Post a reply

Who's the greatest?

Graeme Dott
76%
Matthew Stevens
24%

Total votes : 17

Re: Who's the greatest - Matthew Stevens or Graeme Dott?

Postby GJ

Caledonian Craig wrote:People tend to get sucked in by natural talent too much. I'd say Stevens was more naturally talented by Graeme Dott is much the better all-round match player. If you had one of these players to play for your life you'd choose - Graeme Dott.

:?

Postby Bourne

Caledonian Craig wrote:People tend to get sucked in by natural talent too much. I'd say Stevens was more naturally talented by Graeme Dott is much the better all-round match player. If you had one of these players to play for your life you'd choose - Graeme Dott.

Not a question <ok> And if you had to say one of them performed to the best of their ability more times throughout their career, it's Dott easily <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Absolutely.

Postby kostasmad

If both of them had to play a game best of 35 in their top level, Stevens would have won 18-12...I totally agree with Bourne who wrote that Dott maximised his talent but Stevens didnt. On the other hand Dott was very poor the last couple of years and he recovered. Stevens looks like is going in the same path.

I will always consdider Stevens a better player (and joy to watch) than Dott. Some people say Stevens lost too many finals...True..But look at his opponents in these finals...Wiliams, Sullivan, Higgins, Robertson, Murphy...He won 2 of the 3 that he was favourite...Against Hendry and Doherty...

Stevens was too unlucky to have his prime when the top-4 were there...He would have won many rankers if one of the 4 was not present...It cost him too many finals...And its not as if he played bad...

By the way its a joke to compare Carter-Stevens...Stevens is too far ahead...

Postby GJ

kostasmad wrote:If both of them had to play a game best of 35 in their top level, Stevens would have won 18-12...I totally agree with Bourne who wrote that Dott maximised his talent but Stevens didnt. On the other hand Dott was very poor the last couple of years and he recovered. Stevens looks like is going in the same path.

I will always consdider Stevens a better player (and joy to watch) than Dott. Some people say Stevens lost too many finals...True..But look at his opponents in these finals...Wiliams, Sullivan, Higgins, Robertson, Murphy...He won 2 of the 3 that he was favourite...Against Hendry and Doherty...

Stevens was too unlucky to have his prime when the top-4 were there...He would have won many rankers if one of the 4 was not present...It cost him too many finals...And its not as if he played bad...

By the way its a joke to compare Carter-Stevens...Stevens is too far ahead...

spot on <cool> :bowdown:

Postby Alex0paul

[quote="kostasmad"]If both of them had to play a game best of 35 in their top level, Stevens would have won 18-12 [\quote]
They played a best of 33 during Stevens' prime and Dott still won.

Postby vodkadiet

When Stevens was at his best he was no doubt better than Dott, but consistency is just as important, which Dott has had for the most part.

People forget that Murphy played out of his skin to beat Stevens in 2005. Stevens was also very unlucky to lose to Ebdon in 2002, and Higgins in 2001. He was a phenomenal player.

The snooker that Stevens played to beat Higgins in the 2002 world quarter was as good as anything I have ever seen.

Stevens has been an unlucky player. Maybe he can find something during The Worlds? It wouldn't be a total shock to see him lift the trophy, even at this stage of his career.

Postby wheelsofsteel

vodkadiet wrote:When Stevens was at his best he was no doubt better than Dott, but consistency is just as important, which Dott has had for the most part.

People forget that Murphy played out of his skin to beat Stevens in 2005. Stevens was also very unlucky to lose to Ebdon in 2002, and Higgins in 2001. He was a phenomenal player.

The snooker that Stevens played to beat Higgins in the 2002 world quarter was as good as anything I have ever seen.

Stevens has been an unlucky player. Maybe he can find something during The Worlds? It wouldn't be a total shock to see him lift the trophy, even at this stage of his career.

Stevens collapsed in two world finals like a cheap shed. Or were they unlucky sheds?

Postby Smart

vodkadiet wrote:When Stevens was at his best he was no doubt better than Dott, but consistency is just as important, which Dott has had for the most part.

:bs:

Frame :love: Choker-Stevens

Postby Tubberlad

I agree and disagree...

Stevens was an excellent player, and I think 2000 World Final had a big effect on him. He didn't choke that one, Williams played out of his skin, but from there on, he always looked suspect in matches that went close.

In 2002, he blobbed against Ebdon. In 2004, Dott did nothing spectacular but did the job. 2005 he should have won had he had the killer instinct to turn the screw on day one. He led 7-3, and looked totally in control, so 10-6 was a disappointin lead to hold.

As for the 2007 quarter-final, the less said about that the better. Though his second session was one of the best displays I've seen at the Crucible. His 13-5 and 13-6 wins over Hendry and Higgins respectively also show that he had immense class, but he simply never delivered.

Postby GJ

frame <cool>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:Ronnie v Hendry
Hendry v Davis
Wattana v Carter

this one is the hardest one for me to judge. i can see arguments for both sides.

wild :ahh: