Post a reply

Re: Eurosport Snooker Coverage !!!

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:They're not showing the last two quarter finals on Saturday afternoon or the two semis and the final on Sunday. That says a lot more than them showing endless hours of coverage during the week when theres no other sport on and most people are at work anyway.

so what do they do ?

no sport on during the week i know there is sport at the weekend but we will tell them to go buck off :?

Postby GJ

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:They're not showing the last two quarter finals on Saturday afternoon or the two semis and the final on Sunday. That says a lot more than them showing endless hours of coverage during the week when theres no other sport on and most people are at work anyway.

<cool> :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Another thing that struck me about Eurosport last night, after catching up on a bit of World Cup action, was that it's perhaps a better tool for the established snooker fan then creating new ones. I know the channel has created a lot of new fans in Europe, but they don't have much choice. (And I can't comment on the presentation or commentator abilities in other countries.)

But their almost random nature takes away from what got me hooked on snooker in the first place. Snooker is a sport that has an ability to hook you. When you first start watching, you might not know the people in the game, but if something dramatic happens, you stay to see the next frame. For example, if somebody misses frame ball, and the other guy clears up, you stay to see the next frame to see what happens next. And so on... That's what gets you hooked on the game, and then if you tune in to the same tournament a couple of days later, and the same guy who won was playing, you'd watch due to sort of being; "Oh this guy again."

I'm not a new fan any more, so that doesn't apply as much. But how many people are going to get hooked to a tournament if, say, half the match is cut off due to an important skiing tournament coming on. (On Sunday morning the final of the Wuxi Classic cut off just when Selby and Carter were arguing with the referee.) Not being able to show all of the matches doesn't help, though that's not exclusive to Eurosport. (See the UK Championships up until this season.) Also, as people have said, for a channel with a budget of £8 a decade, it's understandable. There is a lack of analysis before or after games, and commentators who make elementary mistakes. (Yesterday, they didn't know which of the Pakistani players were which. And I'm sure we can all come up with other mistakes they've made.)

All in all, it's not a diss to Eurosport. As has been said, they do as good a job as a small time, low-budget TV station can. And I'd rather have the tournaments televised this way, then not at all. Snooker isn't an affluent enough sport to attract much mainstream TV attention outside of the majors, so in that respect Eurosport can be a godsend.

My point is only, I think it's aimed more at people who watch a lot of snooker, and don't necessarily need top commentary or analysis to know what's going on. A new fan wouldn't neccessarily be hooked on it by watching a lot of half matches with poor production values. This is where the debate lies, for me. Established fans wanting to watch as much snooker as possible may be grateful that it's on. But would it create legions of new fans, like a BBC tournament might?

Postby Wildey

but that dont back up facts lol

theres people that got hooked on snooker by watching Eurosport i know of one that is a Anthony Hamilton fan and never seen him playing before 2006 now what the buck has hamilton done since 2006 jack rubbish lol but she watched him on Eurosport once and was hooked.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:but that dont back up facts lol

theres people that got hooked on snooker by watching Eurosport i know of one that is a Anthony Hamilton fan and never seen him playing before 2006 now what the buck has hamilton done since 2006 jack rubbish lol but she watched him on Eurosport once and was hooked.

Well, I've not done the appropriate legwork, checking what channel everybody watched their first match on. rofl It was just a thought that struck me, from what got me hooked in the first place.

People do get hooked on it across Europe, as I acknowledged. I was just making a point that I thought people in Britain were less likely to get hooked for the sport on a channel like Eurosport then the BBC. But you never know. :shrug:

I just find the people the most passionate supporters tend to be the ones who channel surf onto it to see what's on, rather then people who are already a fan of something and check the times to see when it's supposed to start. rofl

Postby Wildey

people get hooked in different ways Randam was the Ebdon v Dott final of 2006 now thats interesting lol

Snooker is magnetic you have to stay and watch it even if you never seen it before.....it was made for TV.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:people get hooked in different ways Randam was the Ebdon v Dott final of 2006 now thats interesting lol

Snooker is magnetic you have to stay and watch it even if you never seen it before.....it was made for TV.

Aye, I guess. It's just a shame that people channel surf on during tournaments, and Eurosport are showing Skiing. Or that weird-arse sport where you go skiing, then have to shoot at a target.

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:people get hooked in different ways Randam was the Ebdon v Dott final of 2006 now thats interesting lol

Aye, I guess. It's just a shame that people channel surf on during tournaments, and Eurosport are showing Skiing. Or that weird-arse sport where you go skiing, then have to shoot at a target.

Did you see this morning before the snooker? It was a van driving through a field in france. No spectators, little interesting scenery, just one camera from a helicopter or something showing a big ass slow van driving through grassy fields.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
Did you see this morning before the snooker? It was a van driving through a field in france. No spectators, little interesting scenery, just one camera from a helicopter or something showing a big ass slow van driving through grassy fields.

Doing what? Was it some promotion of the Tour-De-France? Driving a van through a field can't be considered a sport now, surely? rofl