Post a reply

Formats that I think should be tried out

Postby Tubberlad

1. The World Matchplay (major ranking tournament)

Format: Matches to be won by at least 2 frames, unless the maximum number of frames have been played. Two tables until quarter-finals. Early matches to begin at 11.30am, evening matches at 6pm (earlier starts needed in case of extra frames). First round until quarter-finals are best of 9 frames, with a maximum of 15 frames to be played). Breaks after the 5th and 10th frames. Semi-finals are best of 11, with a maximum of 17 to be played. Breaks after the 5th and 11th frames. Morning match begins at 12pm, evening match at 5.30pm. Final best of 17 frames, maximum 23 frames to be played. Morning session of 9 frames to take place from 11.30am. Evening session from 5.30pm.

2. International Open (ranking tournament)
A sets format, each set being best of 3 frames. Can operate on a similar timescale to the World Matchplay. First round until semi-finals: best of 5 sets (minimum 6 frames played, maximum 15). Final: best of 7 sets (minimum 8 frames played, maximum 21).

3. Double elimination (possible ranking event?)
Random draw every day. Matches over best of 9 frames. Can't play the same player two days running. Two losses and you're out. Matches between final two players are best of 11 if one or both players have lost no lives, best of 17 if both are on their final chance. Biggest problem with this format is the organistational headaches it could cause.

4. Shot clock championship (non-ranking)
First thing's first, I despise shot clock. I think it's diet snooker, but it was a lack of understanding when it came to pleasing all sectors of the snooker fanbase that cost Rodney Walker his job. The world's top 32 players, each match best of 13 frames until the semi-finals. Best of 17 final.

5. Grand Prix turned into an FA Cup style tournament (major ranking tournament)
64 players, random draw from the word go, no partitions. Best of 11 until quarter-finals, best of 17 semi-finals, best of 19 final.

6. UK Championship improved
Best of 17 for the first two rounds, best of 19 quarter-finals, best of 25 semi-finals, Best of 31 final. Simple. Brilliant.

7. World Sixreds (non-ranking)
The ONLY sixreds event on tour. 128 players (64 pofessional, 16 young players, 16 legends, 32 amateurs). I hate sixreds, but no harm to have one on tour.

8. European Open (ranking)
Different venue in Mainland Europe each season, be it Germany, Belgium, Russia, Holland, Portugal, wherever.

9. Ranking events all over the planet
Your average 32 player, best of 9 until quarters, best of 11 semi-final and best of 17 final tournaments brought around the World. Canadian Masters, Samba Open (Brazil), mainland Europe tournaments, Irish Masters, Savannah Open (South Africa), Macau Championship, Hong Kong Championship, Pacific Open (Australia). So much potential that needs to be unlocked.

Over to you, Barry.

Re: Formats that I think should be tried out

Postby SnookerFan

Some good ideas there. The Double Elimination may be hard to administrate as you say, and along with Double Elimination it might be difficult for casual fans to follow, and may take some getting used to. But nothing I would be against wathing.

They have a shot clock there for those that have been crying blue murder that the season needs one, but agree that it is non-ranking.

Grand Prix being completely random is a good idea. One I'd certainly enjoy watching. Though having sixty four people prove difficult television-wise, but if they could pull that off, certainly another one that'd be worth watching.

Some interesting ideas there, and I would add maybe at least one pro-am, 15-reds, non-ranker to be televised. I think it'd be interesting to see professional players go up against lesser known players from time to time.

But definately some ideas I'd watch there, that are new and interesting without keep banging on about shot clocks or six-reds in ranking tournaments.

Postby Tubberlad

Yeah, I agree. I don't like the sixreds or shot clock, I don't see any problems with the traditional game as it is. New formats in terms of tournament structure, yes. Changing the game itself, for ranking events at least, no.

Postby Roland

I personally don't have a problem with the odd 6 reds tournament. That is way more snooker than some of the other suggestions people have been banding around. It's essentially the same game with the same rules. That's the point.

Postby SnookerFan

Interesting re-reading this, some years on.

I still am gutted they never fully committed to a random draw Grand Prix. I really liked the year they did that, and it was much better than the shitty group stage tournament they tried. Twice. Pity we can't have a tournament like that. Doesn't fit in with Uncle Barry's plans of every tournament being a flat-128 or top-players only plan though.

They went the other way with the UK Championship. Instead of lengthening it, they bastardised it. Though my trip to York convinced me, it's a better tournament to visit than to watch on television. (There's so many matches they can't fit onto TV, it's nice to be able to chose what you watch.) Though, this was probably also true when the tournament was best-of-17.

They have got a shot-clock tournament now, of sorts. The Shoot-Out. Which I agreed at the time wouldn't bother me, as long as it wasn't ranking. I think I've made my feelings clear of Barry Hearn's idiotic decision on that score.

Much has changed since these suggestions were posted. But still, possibly some improvements could be made?

Postby Pink Ball

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Sets is a decent shout

At the time I said it wouldn't work but looking it's a really good idea.

Very good idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed before. It would be a good test of bottle, with deciding frames for each set.

It would probably need to be best of three sets up to the semi-final, but I see nothing wrong with best of seven for a final.

I don't think matchplay would be too great, or double-elimination, but sets could be a runner if it were suggested to the right people.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:An open draw tournament would be fantastic too.

That random draw Grand Prix the BBC did a few years ago was brilliant.

I don't know why they didn't persevere with that.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Sets is a decent shout

At the time I said it wouldn't work but looking it's a really good idea.

Very good idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed before. It would be a good test of bottle, with deciding frames for each set.

It would probably need to be best of three sets up to the semi-final, but I see nothing wrong with best of seven for a final.

I don't think matchplay would be too great, or double-elimination, but sets could be a runner if it were suggested to the right people.

Mini-sessions?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I don't really understand the sets idea, but that's because I'm a dullard.

Would it be like in tennis? (Another thing I don't understand, really.) :lol:

You mention tennis daily!! haha :-D

So does this forum. <laugh>

No, but it was relevant here. We're talking about sets. I'm trying to get my tiny brain around how it would work.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:I don't really understand the sets idea, but that's because I'm a dullard.

Would it be like in tennis? (Another thing I don't understand, really.) <laugh>

I think it might mean sets of first to 2 or three frames and then first to so many sets.

Not sure what it would add but I lack imagination

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I think it might mean sets of first to 2 or three frames and then first to so many sets.

I think you'd get more key frames. Instead of one deciding frame, you could (kind of) get three (if each set went to a deciding frame). I think it would a tough format, mentally. Matthew Stevens would hate it.

There's also the side of it that you could be in with a chance of winning a set and match, losing, then having to win two more frames rather than one.

I really think it's a good idea.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I think you'd get more key frames. Instead of one deciding frame, you could (kind of) get three (if each set went to a deciding frame). I think it would a tough format, mentally. Matthew Stevens would hate it.

There's also the side of it that you could be in with a chance of winning a set and match, losing, then having to win two more frames rather than one.

I really think it's a good idea.

I get it and I think it sounds a great idea.

I really like the idea of multiple mini-deciders

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:What actually is a set?

Don't understand it.

Usually at least two cups and saucers and a teapot.

A set is a "batch" of games in tennis. To oversimplify things: The first player to win 6 games wins a set. The score of games then resets and the next person to win 6 games wins the next set.

Imagine in snooker: the first person to win 3 frames wins the first "set". The score in terms of frames then resets to 0-0, with the first player winning by one set. In a best of three sets match, the first player to win two sets would win.

That probably wasn't helpful.

Postby Pink Ball

In this scenario, for matches up to and including semi-finals:
First player to win two sets wins the match. Each set if best of three frames.
That's a minimum of four and a maximum of nine frames. That's perfectly workable.

A final could be best of seven sets: minimum eight frames, a maximum of 21 frames. Also perfectly workable.

Seriously, someone suggest this to Hurn! I am far too lazy to do so.

Postby Alex0paul

I’d like to see a mixed game comp, best of 7 played over the formats of normal rules snooker, power snooker, blue ball shootout, drag shot, shootout rules, trick shots and fastest to clear colours game

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What actually is a set?

Don't understand it.

So if it was first to three sets, you would have to win three best of fives. Clearer?

Oh.

Sounds rubbish.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:In this scenario, for matches up to and including semi-finals:
That's a minimum of four and a maximum of nine frames. That's perfectly workable.

A final could be best of seven sets: minimum eight frames, a maximum of 21 frames. Also perfectly workable.

i suggested this to hearn 8 years ago he ignored me at the time but i thought in about 4 years he would have done this and passed it on as his own idea.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:In this scenario, for matches up to and including semi-finals:

i suggested this to hearn 8 years ago he ignored me at the time but i thought in about 4 years he would have done this and passed it on as his own idea.

So, basically he ignored you for eight years.

Postby Andre147

A format I would love to be brought back is World Doubles from the 80s...

I've seen many matches on YT of that and it seemed like a great tournament that I think would be sucessful today.

I think Ronnie played alongside MJW last season in some doubles event in China and they won it. Why not something like that in the UK?

Postby eraserhead

I'd quite like to see a thick/slow cloth event. I know tennis has different surfaces but I don't watch that so I don't know what surface makes a difference, but I've seen some players like Robbo say quick clothes aid in splitting the pack and evens out the break building.

It might be a nice way for the best of seven events to separate themselves in some way, as it looks like snooker in the UK will have short formats as a default for newer events.