Post a reply

Re: vintage jimmy winning 1986 grand prix

Postby Wildey

Question

what has the likes of Murphy,Ding,Robbo and Selby got to do to reach legendary status.

for example Jimmy on the list with 0 WC and 1 UK

what im obviously getting at is already Ding won more Majors than Jimmy.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Question

what has the likes of Murphy,Ding,Robbo and Selby got to do to reach legendary status.

Legends are legends for different reasons.

Some are there for achievments.

Others are there like Jimmy and Alex for their breathtaking style of play, mass public popularity and memorable stories from their careers and lives.

A list of legends is totally different to an overall order of merit / GOAT list based on titles won <ok>

Postby jojo

thats a difficult one to answer because non of those players play with the speed style and flamboyance as jimmy did even though they all top in their own way jimmy was a standout player i rememebr occasions where he would win four frames in just over 20 minutes included along the way exhibition shots that defied belief

the natural flair and genius helped though most rate alex higgins and ronnie as having more genius i agree with that

i think for any of those players to better jimmys achievements they have to better his ten ranking wins and win the worlds uk and masters

Postby jojo

four world semis and six world finals that in itself is incredible irrespective of what era he came from when you think most players are lucky to play in the one table set up at the crucible jimmys done it twelve times that in itself is a feat

i remember in the old days all the girls fancied him that in itself was one of the reasons why a lot of people followed him and all the old women the grannies adored him it was quite funny

Postby Wildey

i just dont think winning 3 even 4 WC is enough without backing it up with many other tournaments.

Joe Davis is the Guy who controlled Snooker Lock stock and Barrell that gave it Life.

Alex Higgins the Guy that Gave the Sport Excitement and Vibrancy that made TV Take Notice

Steve Davis the guy that gave the sport the Work ethic and professionalism.

Thoes 3 are easily the Greatest Snooker Legends..

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:four world semis and six world finals that in itself is incredible irrespective of what era he came from when you think most players are lucky to play in the one table set up at the crucible jimmys done it twelve times that in itself is a feat

i remember in the old days all the girls fancied him that in itself was one of the reasons why a lot of people followed him and all the old women the grannies adored him it was quite funny

5 quarters too

and infact an amazing FIFTY matches won at the Crucible (enough to win the title 10 times over :-( )

yeh all the old grannies loved him, thats one thing i always remember from the 80s

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i just dont think winning 3 even 4 WC is enough without backing it up with many other tournaments.

Joe Davis is the Guy who controlled Snooker Lock stock and Barrell that gave it Life.

Alex Higgins the Guy that Gave the Sport Excitement and Vibrancy that made TV Take Notice

Steve Davis the guy that gave the sport the Work ethic and professionalism.

Thoes 3 are easily the Greatest Snooker Legends..

with possibly Quinten Hann and Seifer alongside them :win:

Postby jojo

and if you ask the nineties generation who they idolised and why they took up the game im talking about people like hendry ebdon doherty hunter stevens ronnie williams higgins and the like they all say jimmy what was their idol

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:Question

what im obviously getting at is already Ding won more Majors than Jimmy.

Alex Higgins has only got five majors. He is unquestionably one of the absolute legends of snooker.

Being a legend needn't have anything to do with winning.

And to be honest, he is comfortably better than any of the aforementioned right now. Will any of them make ten semi-finals? I seriously doubt it.

Postby jojo

tubberlad to be honest i dont really like comparing ranking tournament wins from players of yesteryear very few tournaments were classed as ranking tournaments in the 70s and 80s that since became ranking tournaments in the 90s onwards

for example even the uk championship didnt gain ranking status until 1983 and steve davis would be on 37 or 38 ranking wins if you include all the top titles he won in the eighties that werent classed as ranking titles during that time but were from the nineties onwards

Postby Tubberlad

Jojo, Im referring to Alex's major wins, as in World, UK and Masters, not his ranking titles. Technically, Alex only actually won one ranking tournament, but we all know that's a bull figure.

Postby jojo

i see what you mean pal but that still an impressive figure only davis hendry reardon ronnie williams and higgins the parakeet one have more from the last 40 years or so

Postby Tubberlad

jojo wrote:i see what you mean pal but that still an impressive figure only davis hendry reardon ronnie williams and higgins the parakeet one have more from the last 40 years or so

absolutely. A true legend of the baize...

Postby Sickpotter

GJ wrote:
Sonny wrote:He loves the game so much which is why he's still playing and you can't take that away from him. But for me personally the last 15 years have tarnished what he was about. Watching him now, you've no way of telling just how exciting and enthralling and bloody good he once was.

i never watched him play in his prime i can only judge on what i see these days

and thats not a lot from jimbo <ok>

Find old Jimmy matches, anything 85-95 and you'll understand why he's a legend.

For the record I think Jimmy has played the two greatest shots I've even seen.

One was against Hendry, 34 behind 35 on. Hendry played a tricky safety that left Jimmy chinese snookered over the yellow with the final red about 1.5 feet out of the bottom right pocket. Jimmy jacked up his cue and dead weighted the shot to hold for the black and then cleared to pinch the frame. I still remember the expression on Hendry's face when he dropped that shot in....pure shock and awe :bowdown:

The other was against Ronnie, no one else could pull this off :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZndIrYUE0

Postby Witz78

the true last hurrah of this pair as double act playing top drawer stuff

if you havent seen this classic match, youve missed out ,it might be 9 ball but its awesome drama with this pair