Post a reply

Attacking or Negative ??

Attacking
43%
Negative
57%

Total votes : 7

Re: Mark Selby.... Attacking or Negative Safeties !!!

Postby Bourne

Now he doesn’t open the pack from a safety shot, he’ll clip reds and play a lot of negative safeties similar to Mark Selby. But they both seem to be tagged as being attacking when they’re not.

RC: So you see Mark Selby as a negative player?

GD: (laughs) I think without any shadow of a doubt! I think THE most!

RC: You’re talking to a Mark Selby fan here! (laughs)

GD: I think Mark Selby is a phenomenal player. But he’s definitely the most negative player in the top 16.

Wild :wave:

Postby Wildey

Dott is talking through his ass like a lot of things hes actually said...

Watch this space when i dissect to pieces the interview later <ok>

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:Wild m8, why so confrontational?. Its a discussion forum, so discuss.

dont take what i say to heart i know you a fan of dott....im a fan of dott i think over the years if ever theres a player thats been underestimated by people its him and to come on to the scene as a world champion and 3 World Finals in 7 years talks volume about him as a player.

regarding this subject players see things differently because they want to come to a table with a potting chance so when a player like selby doesn't give them that chance they see it as negative which is the wrong way to look at it.

attacking safety shot is to try and create a mistake from a safety and not open the reds in the HOPE to get cover that's virtually hit and hope.

Postby Roland

I've just read the last page or so and I am firmly behind Wild on this (apart from the bit about Dotty talking through his bottom!). Maybe because I'm a fan I'm blinded but it does seem to me that Selby plays a hell of a lot of inventive, out of the box thinking positive safety shots in order to put the opponent in more difficulty than the standard safety shots would. The fact he is so good at safety means a lot of times the opponent will come to the table with only a 3 cushion dead weight roll up to get out of trouble.

And the fact when you play him you find yourself having to play these sorts of shots means you get frustrated and think he's negative because he stops you playing your own game because you want to get at those reds but he doesn't let you.

So I'm interested to see your montage snooky and I will look at it with an open mind. I've studied his game for years though and the reason I'm such a fan is because I'm a fan of his game. He's a one off, there's never been anyone like him. And he has the added factor of being the only pool style snooker player I've seen.

Postby Wildey

what you got to remember with me i do use words more than smileys to relay my emotion nothing personal its just how i was feeling about this subject. having read the interview i think Graeme would tell me i talk through my ass as well he seems that straight talking guy.