Post a reply

Re: Dennis Taylor - What is the point ?

Postby SnookerFan

Dennis Taylor, in his slight defence, is a product of the BBC.

Not going to come on here and pretend he's some super-good commentator, as I'd get lynched, but I think he's not the only crap one on the channel. The BBC basically push their own agenda. That the tournaments on other channels are less important. That snooker tournaments are a way of filling daytime TV schedules, rather than serious sporting events.

Eurosport commentators aren't perfect, and much like the BBC they regularly make factual inaccuracies. I've seen Eurosport many times say a ball is frame-ball, only to realise that they've done their sums incorrectly. Or refer to a match that happened a few years back, but are unable to remember exactly which tournament / year it happened in.

But at least they are admitting of their mistakes, unlike the BBC. When Eurosport refers to a Masters final in a previous year, but can't remember exactly which year it was, they admit it whilst somebody googles it on their phone. After a few seconds, they have the correct information. BBC can't even be bothered to do that. Remember when they thought that Maguire hadn't won a match at The Masters for several years, when he'd reached the semis the year before? They repeated their mistake several times, only for Hazel to eventually get corrected by the player himself. <doh>

Given the fact that the BBC have more resoruces than Eurosport, and are actually at the venue rather than in a studio in Twickenham, you wouldn't expect this sort of gaffe.

Eurosport will talk up each player, and at least do the courtesy of knowing a bit about each player they commentate on, even if they are amateurs playing in a PTC. BBC don't know players who haven't appeared on their channel before, even if that player has had several decent tournament runs.

A channel that basically doesn't care much about the sport they are showing, and just wants a way of filling day-time TV schedules, is going to produce commentators like Dennis Taylor. Commentators that don't know much about the modern game, and don't have any incentive to learn.

Eurosport aren't perfect, but it seems they care more and are trying harder than the BBC.

A shame, because I think it's important for the sport to remain on freeview. I'd like it to remain on the BBC, but for the BBC to put some effort into at least pretending they care about the sport.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I would suggest that we, i.e. members of this forum/proper snooker geeks do not make up the bulk of the BBC snooker audience and therefore we are not being catered too...

This is a fair point actually.

I have come across people who Virgo, Taylor et al are popular with.

People that enjoy snooker enough to watch a bit of it, but not enough to watch it all the time. These seem to be the people that enjoy the BBC muppets.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:Dennis Taylor, in his slight defence, is a product of the BBC.

Not going to come on here and pretend he's some super-good commentator, as I'd get lynched, but I think he's not the only crap one on the channel. The BBC basically push their own agenda. That the tournaments on other channels are less important. That snooker tournaments are a way of filling daytime TV schedules, rather than serious sporting events.

Eurosport commentators aren't perfect, and much like the BBC they regularly make factual inaccuracies. I've seen Eurosport many times say a ball is frame-ball, only to realise that they've done their sums incorrectly. Or refer to a match that happened a few years back, but are unable to remember exactly which tournament / year it happened in.

But at least they are admitting of their mistakes, unlike the BBC. When Eurosport refers to a Masters final in a previous year, but can't remember exactly which year it was, they admit it whilst somebody googles it on their phone. After a few seconds, they have the correct information. BBC can't even be bothered to do that. Remember when they thought that Maguire hadn't won a match at The Masters for several years, when he'd reached the semis the year before? They repeated their mistake several times, only for Hazel to eventually get corrected by the player himself. <doh>

Given the fact that the BBC have more resoruces than Eurosport, and are actually at the venue rather than in a studio in Twickenham, you wouldn't expect this sort of gaffe.

Eurosport will talk up each player, and at least do the courtesy of knowing a bit about each player they commentate on, even if they are amateurs playing in a PTC. BBC don't know players who haven't appeared on their channel before, even if that player has had several decent tournament runs.

A channel that basically doesn't care much about the sport they are showing, and just wants a way of filling day-time TV schedules, is going to produce commentators like Dennis Taylor. Commentators that don't know much about the modern game, and don't have any incentive to learn.

Eurosport aren't perfect, but it seems they care more and are trying harder than the BBC.

A shame, because I think it's important for the sport to remain on freeview. I'd like it to remain on the BBC, but for the BBC to put some effort into at least pretending they care about the sport.

Good post.

Dennis is a bit of a joke in the context of commentary, but in person a very nice bloke. Actually a whole world more charismatic and easier to be around than some 'stars' of the game. I think this makes me more accepting of him in the box.

Like SB says, he's like that old, worn pair of socks you can't bring yourself to throw away.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

If yous are complaining about the pundits now, what are yous gonna be like in 20 years time when the crap that's playing just now start commentating??

Postby Cloud Strife

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:If yous are complaining about the pundits now, what are yous gonna be like in 20 years time when the crap that's playing just now start commentating??

Yeah, imagine a commentary box duo of Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy. :td:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:If yous are complaining about the pundits now, what are yous gonna be like in 20 years time when the crap that's playing just now start commentating??

Yeah, imagine a commentary box duo of Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy. :td:

:sad: :td:

Postby LC

Dream team selby Murphy, in depth analysis on the tactical side of the game coupled with the thoughts on the on going mystery of the "kick"

Postby Cloud Strife

LC wrote:Dream team selby Murphy, in depth analysis on the tactical side of the game coupled with the thoughts on the on going mystery of the "kick"

Indeed.

On one the hand you'll have Murphy pontificating about kicks and whatever else is the 'hot topic' of the moment. On the other, you have Selby telling his two penny jokes, trying and failing lamely to live up to his 'jester' persona.

In fact, I can see Selby being the spiritual successor to Dennis Taylor. He has perfect personality for it, he's bland and inoffensive which would endear him to the grannies and live-at-home dads.

Postby Andre147

I have heard Parrot too mentioning Golf every now and then, but nowhere near as Taylor who says it every single match he commentates on.

He should be hired by Sky Sports to commentate on it if he loves it so much... can't be as clueless as he is with Snooker related stuff, can he? :roll:

Postby Holden Chinaski

LC wrote:Dream team selby Murphy, in depth analysis on the tactical side of the game coupled with the thoughts on the on going mystery of the "kick"

And Selby using the word "obviously" every five seconds..

Postby LC

Murphy like Dennis could constantly go on about his only world title win, where as mark playing the Davis role would be more relaxed after years as seen monotonous and boring would finally show why he earned the moniker the "jester"

Postby Iranu

"Believiddurrnot"

You know what, Dennis? I can believe it. Why? Because i'm looking at it on my bucking television screen. Believe it or not.

Postby 151kbar151

Dennis Taylor for me is the best current snooker commentator. I'm counting out Clive Everton since he is not on BBC anymore.

Postby PoolBoy

151kbar151 wrote:Dennis Taylor for me is the best current snooker commentator. I'm counting out Clive Everton since he is not on BBC anymore.

It's all about opinions!
I genuinely rate Dennis Taylor as the worst! :sad:

Postby PoolBoy

"...from this young man..."

"was a bit special"

"..all you want is one chance..."

"believe it or not"

"we used to look at them as mini sessions"

"He's took those well!"

"How's yer luck?"