Post a reply

Re: Journeymen...

Postby GJ

selty has just turned 26 and sonny said he was a journeyman

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:To call someone under the age of 25, who is performing consistently well, in what is no longer a young man's sport, a journeyman is beyond just plain ignorant :huh2:

Mate in nobodys language 1 Quarter final in a career is not performing well at bucking all what planet are you bucking on ?

are we going to nurse made players for ever or eventually he will have to god forbid reach a 2nd :eek: :eek: Quarter Final.

Postby Roland

Look at golf - you have so many tournaments around the world and so many different winners and a lot of those winners never break inside the top 100. What is a golf journeyman? Someone ranked 300+?

In snooker if you didn't have "journeymen" there would only be 20 players on tour. So in short those journeymen are bloody good players because they are inside the best 100 players in the world (officially).

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:selty has just turned 26 and sonny said he was a journeyman

when the buck did I say that?

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:
GJ wrote:selty has just turned 26 and sonny said he was a journeyman

when the buck did I say that?

the other day i was slagging off journeyman players and you mentioned selty in that bracket

perhaps it was tounge in cheek though ;) :evilgrin:

Postby Roland

Show me because I know I didn't

Postby Roland

silence... <cool>

anyway here's one for you to argue over amongst yourselves:

Who is the greatest journeyman snooker player of all time?

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:silence... <cool>

anyway here's one for you to argue over amongst yourselves:

Who is the greatest journeyman snooker player of all time?

Daniel Burke.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:To call someone under the age of 25, who is performing consistently well, in what is no longer a young man's sport, a journeyman is beyond just plain ignorant :huh2:

Mate in nobodys language 1 Quarter final in a career is not performing well at intercoursing all what planet are you intercoursing on ?

are we going to nurse made players for ever or eventually he will have to god forbid reach a 2nd :eek: :eek: Quarter Final.

Wild how many times do his season and career achievements to date have to be posted before it gets implanted in your bald cranium ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Mate in nobodys language 1 Quarter final in a career is not performing well at intercoursing all what planet are you intercoursing on ?

Wild how many times do his season and career achievements to date have to be posted before it gets implanted in your bald cranium ?

dont you think he should have done a hell of a lot better than he has ?

in that time since his last Quarter finals journeymen have had better runs in tournaments than him. so when will he become a journeyman then maybe he too will start to get somewhere.

Postby Bourne

Marcus Campbell has won more tournaments in the time that O'Sullivan has since his last one, does that make him a 'jerneyman' as well ? <doh>

You're being a bit of a fantasist to even entertain the possibility that JT won't make a QF in the next 3 and a half years if I may say so <doh>

Postby GJ

coment edited i saw it on sunday nice one

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:coment edited i saw it on sunday nice one

:no:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Marcus Campbell has won more tournaments in the time that O'Sullivan has since his last one, does that make him a 'jerneyman' as well ? <doh>

You're being a bit of a fantasist to even entertain the possibility that JT won't make a QF in the next 3 and a half years if I may say so <doh>

question was how long do we give him to turn from a "wonder kid" to a journeyman.... every player has to show it talk is cheap you can call anyone a wander kid just because they young but there comes a time talking stops and starts to put it in to practice.

every journeyman known to man has started life with the same goals trump has and not made it.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Marcus Campbell has won more tournaments in the time that O'Sullivan has since his last one, does that make him a 'jerneyman' as well ? <doh>

question was how long do we give him to turn from a "wonder kid" to a journeyman.... every player has to show it talk is cheap you can call anyone a wander kid just because they young but there comes a time talking stops and starts to put it in to practice.

every journeyman known to man has started life with the same goals trump has and not made it.

I don't know but it sure isn't 21 years of age. Liu is only a year younger and has achieved lightyears less, pick on him :roll:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

I don't know but it sure isn't 21 years of age. Liu is only a year younger and has achieved lightyears less, pick on him :roll:

agree Judd Trump is no journeyman <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Sorry, it is ridiculous to call Judd Trump a journeyman. If he has still done nothing in ten years time, then yes, but that is HUGELY unlikely.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Sorry, it is ridiculous to call Judd Trump a journeyman. If he has still done nothing in ten years time, then yes, but that is HUGELY unlikely.

why is that unlikely ?

every 17,18,19,20 year old starts out to be the best then they wake up one morning labeled a journeyman.

serious question how long on tour or how old you are before you cross that line from being a promising youngster to a journeyman if you dont get the success .......players cant go on forever being young talents.

at the moment judd is the right side of that line but time comes when you got to start to deliver on that promise.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Sorry, it is ridiculous to call Judd Trump a journeyman. If he has still done nothing in ten years time, then yes, but that is HUGELY unlikely.

why is that unlikely ?

every 17,18,19,20 year old starts out to be the best then they wake up one morning labeled a journeyman.

serious question how long on tour or how old you are before you cross that line from being a promising youngster to a journeyman if you dont get the success .......players cant go on forever being young talents.

at the moment judd is the right side of that line but time comes when you got to start to deliver on that promise.

so Neil Robertson would have been a journeyman before he suddenly sparked into life in his mid 20s and rose up the rankings and started winning titles. :huh2:

Postby Bourne

Write off these talented wunderkids at your peril wild <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

why is that unlikely ?

so Neil Robertson would have been a journeyman before he suddenly sparked into life in his mid 20s and rose up the rankings and started winning titles. :huh2:

at 29 without a Ranking Title yes Robbo would be labled a journeyman.

he has done it his place in history is secured Trump,Wenbo has to do that if they do it at a certain age then they wont be journeymen.

just for arguament sake Jamie Burnett wins a World Title this year he has been labeled a journeyman for ever my point is i hate that term because EVERYONE Trying their best to do it and win tournaments least of all to put food on the table so Burnett been Labled a Journeymen since his mid 20s so how long do we give players before they called journeymen ?

buck sakes.

Postby Wildey

another scenario

ive herd Dave Harold called a Journeyman with a Ranking Tournament and another 2 WR Finals so is Tony Drago a Journeyman ?

or the term is only used on slow players because of double standards.

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:another scenario

ive herd Dave Harold called a Journeyman with a Ranking Tournament and another 2 WR Finals so is Tony Drago a Journeyman ?

Both are journeymen in my opinion...

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:

Both are journeymen in my opinion...

but i agree if you use the term or not both are very equal speed of play isnt a issue.

Postby Witz78

Who claimed Tony wasnt a journeyman?

He is that without a doubt but he plays the game in a different way to the bulk of the journeymen with their slow, cautious, negative, methodical, grinding tactics.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

why is that unlikely ?

at 29 without a Ranking Title yes Robbo would be labled a journeyman.

he has done it his place in history is secured Trump,Wenbo has to do that if they do it at a certain age then they wont be journeymen.

just for arguament sake Jamie Burnett wins a World Title this year he has been labeled a journeyman for ever my point is i hate that term because EVERYONE Trying their best to do it and win tournaments least of all to put food on the table so Burnett been Labled a Journeymen since his mid 20s so how long do we give players before they called journeymen ?

buck sakes.

So when Robertson was 23 and wasnt in the top 16 he was a journeyman?

and when he was 24 and a half and still hadnt won a ranking event he was a journeyman at that point?

Postby Wildey

no but he was approaching it or was he ? my question is if people would put their bucking brains in gear is.

how long at the level he is now do you think is acceptable before he will have to step it up ?

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:no but he was approaching it or was he ? my question is if people would put their bucking brains in gear is.

how long at the level he is now do you think is acceptable before he will have to step it up ?

In Trumps case he stalled at the top 32 level last year but had made steady progress this season laying the foundations to get into the top 16 at the end of this season (which i fully expect and demand him to do :wild2: ) and from there he will kick on next season and become a regular fixture in the latter stages of tournaments having just turned 22. <ok>

Look at the current top 16 anyway, people like Selby, Fu, Carter, Robbo fall into the category Trumps is currently seen as being in.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:no but he was approaching it or was he ? my question is if people would put their bucking brains in gear is.

In Trumps case he stalled at the top 32 level last year but had made steady progress this season laying the foundations to get into the top 16 at the end of this season (which i fully expect and demand him to do :wild2: ) and from there he will kick on next season and become a regular fixture in the latter stages of tournaments having just turned 22. <ok>

Look at the current top 16 anyway, people like Selby, Fu, Carter, Robbo fall into the category Trumps is currently seen as being in.

but Selby and Fu did reach Ranking finals as teenagers beating a string of good players on the way.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

but Selby and Fu did reach Ranking finals as teenagers beating a string of good players on the way.

so i guess after that they fell into the category that Cope currently finds himself in then <ok>