Post a reply

Re: How will Jimmy White fare next season?

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Alex Higgins most famous Quote after he lost even late 80s to early 90s "I Shall Return" Jimmy is a bit like that.

Tubber is Right Stephen Hendry knows the score.....he does think he can play to a high level but also knows he hasent got any consistancy to carry it on thats why he was honest when Hazel asked him after beating Perry "Can you win it" he said "no i cant".

same question to Jimmy "I Dont know why not" would have been the answer

its not long ago you were talking from your point of view and Hendrys that he could still win things and wouldnt do what Davis and White have done and play on, knowing they cant compete at the top level <doh>

As for Jimmy, hes an eternal optomist, its all bravado really, deep down of course he knows he cant compete but Jimmy, like Alex was is a bit of a child in a mans body and speaks from the heart, not the head at times. Just like he plays from the heart instead of the head at times too, but thats what adds to his appeal i guess, the vulnerability and naivety of him.

Everytime I heard the name Jimmy White, I honestly felt a little tinge of sadness and wondered what might have been, and what should have been.

Then I read his autobiography, and I really get the impression that while losing World Final after World Final hurt him, it didn't hurt him half as much as you'd have thought. Reading that book certainly changed my perception of White.

Postby Roland

Yeah whatever, I don't buy that. I just love the way he used to be as a snooker player. He's barely recognisable now to then. Now he runs out of position and gets frustrated when he's on 20 or 30 and he's still capable of those magic shots but the %age success rate is well down on what it was. I know I'm stating the obvious and I've said too much already on the matter. Thing is, I feel like I can speak with authority on the matter because in my life defining years as a kid I grew up worshipping the man and I can promise everyone who saw his 6 finals like I did, that there was no one single person on the planet who was more gutted than me the night he lost 18-17 to Hendry the day after Senna was killed. The two go hand in hand, Jimmy's loss was as bad as the premature end of a life of a world famous and prominent sportsman who was a household name globally.

So if anyone thinks I'm being harsh on any criticism of Jimmy, then bear that in mind. :santa:

Postby Wildey

if he did not believe he could win i think he would have gone but he is honest with how rubbish hes playing and not kidding people hes playing well enough to win because he clearly isnt.

after jimmy's World senior win last season Steve Davis said Jimmy playing as well as ever......look mate any fool with half a brain knows thats rubbish.

Postby Roland

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Alex Higgins most famous Quote after he lost even late 80s to early 90s "I Shall Return" Jimmy is a bit like that.

Tubber is Right Stephen Hendry knows the score.....he does think he can play to a high level but also knows he hasent got any consistancy to carry it on thats why he was honest when Hazel asked him after beating Perry "Can you win it" he said "no i cant".

same question to Jimmy "I Dont know why not" would have been the answer

its not long ago you were talking from your point of view and Hendrys that he could still win things and wouldnt do what Davis and White have done and play on, knowing they cant compete at the top level <doh>

As for Jimmy, hes an eternal optomist, its all bravado really, deep down of course he knows he cant compete but Jimmy, like Alex was is a bit of a child in a mans body and speaks from the heart, not the head at times. Just like he plays from the heart instead of the head at times too, but thats what adds to his appeal i guess, the vulnerability and naivety of him.

Everytime I heard the name Jimmy White, I honestly felt a little tinge of sadness and wondered what might have been, and what should have been.

Then I read his autobiography, and I really get the impression that while losing World Final after World Final hurt him, it didn't hurt him half as much as you'd have thought. Reading that book certainly changed my perception of White.

That book certainly opened my eyes and shattered a few perceptions. It's a great read, but ultimately helped me to stop feeling so sorry for him that's true. It was his own fault he didn't land a World Title because of his lifestyle.

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:if he did not believe he could win i think he would have gone but he is honest with how rubbish hes playing and not kidding people hes playing well enough to win because he clearly isnt.

after jimmy's World senior win last season Steve Davis said Jimmy playing as well as ever......look mate any fool with half a brain knows thats rubbish.

:bowdown:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:relegation for james white

from what?

hed need the season from hell next year to drop off, infact id almost say theres no chance in a million years of him dropping off.

Postby GJ

witz

didnt he have a shocker the seaosn just gone

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:relegation for james white

na i think hes turned the corner from that threat for the foreseeable future he should stay top 48 for a few years if he continues to play to the standard he was last season.

Postby Tubberlad

Wild, you could never be accused of being overly sentimental when it comes to the Great Jimmy White, and I commend you for that because I can't stand people shouting on someone like White ahead of a prmising young player.

But what exactly is your opinion of him as a player in his heyday?

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witz

didnt he have a shocker the seaosn just gone

<doh>

do you actually follow snooker apart from your bumboys Robbo, Stevens and Selty :limp:

he reched the venue stages in the World Open, UK Championship, Welsh Open and China Open.

How many other players from so far down the rankings managed that last season? The guys 49 for gods sake. After all his heartache in his career, he deserves credit just for playing on, let alone still winning matches.

He finished 43rd on the one year list last season and its a great springboard to head up the rankings, especially considering hed a terrible season the year before so has hardly any points to lose next season.

Oh and he finally won the World Championship :win:

Postby GJ

ddi he finish the seaosn higher or lower in the rankings that he started

yes or no

????????????????????

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Wild, you could never be accused of being overly sentimental when it comes to the Great Jimmy White, and I commend you for that because I can't stand people shouting on someone like White ahead of a prmising young player.

But what exactly is your opinion of him as a player in his heyday?

Exciting,Breathtaking and a bit sloppy.

1988 should have been his big Crucible year and he bommed i was as gutted as ive ever been he lost to Griffiths in the semis.

in 1990 and 1992 i was his supporter against Hendry in the final but the way hendry came back from the dead in that 92 final was the turning point for me and then i started supporting Stephen to this day..

jimmy white was no bottler and ive always maintained he took that black he missed to casual instead of concentrating to the end....Ian Doyle believes it was a Kick as he said on Pro Snooker Blog a few months back but it was no bottle job.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:ddi he finish the seaosn higher or lower in the rankings that he started

yes or no

????????????????????

YES he rose from 60th to 55th <ok> (should have been 52nd but he was deducted points for failing to play in China)

and the main reason he only rose 5 places despite a good season, was that he was defending a lot of points from the 08-09 season compared to those around him, but next season with few points to defend he should make good progress further up the rankings.

dunno why you hate the guy so much tbh :huh:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:ddi he finish the seaosn higher or lower in the rankings that he started

yes or no

????????????????????

Jimmy White started the season no 60 and finished no 55.

Postby Steve K

Jimmy seemed to thrive with all the new match playing opportunities that he had in the 10/11 season and it shows by him reaching the last 32 of the world open and the UK. Playing in the Legends matches and the premier league next season will also be a big asset for him, the more Snooker he plays the higher up in the rankings he will go I believe.

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm sure Jimmy's just enjoyin being around the circuit still and as long as he can stay in the top 64 he'll continue. He's knows he's played tosh on tv this year, but the Hendry game was a poor example as the pair dragged each other down.
The fellow has bundles of playing opportunities, he's making a decent living, playing more snooker than 99% of the players and having the time of his life. Would be nice to see him in the odd last 16, but just hope he can play snooker at a standard where he can carrying on enjoying himself.

Postby Wildey

i dont mind jimmy sticking around based on his own ability and achievements but no more Wild Cards.

wild cards should be used to promote the next generation.

Postby Casey

Wild wrote:i dont mind jimmy sticking around based on his own ability and achievements but no more Wild Cards.

wild cards should be used to promote the next generation.

It would have been much better to give the last PL wildcard to the highest ranked player not already in (Selby).

Postby Wildey

ive always thought it stupid using players thats hardly at the business end of tournaments to promote it.

all that bull having Jimmy in the Jungle helped promote snooker to the masses.

surely you need players that are actually winning tournaments and playing a lot on TV for that to be a benefit.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:ive always thought it stupid using players thats hardly at the business end of tournaments to promote it.

surely you need players that are actually winning tournaments and playing a lot on TV for that to be a benefit.

I'd argue that using charismatic ones that are at the start of tournaments would help in some way. If you tune in to watch a Jimmy match, you might enjoy it enough to watch other matches. It's all promotion.

On the other hand, the season he was in the Jungle he qualified for buck all other then a Jimmycard, so that wasn't too useful.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:ive always thought it stupid using players thats hardly at the business end of tournaments to promote it.

I'd argue that using charismatic ones that are at the start of tournaments would help in some way. If you tune in to watch a Jimmy match, you might enjoy it enough to watch other matches. It's all promotion.

On the other hand, the season he was in the Jungle he qualified for buck all other then a Jimmycard, so that wasn't too useful.

then at wembley the jungle cook and the merry men was at the Masters and jimmy had the kharistma of a wet weekend in blackpool and the form of a jellyfish.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:then at wembley the jungle cook and the merry men was at the Masters and jimmy had the kharistma of a wet weekend in blackpool and the form of a jellyfish.

I'm not saying his appearance on I'm A Celebrity saved the sport, Wild. I just said it would help in some way.

Postby gallantrabbit

Od course the jungle didn't save snooker, far from it. Barry Hearn did. BUT think back to those desperate times and Jimmy did someting to raise the profile a little in the jungle because this was pre-Hearn and the game was being Walker-manned and was in an awful old mess.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:then at wembley the jungle cook and the merry men was at the Masters and jimmy had the kharistma of a wet weekend in blackpool and the form of a jellyfish.

I'm not saying his appearance on I'm A Celebrity saved the sport, Wild. I just said it would help in some way.

i just think we need to rise the profile of younger players so they get the following Jimmy has.

Postby Monique

I think you can purposefully "raise" the profile of a player only to a certain level. The players who really become big draws do so because of two main factors in my opinion: the way they play - and that's different from how much they win - and their perceived personality. Regarding the second aspect, there are a few things that usually get the people interested in a sportsman (or an artist BTW).
- dreams and "daring" ... that's why the "bad boys" and "play boys" sell ;) - in a way it's like enjoying thinks they will never afford to do ... through someone else, including transgression.
- "relate" - people get attracted to the ones they somehow can relate to. That's why those who show they are "human", do and say daft things sometimes, are perceived as "working class" ... will fit that bill.
- "enigmas" ... surprise me please effect.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I think you can purposefully "raise" the profile of a player only to a certain level. The players who really become big draws do so because of two main factors in my opinion: the way they play - and that's different from how much they win - and their perceived personality. Regarding the second aspect, there are a few things that usually get the people interested in a sportsman (or an artist BTW).
- dreams and "daring" ... that's why the "bad boys" and "play boys" sell ;) - in a way it's like enjoying thinks they will never afford to do ... through someone else, including transgression.
- "relate" - people get attracted to the ones they somehow can relate to. That's why those who show they are "human", do and say daft things sometimes, are perceived as "working class" ... will fit that bill.
- "enigmas" ... surprise me please effect.

biggest problem today all the young players play a similar game where as in jimmys case in the 80s he was different.

persanality wise as a 20 something he was no different to jamie cope a shy player with no B game.