Post a reply

Re: Ronnie is seeking help after considering WC withdrawal.

Postby jojo

you really are a clown monique you brought up the selby match not me so i dont see your point

ive seen on numerous occasions where ronnies brought up the quit threat stuff when the interviewer didnt ask him anything about it

i never mentioned anything about the selby match i wasnt there then you brought it up

i didnt say anything about ronnie offering excuses maybe someone else did but not me and where have i said ronnie is ungracious in defeat or is the most ungracious player in defeat ? i know lots of players can be so called ungracious in defeat and ronnie is no worse than them in this respect

try and read my posts properly before resorting to having a go at me

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

I think this is is a case of Ronnie guarding his back

Ding gets a £2000 fine for playing while suffering from a cold and all the omens are that Ronnie will not only not win the title but will be going out early doors

He really has run out of friends and Hearn's public comments that the game doesn't need him must have come as a shock to someone who has been behaving like a spoiled brat for longet than I care to remember

If Ronnie is going to retire for good he should bloody get on with it

Postby Snooker Overdrive

jojo wrote:you really are a clown monique you brought up the selby match not me so i dont see your point

ive seen on numerous occasions where ronnies brought up the quit threat stuff when the interviewer didnt ask him anything about it

i never mentioned anything about the selby match i wasnt there then you brought it up

i didnt say anything about ronnie offering excuses maybe someone else did but not me and where have i said ronnie is ungracious in defeat or is the most ungracious player in defeat ? i know lots of players can be so called ungracious in defeat and ronnie is no worse than them in this respect

try and read my posts properly before resorting to having a go at me

Jojo, you should leave it before it gets really ugly here.

Postby jojo

i dont spout rubbish about other posters i got no problems with monique pal i really repsect the work she does but she shouldnt bring things up that i wasnt talking about ie the selby match and also bring up other things that i didnt say

Postby onlyevertonjon

Of course Stephen Hendry never come out in press conference and belittled his own performance to stress why someone beat him. Ronnie getting beaten is nothing new, but something has changed. Dale wouldnt have had a prayer two years ago in this match but now its a toss up, whats changed...Ronnie! When favourites dont win, people always look to that as to why. It happens in most sports.

If Ronnie feels this way, then he should quit for his own good. His fans will always have a case in the argument that there has never been a better player than him, there is nothing left to prove and if there is no enjoyment to play for.

If you think its pubicilty seeking then go and read Andre Agassi's book. The guy despised tennis and threatened to quit numerous times but kept playing longer than any of his age group out of fear. I sense a lot of that in sportsmen who are approaching retirement because they have never known anything else.

Postby Monique

Jojo I've never said that you brought it up. It's you who should read carefully. I brought it up as an example of an occurence when the press raised hell about something ROS had not said and one I'm 100% certain about because I was there. A lot of fans judge the man only by what the press reports and what the press reports isn't necessarily true, or put in the right context. But it sells, that's all what matters to them. That was my point.

Postby PLtheRef

Having read all the posts here I do think some people need to calm down and avoid making claims of what the others have said - everyone has an opinion and it can be partly to Ronnie's testament that when he is the topic of conversation all posters will passionately defend their view.

This is mine, and its a neutrals opinion about the story.

I dont think that this does Ronnie any favours, withdrawing even if he reneges on the decision to withdraw, it will certainly irk the management (Barry and Rodney are two different styles, as we've seen already this year) as well as the fans who do pay good money to think that he'll withdraw from tournaments at short notice, its been seen several times he's pulled out, and even when and if problems are genuine courtesy will go a long way in eliciting sympathy both from us and the board. I was told by somebody on Saturday at the legends evening that apparently Ronnie's back was worse than it has been all season, and yet bemusingly he was fit to go all the way over to China to compete when his back is in worse nick than it ever has before.

The problem with Ronnie is that its similar to the boy who cried wolf - he does it several times and thus when its genuine people have little or no sympathy

Postby jojo

i know what the press are about and in all fairness i always take what the press say with a pinch of salt yes i know i wasnt there after the selby match and going by what you saying in that particular instance it was the press digging into him

however on numerous occasions ive lost count over the years how many times ronnie has brought up the quit issue stuff without the press asking him about it that what i was referring to not the selby match

going back to the selby incident do you honestly think the press would have asked either higgins or williams about quitting had they lost that match instead of ronnie ? no and why ? because higgins or williams never mention about quitting and being bored with the game every two minutes like ronnie does

Postby jojo

difference is they saying he rung back on friday when on thursday they asked for him to confirm in writing that he wanted to withdraw and thats slightly different to the original post which says they talked him out of withdrawing on the monday

if the bbc story is to be believed then it a bit like calling ronnies bluff it appears they never tried to talk him out of withdrawing they just said ok you have to put it in writing then he called back on the friday saying no i dont want to withdraw after all

dont know which story to believe to be honest but one way or another just wish ronnie would start competing properly knuckle down and not keep harping on about the quit thoughts and saying hes bored with the game every two minutes

it really does devalue the game of snooker for the paying public

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:dont know which story to believe to be honest but one way or another just wish ronnie would start competing properly knuckle down and not keep harping on about the quit thoughts and saying hes bored with the game every two minutes

it really does devalue the game of snooker for the paying public

That last bit I do agree with. I know it's Ronnie's mindset to go from being incredibly positive to being super self-critical in an instant, but threatening to leave the game all the time doesn't help anybody.

If he's got a genuine problem, of course he should seek help. It just gets annoying listening to his attempts at setting world records for the amount of times you can quit the same job. It's not doing him, the sport or the fans any favours.

Postby The Cueist

Leopards cant change their spots.That said he needs to grow up and i say this as i am becoming fed up with him myself as i used to be a real fan of his, Now my loyalty is wavering due to his at times,Immature petulance which is a bit boy like.

Act like a man Ronnie,FFS.

Postby Smart

The Cueist wrote:Leopards cant change their spots.That said he needs to grow up and i say this as i am becoming fed up with him myself as i used to be a real fan of his, Now my loyalty is wavering due to his at times,Immature petulance which is a bit boy like.

<ok> :win:

Postby Wildey

The Cueist wrote:Leopards cant change their spots.That said he needs to grow up and i say this as i am becoming fed up with him myself as i used to be a real fan of his, Now my loyalty is wavering due to his at times,Immature petulance which is a bit boy like.

thats the whole point genuine fans are getting fed up of it all now.

its like the bloody hokey cokey <laugh>

Postby likelylad

You could adress Barry Hearn here. In an interview with the BBC a couple of days ago, he stated he likes the controversary about O'sullivan, threatening to retire etc. Hearne stated its publicity and it sells well, its good for snooker. I wonder wether O'sullivan has pointed this out to Hearne he does not agree with Hearne's statement. If not its an orchestrated publicity stunt and we have all being taken the mickey.

Monique wrote:Last year at the Crucible, after he lost to Selby, the first thing Ronnie said was that he didn't want to talk about this or other private issues, and the first question he had was precisely about it. That's what the press want to hear because it sells. Get real.

Postby Smart

likelylad wrote:You could adress Barry Hearn here. In an interview with the BBC a couple of days ago, he stated he likes the controversary about O'sullivan, threatening to retire etc. Hearne stated its publicity and it sells well, its good for snooker. I wonder wether O'sullivan has pointed this out to Hearne he does not agree with Hearne's statement. If not its an orchestrated publicity stunt and we have all being taken the mickey.

Monique wrote:Last year at the Crucible, after he lost to Selby, the first thing Ronnie said was that he didn't want to talk about this or other private issues, and the first question he had was precisely about it. That's what the press want to hear because it sells. Get real.

old news now :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby The Cueist

Wild wrote:

thats the whole point genuine fans are getting fed up of it all now.

its like the bloody hokey cokey <laugh>

wild <laugh> What half of that fave old dance are we getting at,The former or the latter. ;-)

If you see what i mean. :evilgrin:

Your right what you say though,His fans including myself are getting fed up with the antics. :spot on:

He needs to learn that perfection in every match is unnatainable every time in every match,Imo.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:Jojo I've never said that you brought it up. It's you who should read carefully. I brought it up as an example of an occurence when the press raised hell about something ROS had not said and one I'm 100% certain about because I was there. A lot of fans judge the man only by what the press reports and what the press reports isn't necessarily true, or put in the right context. But it sells, that's all what matters to them. That was my point.

I am sure you could raise the points you make with the journalists.

I am sure they would listen :hmmm:

Postby Monique

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Monique wrote:Jojo I've never said that you brought it up. It's you who should read carefully. I brought it up as an example of an occurence when the press raised hell about something ROS had not said and one I'm 100% certain about because I was there. A lot of fans judge the man only by what the press reports and what the press reports isn't necessarily true, or put in the right context. But it sells, that's all what matters to them. That was my point.

I am sure you could raise the points you make with the journalists.

I am sure they would listen :hmmm:

I'm very sure of that too ... I promised to Hector Nunn to get him a T-shirt with a big smilie stirring a big pot and an "I stirr it!" quote if I can find a shop here in Sheffield. He laughed. Didn't deny it ... I like Hector.