Post a reply

Re: Secondary Tournament of the year!

Postby SnookerFan

Am I the only one who thinks they should bring back the Grand Prix? Not at the expense of the World Open, but as an extra tournament. You could argue there is little place to put it in an already packed calendar, but I think they'd found a niche with the random draw, non-group phase tournament. I missed it last year.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks they should bring back the Grand Prix? Not at the expense of the World Open, but as an extra tournament. You could argue there is little place to put it in an already packed calendar, but I think they'd found a niche with the random draw, non-group phase tournament. I missed it last year.

The World Open is random draw :spot on:

Postby Witz78

if the World Open is going to move around locations then its time WS aimed towards getting the Scottish Open, N.Ireland Trophy and Irish Open back permanently.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:The World Open is random draw :spot on:

Yeah, but it just didn't do it for me. At all. Hopefully I'll get more used to it next time, and it was just due to the fact that the tournament happened just after I moved back in with my parents which meant I had to limit beer consumption when at home, snack consumption when at home, and was too far away from any of my mates to go round and visit them spontaneously... But something about that week just didn't grip me at all. Nine days worth of best of fives was intolerably dull. I was quite surprised when I found other people had enjoyed it as much as they did.

Like I say though, I hope I get used to it. I'd be gutted if there was a ranking tournament I stopped watching through non-enjoyment.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah, but it just didn't do it for me. At all. Hopefully I'll get more used to it next time, and it was just due to the fact that the tournament happened just after I moved back in with my parents which meant I had to limit beer consumption when at home, snack consumption when at home, and was too far away from any of my mates to go round and visit them spontaneously... But something about that week just didn't grip me at all. Nine days worth of best of fives was intolerably dull. I was quite surprised when I found other people had enjoyed it as much as they did.

Like I say though, I hope I get used to it. I'd be gutted if there was a ranking tournament I stopped watching through non-enjoyment.

if i told you that when i was there i watched far more snooker than i did when i was at the Worlds what would that tell you :no:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:that you were allowed to drink in the arena?

well that wasnt the reason id initially thought of but looking back, yeh i did manage to sneak a fair bit in there actually rofl

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Frames on TV in World Open - 171
Frames on TV in Germany - 92

So if wild really wanted more and more, then he'd have been watching the World Open religiously and LAVVVIING IT :ahh:

i felt more short changed after 9 days of the WO than i did after 4 Days of Germany because matches was running their course in germany where as they stopped abruptly in the WO just as it got interesting.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

if i told you that when i was there i watched far more snooker than i did when i was at the Worlds what would that tell you :no:

it tells me your a bit simple and a bit thick if im honest.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

So if wild really wanted more and more, then he'd have been watching the World Open religiously and LAVVVIING IT :ahh:

i felt more short changed after 9 days of the WO than i did after 4 Days of Germany because matches was running their course in germany where as they stopped abruptly in the WO just as it got interesting.

Yeh, a massive TWO deciders in Germany out of 30 matches ...

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

still better quality and a 5-2 = 7 frames

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Funny how you are always telling us that it's tension, drama and deciders that get your juices flowing rather than quality :lol:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:i felt more short changed after 9 days of the WO than i did after 4 Days of Germany because matches was running their course in germany where as they stopped abruptly in the WO just as it got interesting.

Funny how you are always telling us that it's tension, drama and deciders that get your juices flowing rather than quality :lol:

thats just it i never ever felt at 2-2 it was a decider thats the god honest truth.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:if i told you that when i was there i watched far more snooker than i did when i was at the Worlds what would that tell you :no:

That you're a tit?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:if i told you that when i was there i watched far more snooker than i did when i was at the Worlds what would that tell you :no:

That you're a tit?

:spot on:

Postby SnookerFan

If anything, I see both sides to this. Like Wild, I enjoyed the best of nine, and layout of the German Open. But like the others, I felt that it was too short as a ranking event. It started, then it was over.

Can't we keep the German Masters as it is layout-wise, but maybe add a few days to the tournament. Maybe by bringing in more players, maybe holding the last round of qualifiers over to the televised stages for example. It'd add something different to the tournament as a whole. I think it would add something to the tournament. As long as it was kept to one tournament a year, I think it would give that tournament a unique identity and the Germans would like it as they don't seem fussed who plays as they just like good snooker. And it would allow the event to run for more then five days.

It still wouldn't allow for the majority of matches in the first couple of rounds not being televised, mind. :-( That really was the one big letdown of the German Masters.

Postby Wildey

why not bring over the top last 48 they did that in some venues a few years back.

they could easily stretch it to 7 days like the China events by doing that.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:why not bring over the top last 48 they did that in some venues a few years back.

It would certainly get round the fact that the tournament was too short, day-wise. Which it is. Also, I'd like a more traditional ranking event someway else in Germany. Say, the Dusseldorf Open, something like that. We get the magnificance of the one we have already, with a no-nonsense getting down to serious snooker action in another. I'm sure the German fan-base could handle two tournaments.

Postby randam05

Yup, most certainly the german masters. I enjoyed that event more than any other, apart from the WC obviously. It was better than the Masters and equal fun to the UK, apart from being on BBC and being a week long tournament.

But certainly the best other than the three majors.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:why not bring over the top last 48 they did that in some venues a few years back.

It would certainly get round the fact that the tournament was too short, day-wise. Which it is. Also, I'd like a more traditional ranking event someway else in Germany. Say, the Dusseldorf Open, something like that. We get the magnificance of the one we have already, with a no-nonsense getting down to serious snooker action in another. I'm sure the German fan-base could handle two tournaments.

its simple, get the German Masters down to 2 tables only and a week long and then it'd be a normal tournament.

bear in mind the Germans also have 3 or 4 of the PTC events and they already have more snooker than most places.

nothing against the Krauts but plenty of other places for snooker to go to too.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
its simple, get the German Masters down to 2 tables only and a week long and then it'd be a normal tournament.

bear in mind the Germans also have 3 or 4 of the PTC events and they already have more snooker than most places.

nothing against the Krauts but plenty of other places for snooker to go to too.

Fair point.

Postby Wildey

its hard to explain but the 5 table set up sort of added to the event the only thing id do differently is have a roving camera to check out the other 4 tables at the interval or even during the main table if there's a exciting frame happening.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:its hard to explain but the 5 table set up sort of added to the event the only thing id do differently is have a roving camera to check out the other 4 tables at the interval or even during the main table if there's a exciting frame happening.

i still fail to see how 5 tables can be better than 2. its really just a glorified PTC id say with lots of tables on the floor.

surely a longer tournament with less tables giving the fans more of a chance to see more of the games is better.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:its hard to explain but the 5 table set up sort of added to the event the only thing id do differently is have a roving camera to check out the other 4 tables at the interval or even during the main table if there's a exciting frame happening.

i still fail to see how 5 tables can be better than 2. its really just a glorified PTC id say with lots of tables on the floor.

surely a longer tournament with less tables giving the fans more of a chance to see more of the games is better.

Like I said, I made this point at the time. But the people who had live been were adamanent it added the event, rather then detracted from it, having that many tables.

You're point of how regular some of the people in attendance were, but I know Monique went, and she gets around something chronic watching snooker.