Post a reply

Re: Snooker Awards from The Dorchester !!!!!

Postby Tubberlad

If Iwere to go through the season:

Best Player: John Higgins, no argument. Whatever I think of him, he has been miles ahead of the opposition this year, World Champion, UK Champion & Welsh Open Champion... that's three ranking titles in only half a season. I'm not a fan of the way he plays the game, it's a bit like watching a very capable Italian football team, very capable, very worthy, very hard to break down but very little to get excited about. This game however is not judged on excitement.

Rookie of the year: Jack Lisowski, no doubt. Very impressive points haul, which was helped by the influx of new ranking event.

Best new innovation: I really like the new ranking system, it's a much fairer reflection of players' performances and where they are right now. It also rewards players who are serious and hardworking, Mark Williams and Mark Selby played in a huge ammount of tournaments and were rewarded for doing so.

Best tournament: Too many to pick from. The World Championship was a fine tournament though I'd have preferred to see Judd Trump take the title in the end. The German Masters was fantastic, The World Open was new and exciting, The China Open was quality of an immense standard and it must be said the Sky Shootout worked very well and is a great new initiative.

Worst tournament: Power Snooker. I feel sorry for it's creators, it was a genuine well-meant attempt at something new and exciting, though it was disjointed. Ultimately undone by the nasty atmosphere, and shown up by the Sky Shootout.

Performance of the Year: Judd Trump for his performances in April and May of this year. Immense, and great for snooker.

Magic moment: I'm surprised they went for Rory McLeod's fluke. Mark Allen's match with Matthew Stevens was no classic, and in truth bored me to death, but you had to appreciate how much it meant for him to win in front of his little girl.

Postby Steve K

Smart wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:
Sarah Mount wrote:
weewelshwitch wrote:Also the 147 Awards - all the 147s this season got a snazzy pair of cufflinks.
At the ceremony to receive theirs included On q Promotions' Barry Hawkins - well done Bazza

The drinking awards will be handed out next week when everyone has sobered up!

Here are said cufflinks :-)

Cufflinks Pic

and those are in a suitcase. They must be effing huge!

I wonder if Bazz awill wear those cufflinks when he is playing from now on. :chin:

More importantly will Rory McLeod wear his?

Postby SnookerFan

Steve K wrote:

He should. Just to annoy the punters who've brought tickets. "I can make one you know, I just choose to play this way." <laugh>

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
Steve K wrote:

He should. Just to annoy the punters who've brought tickets. "I can make one you know, I just choose to play this way." <laugh>

He would have but he wanted them in tartan