march will be this year waiting until april same scenario just closer to the action.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Crucible always sells out anyway so what's the problem? I'm getting some tickets and will wait nearer the time for others.

No problem to be fair, I wish I'd never got involved in this conversation. rofl The tickets thing was only ever a side-note to wondering how true rolling rankings could be arranged. :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:they put tickets on sale that far in advance then people who actually want to wait and see the draw has no chance anyway even if the qualifiers was in march like last year so what realisticly is the problem here ?

I never meant to imply it was MASSIVE problem, more a consideration. In fact, I only got drawn into this topic because my name was mentioned close to the start and the words; "selfish" was bandied around due to the way I buy tickets. So, I wasn't intending on starting the massive debate and off topic conversation it started. I just joined in to clarify what I'd said/meant before. I then got the Spanish Inquisition. :-(

Postby SnookerFan

And, to be fair, it's The Masters where it's the biggest problem with the one table set up. (Or at least for the UK, I can't comment on foreign tournaments, never been.)

The Crucible the problem isn't as noticable, because people go for The Crucible factor. Though there were tickets available for all first round sessions until the matches were announced. But if you go to The Crucible you could be watching me and Wild have a game, and the banter would still be good.

The Welsh Open / UK have the right idea. Have more then one match at a time, and let you sit where you like. Wouldn't work at The Masters or The Crucible, but remedies it an almost meaningless problem. (Though if Ronnie plays a lot of people turn up for his match, then snake hiss off. So it's not completely gone because you get his fans buy all the tickets, then don't stay for the next match. <laugh> )

In conclusion, though I think it would discourage some fans from going, or at least postpone them from buying tickets, it's perhaps not the huge issue I made it sound like it was earlier when I was hot, and snake hissed off at being quoted at being against an issue I wasn't against. I see it more as a consideration in a sport that lacks a lot of ticket buying fans. (Which is a sad truth in this sport.)

I intend to plan many more finals, as I'm sure do others on this site. Let's hope we can get some of the people less commited to start buying more tickets again. I think we can, at least, agree on that.

Mr. Hearn. :bowdown:

Postby Witz78

You plan going to many more finals?

you gonna wait till the semi finals have been played then before you get your tickets so u know whos playing then :D

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:You plan going to many more finals?

you gonna wait till the semi finals have been played then before you get your tickets so u know whos playing then :D

No. :D

I'm living but what I've said in this whole thread, that I wasn't talking about myself. :D