Post a reply

Re: Trump not destined to ever win the World Championships

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:Having read quite a few articles on this year's World Championship final I would have got the impression that the young Bristolian was nailed on to win multiple World Championship titles, if I didn't know better. However, believe it or not, Trump, even though only 21, may never get a better chance to win snooker's most coveted prize. Of course, it is also possible he may dominate the game and win 3, 4, or more, Crucible Championships.

Bookmakers rarely get things totally wrong, and I was curious to know what price Trump was to win the World Championships next year. He is a best priced 12/1 to win next year, and infact according to Bet365, less than likely to win before 2016(2/5), not to win by the conclusion of the 2015 Championships). Infact he is only even money not to win by the conclusion of the 2020 Championships.

The thing with snooker is that the World Championships only come along once a year, and there are usually 7 or 8 players more than capable of winning, and you only need one bad session to put you in real trouble.

As boring as it may seem, you may need to have best of 145 frame matches(like they had in the old days)to take away the element of luck. Trump, no doubt had bad running in the final, and but for a flick here and there, would have won the Championships.

Jimmy White would have been World Champion in 1982 if Alex Higgins had had an extra dose of vodka when 2 down with 3 to play.

It is by very small margins that titles are won and lost, and Trump may never be as relaxed and pressure free as he was coming into this year's Championship. He may have missed his best chance. It will depend on how tough he is mentally. Will he handle expectation well? There are many ponderables.

O'Sullivan was, according to many, a certainty to win 8 world titles after he won the 1993 UK Championships. It never happened. Trump may now have the same level expectation as O'Sullivan had back then. How will he handle it? I used to play professional tennis in my youth, and I will always remember what my first coach said to me, "The game at the top level is 70% mental, and 30% physical". Those who played at a dedicated level in any sport will understand that premise, even if they argue about the percentages.

Trump is great for the game. He is hopefully going to be an integral part of the game's development abroad. No one has brought as much excitement to the game.

He has the potential to become a great, but will he tow the line and play match winning snooker, rather than play the entertainment card?

The opposite argument will be that if he curbs his natural game that may cost him, and that brings me back to my point of, will he be able to ever play as free and expectation free as he did this year?

Yeah, I don't think he'll win it.