Post a reply

GOAT Debate

Postby Caledonian Craig

As some of you will know I posted up a points table last week made up of stats for fun to try to decide who is GOAT. it was enjoyed by some and criticised and lambasted by others with criticism on the scoring system I used. I have worked out a new table with Neil Robertson factored in (for GJ's benefit) and added some new stats on. I have changed the scoring system to thus:-

A World title = 5 points
Runner-up in World Final = 3 points
World Semi-Finalist = 1 point

UK Title = 4 points
Runner up in UK = 2 points
UK Semi-Finalist = 1 point

Masters Title = 4 points
Masters Runner up = 2 points
Masters Semi-Final = 1 points

A point to be awarded for each year the player has spent as World No.1

Added in average titles won per year of their professional career.

Added in success rate in matches at The Crucible.

Also a point to be awarded for every ranking title won.

Thoughts?

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

:zzz:

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote::zzz:


Sonny. The Greatest Mod of All Time. :bowdown:

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

No go for it Caledonian, I've been on snooker forums too long.

I'll tell you how all lists end up though:

Hendry
Davis
O'Sullivan / Higgins
Williams
Reardon
Spencer/white/a Higgins
Doherty/ebdon/parrott

Etc etc

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Wildey

Caledonian

seriously mate nothing against you but from experience these types of debates does tend to go round in circles depending on who you support we seen it a hell of a lot over the years descending in to pointless arguments.

dont take it personally <ok>

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Rocket_ron

your would get a fairer debate here, unlike 606 where bruceleefan gets agressive and abusive against you

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Witz78

Rocket_ron wrote:your would get a fairer debate here, unlike 606 where bruceleefan gets agressive and abusive against you


606 hater :wild2:

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby SnookerFan

Gerard Greene and Dominic Dale are the top two for me.

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Caledonian Craig

Wild wrote:Caledonian

seriously mate nothing against you but from experience these types of debates does tend to go round in circles depending on who you support we seen it a hell of a lot over the years descending in to pointless arguments.

dont take it personally <ok>


No offence taken. I realise these sort of debates aren't everybody's cup of tea and won't settle things. People will take/or leave the results depending on how it rates their favourite player. I suppose it is a closed debate in any case as snooker stats however you look at them will always place Stephen Hendry tops and as we know that won't go down well with others.

Since there is no real appetite for it I will give it a miss as I amn't looking to offend anyone.

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Tubberlad

You're a very good knowledgable poster so don't take offence. It's just these debates have really been done to death, and everyone has their own criteria. Something like this is subjective...

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:Gerard Greene and Dominic Dale are the top two for me.


I like those two players a lot <ok>

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

I may have kick started something a few years ago when I compiled a list based solely on the majors (WC, UK, Masters) and giving points based on winner/runner up in each (think it was 5 points for world title down to 0.5 for Masters final). Fast forward and a load of different lists have appeared from everywhere with different points structures and factoring in centuries and other tournaments and stuff like that.

I only did it because I wondered what it would look like and to be fair, it was pretty accurate in terms of seeing the names of yesteryear next to more recent players listed in order of greatness. There was no bias on my part, I came up with the system and then set to work on compiling it having no clue what the end result would look like. Hendry was miles ahead as you'd expect. Maybe I will resurrect and update it if I can find it somewhere. Think it was 2007 I last updated it :)

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Bourne

OK i've thought long and hard about this and I have come to a conclusion, my next post in 5 minutes will reveal my choice for who I believe to be the GOAT.

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Bourne

The GOAT is ...

Image

<ok> :wave:

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

that goat gets my vote <ok>

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Caledonian Craig

I do think that whatever stats, facts etc you filter in (mines included nearly everything I could think of to add in) Stephen Hendry ends up top and there are people that just can't accept that. It is their perrogative of course but debates will always rage on I suppose.

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

Only in certain quarters by let's face it, one obsessed individual and no one else.

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Rocket_ron

Caledonian Craig wrote:I do think that whatever stats, facts etc you filter in (mines included nearly everything I could think of to add in) Stephen Hendry ends up top and there are people that just can't accept that. It is their perrogative of course but debates will always rage on I suppose.

like you say craig, no matter how you do the maths stephen hendry comes out on top everytime - FACT

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

goats are cool

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:goats are cool

I second that <ok>

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

The only time they aren't funny is when you're the one they're headbutting. But they are among the cutest animals on this planet

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Wildey



Awwwww

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Tubberlad

I think it's nice to see goats finally getting some long overdue recognition. Kudos to you Craig, kudos indeed.

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby Roland

I hate labradors and that's off topic

Re: GOAT Debate

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I hate labradors and that's off topic


This is a picture of your face. :bum: