67%
Game
13%
Don't care
20%

Total votes : 15

Re: Snooker: Sport or Game?

Postby Bourne

They're allowed to play an exho match for fun whenever they like, just like players at the same club play together day in day out.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:They're allowed to play an exho match for fun whenever they like, just like players at the same club play together day in day out.

dont know about that if there's a no exho during events unless its sanctioned in the contract but what i do know not on TV Anywhere.

btw we not talking about fun matches we are talking about money matches

Postby Wildey

davehendon David Hendon
Disappointing take-up for Brazil but good to see Davis and Hendry going. Two proper ambassadors.

a bit hard hitting lol

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
davehendon David Hendon
Disappointing take-up for Brazil but good to see Davis and Hendry going. Two proper ambassadors.

a bit hard hitting lol

Has Dave Hendon weighed in on whether he thinks snooker is a game or a sport?

Postby Roland

He'd go for sport as most snooker fans would.

Postby GJ

Brazil event is a glorified exhibition

fact

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:Brazil event is a glorified exhibition

fact

And the World Cup weren't?

im interested in proper ranking events :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

fact

ill tell you what most if not all Ranking Event started out in the same way unless players takes these events serious how the buck can snooker survive and spread ?

dont know why so little top players gone to this event but its their funeral.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:

fact

ill tell you what most if not all Ranking Event started out in the same way unless players takes these events serious how the buck can snooker survive and spread ?

yes mate keep telling yourself that

:wave:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

fact

yes mate keep telling yourself that

:wave:

im telling it because its the truth..

UK Championship started as a little invitational tournament for UK Players

Postby SnookerFan

I agree with Wild.

The UK Championship was nothing when it started, other then a glorified other then a invitational event. A couple of years ago players were complaining that they felt like 'part-time professionals'. They're words, not the fans words. Now they are given chances to play all over the world. They've gone from part-time professionals to international stars. But some now moan there are too may opportunities to play. A few years ago, the majority of players would jump at the chance to go to Brazil to play, even if there was no ranking points available. Now it's being pooh-poohed.

I leave home at 7:30am in the morning to get to work, and know plenty of people who conisder that a late start. These people are paid to play snooker. Okay, there may be certain fans who don't watch the Brazilian tournament as it's not a full ranker. But that's the choice of the fans. You'd think the players would jump at the chance, considering the state the sport was in a couple of seasons ago.

If not, they can go and do a 9 to 5 job like me. And consider themselves lucky that they aren't down the mines, or doing a really taxing job.

Postby GJ

complete BS

robbo and ding have shanghai the week before and premier legaue which their committed to is on a couple of days after brazil event

so how are they expected to play all 3 at 100 % committment and effort

5-11 SEP
Shanghai Masters
China

15-18 SEP
Brazilian Masters
Costao do Santinho Resort, Santa Catarina, Brazil.

22 SEP
Premier League
Ravenscraig Sports Facility, Motherwell

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:complete BS

robbo and ding have shanghai the week before and premier legaue which their committed to is on a couple of days after brazil event

5-11 SEP
Shanghai Masters
China

15-18 SEP
Brazilian Masters

22 SEP
Premier League

they should get on with it the lazy work shy chameleons

even and its a BIG if, they make the finals of each of the 2 events abroad, they have 4 days till the next event so ample time to travel and get ready, hardly like they need much time to practice before each event if theyve came into it off the back of a final or win and are fully up to match speed.

tennis players and golfers have similar schedules globetrotting across the world from week to week and they get on with it. Does snooker want to become a proper sport or remain a joke??

For me, Ronnie, Robbo, the "International Playboi" who only plays at home, Ding, Higgins and Williams fall into the Ali "i cant wait to get home" Carter category after failing to play in Brazil.

The line up for this event is now arguably the most dull and uninspiring in snooker history. Full of bores and non-personalities. The glimmer of hope of snooker having a chance of making a breakthrough in Brazil has been killed off before it even had a chance, thanks to these stay away losers.

Postby gallantrabbit

John From London Town wrote:I'm not sure how to answer this question. Probably a game when your winning & a sport when your losing? Not sure to be honest.

Or perhaps a runt when you're losing ;-)

Postby gallantrabbit

Witz78 wrote:

5-11 SEP
Shanghai Masters
China

15-18 SEP
Brazilian Masters

22 SEP
Premier League

they should get on with it the lazy work shy chameleons

even and its a BIG if, they make the finals of each of the 2 events abroad, they have 4 days till the next event so ample time to travel and get ready, hardly like they need much time to practice before each event if theyve came into it off the back of a final or win and are fully up to match speed.

tennis players and golfers have similar schedules globetrotting across the world from week to week and they get on with it. Does snooker want to become a proper sport or remain a joke??

For me, Ronnie, Robbo, the "International Playboi" who only plays at home, Ding, Higgins and Williams fall into the Ali "i cant wait to get home" Carter category after failing to play in Brazil.

The line up for this event is now arguably the most dull and uninspiring in snooker history. Full of bores and non-personalities. The glimmer of hope of snooker having a chance of making a breakthrough in Brazil has been killed off before it even had a chance, thanks to these stay away losers.

Wrong thread Witz but unfortunately you're right in everything you say :spot on: . My 4 day pass has already been rubber stamped by the missus though so if it were Wild v GJ over best of 49 I'd still be there ;-) . Might also be the last chance over here cos with that type of line up and the event being played in a poncy resort it'll be the last for some years to come :sad:

Postby Wildey

5-11 SEP
Shanghai Masters
China

15-18 SEP
Brazilian Masters

22 SEP
Premier League

well that could be the reason then but hold on does that make Murphy and Carter supermen :chin:

Postby Wildey

im not being funny here but out of 3 of them events Brazil should be priority.

not because its a major not because it pays well but because it COULD be a Ranking event in a few years now there's a big question mark over will there ever be snooker in brazil again.

on the question of traveling cost my guess mark davis not as well off as John Higgins so thats a no go area.

michael holt on twitter said

hitmanholt Michael Holt
@
@davehendon can't believe players aren't going!!! #sun #pinacoladas #thongs #idlovetogo #letsgobackto6events

so he would be there with bells on having fun seeing the world.

Postby SnookerFan

John From London Town wrote:I thought this was already done, no? What does this dictionary define the difference as? Remind me.
I voted don't care, if it makes a difference.

This thread seems to be running two seperate discussions. The sport vs game discussion, and the Brazilian Masters discussion. rofl

Postby mediter

Slightly out of topic again, but if anyone gets really bored about snooker, 8ball, 9ball or carom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdIq2pArGwthere´s the greatest game ever: One-pocket !!

I have fell in love with that game recently. Mate told me same a few months ago, first I thought he was nuts. But that game is just pure class ! You can tell that greatest 8 and 9 ball players Stricland and Reyes are also in love with that game and really enjoying it. Would love to see i.e O´Sullivan trying that game also because tactics are just out of this world, you have to use all the world flair considering tactics while playing that game. Thought it would suit snooker players like O´Sullivan or Steve Davis really well, like Strickland and Reyes loves that game also. Now that´s the game I am really looking forward playing also in the future and highly recommend that to everyone who gets bored just potting balls with "automatic" cue ball control !