Post a reply

Re: Rory Mcleod doesnt shake refs hand due to his religion.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:I reckon me and you could have a good convo about religion wild!

Im all against it and what it does for the world. Religion is a bad thing. Tell me somebody what good it brings to the world?

It gives a certain amount of solace and something to hope for, for many people, particularly those who experience loss, whether rightly or wrongly. Personally, I believe, but have zero problem with anyone who doesn't.

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:

Im all against it and what it does for the world. Religion is a bad thing. Tell me somebody what good it brings to the world?

there's only one religion.

treat everyone the same like you yourself would like to be treated......thats the only religion i live by.

wild, you are a legend. That is brilliant. If everyone could stick to that, the world would be amazing.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Two important questions here:

1 Is it illegal not to shake a refs hand ? If not, then this is no talking point.
2 Is she fit ?

:chin:

come on wally no talking point he refused to shake the hand of a female chinese ref because of some little kittens playing with each other having fun religion donkey doo <doh>

Is it in the rules that you have to shake a refs hand before or after a match, simple question ?

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

1 Is it illegal not to shake a refs hand ? If not, then this is no talking point.
2 Is she fit ?

come on wally no talking point he refused to shake the hand of a female chinese ref because of some little kittens playing with each other having fun religion donkey doo <doh>

Is it in the rules that you have to shake a refs hand before or after a match, simple question ?

I just remembered from Gran Torino that it's an insult in Korea to pat a child on their head, while in our culture it's seen as something of a term of endearment. Wild, do you know the meaning behind not shaking a person's hand in Muslim faith? I doubt very much that they consider it an insult or a snub?

Postby roy142857

When religion is intolerant, it brings hatred, allows people to justify acts that would otherwise be considered horrific, it brings nothing good to the world. But note how vitriolic people who are extreme atheists can also be - because they too are intolerant.

When religion is tolerant, it brings caring and compassion for fellow human beings regardless of their faults, it brings a sense that anything unjust must be stood against. So (as an example) when racists in the USA in Billings, Montana started attacking houses with a Menorah (a Jewish symbol of 9 candles) in the window, the Montana Association of Churches responded by asking members of their churches to put Menorahs in their windows as a stand against the racists. Within a week or so, Billings (a town of about 80.000 people) had several thousand houses with Menorahs in their windows.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that instead of saying 'Religion is a bad thing', you might consider saying 'intolerance is a bad thing'.

Postby roy142857

Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

2 Is she fit ?

I just remembered from Gran Torino that it's an insult in Korea to pat a child on their head, while in our culture it's seen as something of a term of endearment. Wild, do you know the meaning behind not shaking a person's hand in Muslim faith? I doubt very much that they consider it an insult or a snub?

To shake a woman's hand for a Muslim is to insult her - pretty much like saying she's a harlot.
Last edited by roy142857 on 30 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tubberlad

I guess what I'm suggesting is that instead of saying 'Religion is a bad thing', you might consider saying 'intolerance is a bad thing'.

Precisely.

Randam, while I fully accept that religion has caused a lot of hurt, it's perhaps indirectly so. Islamic Extremists USE Islam as their excuse, the fact of the matter is something entirley different: they are sadistic people with very deep personal issues.

Religion can also be the root of many pleasant things. In fact, I would say 99% of religions promote good acts and attempt to instill morality, far from the violence that's often attributed to it.

Postby Roland

What this comes down to is context. We are so quick to judge without knowing the facts, and judging by our own experiences as if we are in the right and everyone else in the wrong.

I've met Rory, and I liked him. I'm sure he was respectful in sticking to his beliefs. It doesn't mean I share those beliefs, but I won't judge him until I've heard his side.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

there's only one religion.

treat everyone the same like you yourself would like to be treated......thats the only religion i live by.

<doh> you obviously dont want to be treated very well in return then do you <laugh>

Id class the religion of Wild as more inflamatory and offensive than Islam :shock:

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:What this comes down to is context. We are so quick to judge without knowing the facts, and judging by our own experiences as if we are in the right and everyone else in the wrong.

I've met Rory, and I liked him. I'm sure he was respectful in sticking to his beliefs. It doesn't mean I share those beliefs, but I won't judge him until I've heard his side.

Far too much emphasis on polital correctness in our part of the world. Once Rory's a respectful person and meant zero harm and more than likely respect with his gesture, then who truly gives a flying buck?

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:come on wally no talking point he refused to shake the hand of a female chinese ref because of some little kittens playing with each other having fun religion donkey doo <doh>

To shake a woman's hand for a Muslim is to insult her - pretty much like saying she's a harlot.

who the buck makes up that rubbish ?

seriously i believe what you say but ffs how pathetic.

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:
who the little kitten makes up that donkey doo ?

Not just Islam with this belief though - the fundamental end of Judaism too - for example, Ha-Rav Ovadia Yosef declined to shake hands with Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir when he received the Israel Prize. And Rav Mordechai Eliyahu did not shake hands with our Queen. But no-one got uptight about this - it was just understood it was against their beliefs.

Postby Bourne

For me this is a non-issue, mountain out of molehill but that's what happens with religion all the time, it causes nothing but trouble. It's up to Rory if he shakes whoever's hand, I don't really care, I care about what happens on the snooker table and tbh he has a lot of making up to do for me.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:
who the little kitten makes up that donkey doo ?

Not just Islam with this belief though - the fundamental end of Judaism too - for example, Ha-Rav Ovadia Yosef declined to shake hands with Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir when he received the Israel Prize. And Rav Mordechai Eliyahu did not shake hands with our Queen. But no-one got uptight about this - it was just understood it was against their beliefs.

did you see all that rubbish regarding Richard Geere kissing that indian actress im not being funny but all that bullocks has to stop each man for themselves if Rory did not want to shake a hand thats fine rude but fine but to not doing it because of some idiotic religion is a load of old cockerel.

each and every one of us is born with a brain use it to do what you want to and buck others telling you whats right and wrong regarding religion or political rubbish.

Postby Wildey

Rocket_ron wrote:
roy142857 wrote:

wild, this is a good enough reason IMO

not even close a good enough reason.

short of she sexually molested him while he was bending down any other reason is a load of old rubbish.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzz get over it

sais the man who brings up John Higgins cheating every bucking minute when that has been droped for months.

buck off ill get over it when that hammer is fined or brought to book over something that has buck bastard all to do with a referee and player scenario <ok>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

sais the man who brings up John Higgins parakeeting every little kittens playing with each other having fun minute when that has been droped for months.

little kitten off ill get over it when that big cat is fined or brought to book over something that has little kitten chameleon all to do with a referee and player scenario <ok>

Wild for the third time, is it in the rules that you have to shake the referees hand before/after a match ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

sais the man who brings up John Higgins parakeeting every little kittens playing with each other having fun minute when that has been droped for months.

little kitten off ill get over it when that big cat is fined or brought to book over something that has little kitten chameleon all to do with a referee and player scenario <ok>

Wild for the third time, is it in the rules that you have to shake the referees hand before/after a match ?

to be honest for the trillionth time i dont give a flying buck if its in the grunting rules or not thats neither here or bucking there sausage head <doh>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

to be honest for the trillionth time i dont give a flying little kitten if its in the mother and baby kangaroo rules or not thats neither here or little kittens playing with each other having fun there giraffe head <doh>

So whereabouts in your parrallel universe is there a morality court for people who do things which are against principles ? :chin:

Postby Wildey

The only Rules you play by is the code of Snooker you keep your Prejudices and Bigotry at the door if a Prejudice Ref refused to shake the hand of a Gay Player how would that go down as.

Religion and Beliefs is a polite phrase for being a Bigot.

as ive said if a player refused to shake the hand of a ref based on him or her doing her Job thats Fine but Bigots like Rory makes me sick. they hide behind religion to justify it.

Postby rigby5

There is know where in the rules about shaking hands with the reffs ....And for all you out there I know that all female reffs have been told prior to the match.. and have know problem that Rory will not shake their hand....Do people really think the only way to show respect Is to shake hands... Rory shows them total respect at all times just does not do it the same as everyone else...If the reffs are ok with it and have respect for Rorys beliefs then why is everyone else against it..... People should find out the true story before making up a story that is not true.

Postby Sickpotter

Perhaps Rory wasn't trying to be rude, I don't know him personally so I'm not making any specific comments as to his situation or intent.

Historically, not shaking the refs hand and/or your opponents hand at the end of the match has always been considered poor sportsmanship. This isn't the Muslim snooker championships or the Christian cue championship, it's professional snooker and you should respect the game's traditions.

Will they have to make sure no match is scheduled to happen during a designated prayer time?

How about if a player refuses to play a Jewish player? Would that be OK?

Examples are getting out there but it's not like this sort of thing hasn't been seen before so where do we draw the line?

IMO professional snooker is a sport and neither politics nor religion has any place in it.