Post a reply

Re: Snooker isnt big in china...

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:Very well done witz! How about solving this inequality:

2. If p is a whole number and -2 less than or equal to p < 5 then:
p =

Im a lot better at english by the way. Got an A for my A level coursework essays ;)

right then im offski, got better stuff to do than bloody maths equations :chuckle:

rofl

Postby Roland

Yeah you multiply one factor so it eliminates it so

7x - 6y = 17
4x + 6y = 38

then

6y = 7x - 17
6y = 38 - 4x

then

7x - 17 = 38-4x

7x = 55 - 4x

11x = 55 therefore x=5

then
4x + 6y = 38
so
20 + 6y = 38 so 6y is 18 so y is 3

Postby randam05

Tubberlad wrote:What the buck?

rofl exactly! I kinda remembered it from GCSE but buck me why is that useful at all in later life? It really got me angry at the time that I had to learn this!

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Sonny wrote:If you got a B then I'm complaining to the schools watchdog!

Its been a long hard year of doing A levels without maths so its left my mind really. But thats why I said about they dont teach you the right stuff. They teach you equations, quadratic equations, inequalities, simulatenous equations.

This is a simulataneous equation, does anyone know how to solve it?

7. Solve this pair of simultaneous equations.
7x - 6y = 17
2x + 3y = 19

?

This is why I dropped maths after GCSE and was very happy with my B.

right so your after the values of x and y

give me a min

too easy :win:

x = 5
y = 3

7x-6y=17............... (7*5)-(6*3) = 35-18 = 17

2x+3y=19 ...............(2*5)+(3*3) = 10+9 = 19

You didn't show the working so half points

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Yeah you multiply one factor so it eliminates it so

7x - 6y = 17
4x + 6y = 38

then

6y = 7x - 17
6y = 38 - 4x

then

7x - 17 = 38-4x

7x = 55 - 4x

11x = 55 therefore x=5

then
4x + 6y = 38
so
20 + 6y = 38 so 6y is 18 so y is 3

youve got even further back to go than me to remember that sh*t haha

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:

rofl exactly! I kinda remembered it from GCSE but buck me why is that useful at all in later life? It really got me angry at the time that I had to learn this!

I'm desperately bad at maths, and I mean awful, I am to Maths what Wild is to the English language. I've had a read through this, and I can see everyone laughing at you but I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Its been a long hard year of doing A levels without maths so its left my mind really. But thats why I said about they dont teach you the right stuff. They teach you equations, quadratic equations, inequalities, simulatenous equations.

This is a simulataneous equation, does anyone know how to solve it?

7. Solve this pair of simultaneous equations.
7x - 6y = 17
2x + 3y = 19

?

This is why I dropped maths after GCSE and was very happy with my B.

right so your after the values of x and y

give me a min

too easy :win:

x = 5
y = 3

7x-6y=17............... (7*5)-(6*3) = 35-18 = 17

2x+3y=19 ...............(2*5)+(3*3) = 10+9 = 19

You didn't show the working so half points

lol i said i would crack it in a minute so i couldnt afford to waste time showing my workings :no:

Postby jadechelsea

[quote="randam05"]Right lets say there are 1.3 billion living there and only 63 million here. Around 3 million of our population watch the WC final on average in the last few years. Now how many watch it there? 125 million?

Of course thats a lot and only a guesstimate to be honest.

BUT 3/63 million = 4.6% of country watch it.

AND 125 million/1.3 billion = 9.6% of country watch it.

So really snooker is more popular in Britain! Just because the country has more viewers doesnt mean its more popular as a lower percentage of the country watches it.

If you increased Britains population to 1.3 billion im sure we would have over 100 million viewers easily!

People always say why are china so good at every sport. Well because they have over 1/6 of the worlds population living there! So of course there will be people good at something there!

Anyway, ive never seen a snooker tournament with more spectators than one in the UK. Or ive never seen one with the venue packed as we so often do here in UK. Take the Hainan Classic, Wuxi Classic this year, Shanghai last season and even the China Open, the crowds are never that large! Although this may come down to economy and price of tickets I dont know.

But the stats above I find interesting.

PERCENTAGES HAVE BEEN CORRECTED TO MY POINT ALMOST BECOMES IRRELEVANT! :hatoff:[/quote/ Jake you got this from me I said this to you before you thought of it :sad: <laugh>

Postby randam05

I thought you mentioned it yeah jade :-) Just wanted to back it up by percentages and rubbish :blush:

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
randam05 wrote:

I'm desperately bad at maths, and I mean awful, I am to Maths what Wild is to the English language. I've had a read through this, and I can see everyone laughing at you but I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

that rubbish <laugh>

Postby jadechelsea

randam05 wrote:I thought you mentioned it yeah jade :-) Just wanted to back it up by percentages and donkey doo :blush:

cool thanks I wanted to do the topic my self oh :-)

Postby Witz78

being good with fractions is very handy when it comes to being in the bookies and instantly knowing what an odd in fractions is in decimals to quickly work out the returns to your stake, though i see more and more bookies are resorting to doing away with the odds in fractions which is a sad to see a tradition go.

Also they usually tell you on your slip whats it worth which is rubbish, I used to enjoy thinking of a line in midweek for Sats games then calculating out where would give me the best return. Then bloody oddschecker came along and spoiled the fun of that too. God knows why i didnt think of the Oddschecker idea b4 they did

Postby Wildey

jadechelsea WC wrote:
randam05 wrote:I thought you mentioned it yeah jade :-) Just wanted to back it up by percentages and donkey doo :blush:

yes i think it would have worked out better <laugh>

Postby jadechelsea

Wild wrote:
jadechelsea WC wrote:

yes i think it would have worked out better <laugh>

<laugh> <laugh> wild

Postby Monique

Jake it's not only that you can't do the maths, you also blatantly ignore the fact that the standard of living and life style of most Chinese isn't comparable to what you know in UK. The price of tickets in China is huge as compared to what they earn. Also while most people in UK have a television (at least) at home, I would not be surprised if most Chinese living outside the cities - in the remote parts of the country where agriculture is the main resource - had very limited access to any media.
The very basics of meaningful statistics is to compare things that are comparable.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:Jake it's not only that you can't do the maths, you also blatantly ignore the fact that the standard of living and life style of most Chinese isn't comparable to what you know in UK. The price of tickets in China is huge as compared to what they earn. Also while most people in UK have a television (at least) at home, I would not be surprised if most Chinese living outside the cities - in the remote parts of the country where agriculture is the main resource - had very limited access to any media.
The very basics of meaningful statistics is to compare things that are comparable.

i think what we need now is a comparison of the average ticket price for a days snooker ratio to the average weekly wage in China and the UK

any takers?

Postby Monique

We also need a television per capita ratio for UK and for China, as well as statistics on channels available by region with subscribers percentages and annual snookers hours available on average per channel.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:We also need a television per capita ratio for UK and for China, as well as statistics on channels available by region with subscribers percentages and annual snookers hours available on average per channel.

i nominate................. :chin:

Monique <ok>

Postby Wildey

could someone summerise the findings for a simpleton like me to understand <ok> <laugh>

Postby GJ

randam living up to his new role as simple fan's sidekick