Post a reply

Re: Mark Williams in 2011/2012

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Barry Hearn has said if someone comes forward with a offer he will play a PTC Anywhere it doesn't have to be sheffield.

does that mean the SWSA are funding the 2 PTCs being player there then? :john:

dont know lol

but i do know over the coming years the PTC will be evolving in to bigger events one way or another.

the way i see it the PTC will slowly die like the chrysalis of a caterpillar with butterflies (full rankers) emerging from the cacoon !!

12 PTC will evolve to 3 rankers and 6 PTC over the next 5 years or less.

i do think the idea of PTC will remain played over a weekend but less of them and better playing conditions.

Postby randam05

I really like the PTCS think they are a great success and I love following the results, seeing how the lesser likes do, and enjoy the suprise results! For example Dominic Dales wins over the top players in the PTC he won, including a 4-0 win over neil robertson.

Janie has said to me a PTC is being held at the academy at the end of August! and another one yet to be confirmed I think Sarah said. Thats pretty exciting! Who else thinks they will be going there in August? Would be nice to meet a few more of you.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:the way i see it the PTC will slowly die like the chrysalis of a caterpillar with butterflies (full rankers) emerging from the cacoon !!

That's certainly what I'd like to see. The PTCs serve a purpose, which is to keep players playing and earning money. And keep players match sharp for the real ranking events.

However, they have to go one way or the other. Because outside of the keeping players sharp for the televised tournaments, they offer little to fans. What's the point in a non-televised, non-fan watchable tournament? So, we either have to get them on television in front of crowd, or as you suggest, keep them in the short term and have ranking events increase over the next couple of seasons, until players are so busy PTCs aren't needed. If you did televise them, though, I feel they'd get stale pretty quickly. Though I wasn't one of them, there were some even on snooker forums complaining that best of nine tournaments were dry, because there were so many of them. If that's the case, how would you feel about a best of seven tournament almost every weekend? They'd get very samey very quickly, I feel. I'd prefer more rankers, with perhaps different lengths of matches to vary it a bit (with the World Open being the sole one that was shorter then best of nines, to keep it unique.)

We seem to have a good start with rankers held in Australia and India propping up this season. It'd selfishly be good to see them be more in the UK, but you have to go where the popularity is, obviously. Maybe one in Germany that is longer, and less clustered then the German Masters. Let's hope the ranking event expansion continues.

Postby Roland

"However, they have to go one way or the other. Because outside of the keeping players sharp for the televised tournaments, they offer little to fans."

That's quite small minded because there are many youngsters with big ambitions who need to test themselves against the top players and the PTC offers them the chance to do that, so in terms of grass roots and building for the future, the PTC is very important. There is enough snooker for the fans these days. There wasn't a couple of seasons ago but we can no longer use that one as a negative when there is too much snooker to stay abreast without it completely engulfing us in the professional game.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:"However, they have to go one way or the other. Because outside of the keeping players sharp for the televised tournaments, they offer little to fans."

That's quite small minded because there are many youngsters with big ambitions who need to test themselves against the top players and the PTC offers them the chance to do that, so in terms of grass roots and building for the future, the PTC is very important. There is enough snooker for the fans these days. There wasn't a couple of seasons ago but we can no longer use that one as a negative when there is too much snooker to stay abreast without it completely engulfing us in the professional game.

great point

just say the PTC is fased out compleatly what will then happen to increase the chances for up and coming players.

i think getting rid of the PTC Compleatly would be a mistake just because it gives young players that opertunity to pit their game against a top player maybe on tour you wont get for 2 or even 3 years plus it gives anyone such as Alex who thinks of entering PTC (we will know later if he has) the opertunity to play and Draw John Higgins.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:"However, they have to go one way or the other. Because outside of the keeping players sharp for the televised tournaments, they offer little to fans."

Good point. That's another advantage of the PTCs.

It could become a hard one, if the amount of ranking events continues to improve. I mean, like Witz, I'd personally rather see more televised ranking tournaments. I'd rather see the PTCs fased out, and more ranking events brought in, but maybe we could reduce the number of PTCs rather then eradicate them?

As long as the PTCs remain all but results to be looked at on the internet, it's not going to do enough for expanding the fan-base of the sport, which is a very important issue. And the basic problem Hearn was brought in to address. Maybe if we reduced the PTCs by a couple of events, and brought in more rankers to balance. I mean, it might be difficult to work out timings with qualifying, but I'm sure we can come to some terms.

Bottom line for me is, the more televised ranking events the better.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Good point. That's another advantage of the PTCs.

It could become a hard one, if the amount of ranking events continues to improve. I mean, like Witz, I'd personally rather see more televised ranking tournaments. I'd rather see the PTCs fased out, and more ranking events brought in, but maybe we could reduce the number of PTCs rather then eradicate them?

As long as the PTCs remain all but results to be looked at on the internet, it's not going to do enough for expanding the fan-base of the sport, which is a very important issue. And the basic problem Hearn was brought in to address. Maybe if we reduced the PTCs by a couple of events, and brought in more rankers to balance. I mean, it might be difficult to work out timings with qualifying, but I'm sure we can come to some terms.

Bottom line for me is, the more televised ranking events the better.

BUT remember there are players out there that did not get on tour in Q School and that kick in the stomach would have been terminal for some of them and the sport might lose them for ever despite being talented players but those players thank to the PTC Still got the chance to play pro snooker for the next 7 months.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:BUT remember there are players out there that did not get on tour in Q School and that kick in the stomach would have been terminal for some of them and the sport might lose them for ever despite being talented players but those players thank to the PTC Still got the chance to play pro snooker for the next 7 months.

I understand that, but it's getting the balance right. In any sport there are talented individuals that miss out on making it pro. You just don't hear of them. There's only a certain amount of spots that can be taking, irregardless of talent.

That's not to say that we should completely forget about the grass roots of the game, or give young kids no opportunities. That's silly. I'm just saying we've got to find a way to get the balance right. Which is why I acknowledged the point perhaps we shouldn't wipe the PTCs out completely. But, at the same time, we don't want to over prioritise PTCs because there will be players that don't quite make it to pro-level either.

Postby SnookerFan

Love the following question, from the fans: As we know, you play with your left hand. How about eating, holding pens or iphones?

rofl <doh> rofl

Postby hitman_ronnie1

randam05 wrote:He remains to be my current favourite player. (real favourite asides from dale, swail and hamilton) He is truely brilliant and gives me goosebumps the way he plays. Hes a role model of mine and a childhood hero if Im honest.

I dearly want to see him win a World championship. He deserves a third in my eyes.

i'd have predicted 4 world titles by now after his 2nd title in 2003.

just goes to show how off the boil he went though. :wretch:

he'll win another major though i reckon.

whether that'll be the world's i ain't so sure though.

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:Choker, confirmed. :gag:

;-)

Postby Wildey

just a thought didnt Ronnie choke 2 finals against Selby :chin:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

just a thought didnt Ronnie choke 2 finals against Selby :chin:

and the WC QF in 2009 from 9-5 up

Postby Wildey

point is players lose from in front it doesn't make them chokers.

Postby hitman_ronnie1

SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie choked against Ebdon at the 2005 Worlds. :grrr:

that was ebdon being a slow hammer.

shot clocks would have been a good idea in that game. :blush:

Postby SnookerFan

hitman_ronnie1 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie choked against Ebdon at the 2005 Worlds. :grrr:

that was ebdon being a slow hammer.

shot clocks would have been a good idea in that game. :blush:

Don't you start with shot clocks. rofl

Postby mediter

I think Mark Williams is one of those guys who really loves snooker - and loves to play competitive snooker. That´s why he plays natural and normally very ease. Of course everyone gets tight sometimes and chokes. But Williams really loves to play snooker, that´s the main point. You can´t say that with anyone on the tour.. Great great player Mark Marvellous Williams !!

I think Wenbo is a bit same, I really like watching him play ! A few years back Wenbo took on some really insane pots - I loved watching that but obviously it was a bit daft giving he won´t win against top players playing like that. But it was entertaining, you can´t deny that. Nowdays he seems to play safety shots also....

Postby SavoMilosevic

Williams is the reason why I watch snooker nowadays with Hendry being well past his best. Ding, Robertson, Selby, Murphy and the other young guns are truly fantastic players, but they are all like robots. And Mark... Mark has his own unique style. At his best his snooker is even more beautiful than Ronnie's in my opinion. He could have made a double last season, but maybe he was a little bit overconfident against Higgins, especially at the UK. I predict he will win at least one major this year. :)

Postby Roland

Funny you say that because one of the criticisms I heard 10 years ago about Williams was that he was "like a machine" and therefore boring. So glad he's getting a second wind and people are really starting to appreciate his game because back in the day it seemed like I was the only real fan. And boy am I a fan! The man is a snooker god!

I don't see the robots comparison with the other players you mentioned. And Ding in particular is an absolutely sensational snooker player. I've seen a lot of live snooker and witnessing him close up at the Crucible and from a far at the Masters was nothing short of breathtaking and some of the most memorable snooker I've ever seen. The guy is on another planet.

Postby GJ

robbo a robot

do you watch snooker

carter match in 2009 sand 2010 worlds

a real robot :? :wave:

Postby SavoMilosevic

Their cue action and shot selections are like taken from a snooker textbook. What I like about Mark is that I can always recognize his cue action even if i don't see his face - he is like Ronnie and Jimmy White, he plays with ease and elegance, it looks like he barely touches the cue ball and just rolls them in. Another thing which makes him a guy with his own style are his recovery shots. I love it when he loses control of the cue ball, starts shaking head and after a while pots something from nowhere.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Funny you say that because one of the criticisms I heard 10 years ago about Williams was that he was "like a machine" and therefore boring. So glad he's getting a second wind and people are really starting to appreciate his game because back in the day it seemed like I was the only real fan. And boy am I a fan! The man is a snooker god!

i think back in the day either Yorkshire people haven't got taste or your paranoid thinking everyone thought that of him.

never ever ever thought of Mark as a machine he was the yin to ronnies yan both talented as each other but one Mercurial and the other horizontal.

thats the first time ever ive herd of mark refereed to as a machine.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I guess on S4C they all loved him

i guess there is that <laugh>

im from wales i guess it does make a huge different rofl

but seriously looking in from outside how could anyone find mark boring

Postby Roland

I know but when he was winning everything people did.