Post a reply

Re: Best young talents in the game?

Postby kostasmad

The only good thing that ever came out from Bristol was Portishead. You know i like you Bourne, but the kid does not have any balls...

Postby Witz78

kostasmad wrote:The only good thing that ever came out from Bristol was Portishead. You know i like you Bourne, but the kid does not have any balls...

thats cos hes already potted them all :D

Postby Bourne

Fact is he's achieved a lot, lot more than any of the other players on this list already :D

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Fact is he's achieved a lot, lot more than any of the other players on this list already :D

thats not hard is it so far all hes achieved is Stuart Bingham status of collecting minor events and doing very little in Ranking events to think this is his his 6th season on tour.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Fact is he's achieved a lot, lot more than any of the other players on this list already :D

thats not hard is it so far all hes achieved is Stuart Bingham status of collecting minor events and doing very little in Ranking events to think this is his his 6th season on tour.

All players take their own time to mature, Judd was in a different position to most players in that he had so much pressure on him straight away to follow in someone like O'Sullivan's footsteps because he did so well as a teenager. It's not Judd's fault <ok>

Postby Wildey

no its not judd fault but christ its getting serious when after 6 years a pro you not making any inroads against lesser players when the opportunity knocks.

Mark Joyce was there for him and he buckled its getting to be a very bad habit.

i was never nervous when he played Hendry i knew without a single doubt Hendry would beat him

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:no its not judd fault but christ its getting serious when after 6 years a pro you not making any inroads against lesser players when the opportunity knocks.

i was never nervous when he played Hendry i knew without a single doubt Hendry would beat him

:yadiya: :zzz:

Postby Witz78

Wild and other Trump haters,

read the following before yous claim Trump has done nothing in his career and has missed the boat.................

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 21 and 9 month when he won the Masters Qualifying event

TRUMP was 19 and 2 month when he won it <ok>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 22 and 3 months before he made it into the top 32

TRUMP was 19 and 9 months when he made it into the top 32 <ok>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 23 and 2 months before he played at the Crucible

TRUMP was 17 and 8 months when he made his Crucible debut :clap:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 23 and 10 months before he reached a ranking QF

TRUMP was 19 and 2 months when he first reached a ranking QF <ok>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 24 and 3 months before he made it into the top 16

TRUMP will be in the top 16 before Robbo providing he gets there by the start of 2013/14 :no:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 25 and 7 months when he first played in the Premier League

TRUMP was 20 and 1 month when he first played in the Premier League <ok>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Robertson was 28 and 3 months before he won the World Championship

TRUMP has 7 more attempts to win the World Championship at a younger age than Robbo :clap:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:no its not judd fault but christ its getting serious when after 6 years a pro you not making any inroads against lesser players when the opportunity knocks.

finally, confirmation that Hendry is a lesser player to Trump :clap:

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:Wild and other Trump haters,

read the following before yous claim Trump has done nothing in his career and has missed the boat.................

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRUMP will be in the top 16 before Robbo providing he gets there by the start of 2013/14 :santa:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRUMP has 7 more attempts to win the World Championship at a younger age than Robbo :clap:

Irrefutable :D

Postby markj147

Alex0paul WC wrote:
GJ wrote:i emailed barry to try and get vinnie c a wildcard for main tour just after robbo won the world title and he didnt get one

he is a good young player

rofl Calabrase's highest break in competition in measly 102 and hasn't even won the Oceana Championship

Where did you get that info from. He had 7 tons at the world champs in Syria.... http://ibsf.info/cgi-bin/ibsf.pl?A=ResultDetail&ID=21

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:Wild and other Trump haters,

TRUMP will be in the top 16 before Robbo providing he gets there by the start of 2013/14 :no:

Not often I'm a fan of stats, but this is some excellent work, and entirely relavent.

Mind you, Robertson was a late developer as a snooker player. If you'd told me when he was 21 he'd be World Champion I'd have said 'Neil who?'... but around 2006 or 2007 it became pretty clear that yes, he was most definitely World Champion material.

I also feel Trump will get there...

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

hendry fast asleep would be a better player than Trump

i said lesser player = Mark Joyce and many many others thats why he was never a competition in Germany or next time they play or in 20 years when hendry would be 60 <ok>

Postby Witz78

markj147 wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:
GJ wrote:i emailed barry to try and get vinnie c a wildcard for main tour just after robbo won the world title and he didnt get one

he is a good young player

rofl Calabrase's highest break in competition in measly 102 and hasn't even won the Oceana Championship

Where did you get that info from. He had 7 tons at the world champs in Syria.... http://ibsf.info/cgi-bin/ibsf.pl?A=ResultDetail&ID=21

yeh thats true, hed 4 100s, 2 101s and a 102 :D

Postby Bourne

Joyce was clearly on t'riffic form at that time, was beating all-comers and only narrowly lost Mark Williams, Judd wasn't quite on his game and that happens :huh2: Don't know why you're holding that against him.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

i said lesser player = Mark Joyce and many many others thats why he was never a competition in Germany or next time they play or in 20 years when hendry would be 60 <ok>

so cos Trumps not won a title yet and hes 21 that means he wont do anything in the next 20 years <doh>

u conveniently chosing to ignore my stats on Robbo and Trump :chin:

theres plenty of time for Trump to mature into a winner

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

so cos Trumps not won a title yet and hes 21 that means he wont do anything in the next 20 years <doh>

u conveniently chosing to ignore my stats on Robbo and Trump :chin:

theres plenty of time for Trump to mature into a winner

i thought you was ignoring stats :chin:

it took less than 24 hours <ok> and your back stat collecting :clap: i knew it wouldn't last.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:^ What wild means to say is - "you've stumped me good and proper" <cool>

NO WHAT I MEANT TO SAY WAS

Stats only count when they fit in to old wits agenda <ok>

Postby Roland

Yes a good topic and good read. Well done Witz for setting the record straight.

Judd Trump - well I've known about him since he was 11 and I watched him win the English under 19 championship aged 15 (bizarrely I was playing in a pro-am literally 200 yards from his match and his younger brother Jack won it aged 11 or 12 beating my mate and considerable player in the final - he'd come up with the family for Judd and entered for something to do!). I was impressed with Judd, he was very quiet and shy but when he was at the table you could tell he was quality. He was scoring big from good chances and murdered his older opponent who's name I don't remember. It's been a surprise that he's not won anything yet but he will. He was very good as a young player but is taking quite a while to adapt his game and learn the art of matchplay. He needs to retain the attacking game but learn about timing of when to attack and defend. He's too good not to get there in the end and he will be a force and a prolific junior career says he won't shy from winning.

Anthony McGill - First became aware when he won the "junior pot black" final at the Crucible which was shown on BBC several times. It wasn't the highest quality, but if Jimmy White says he will be around for a long time yet then he will be around for a long time yet. I've yet to see enough of him to form an opinion but red hair tends to suggest good tactical knowledge so let's see if that's the case.

Michael White - His name hit the radar because he obviously shares the same surname as a legend. Same surnames as previous greats tends to work wonders in snooker. Joe Davis/Steve Davis, Kirk Stevens/Matthew Stevens, Alex Higgins/John Higgins, Jimmy White/Michael White? I've watched youtube footage of him as a youngster and yes, he's one I've been looking forward to seeing climb the rankings and become a top 16 player. He's exciting, and he scores heavily. Following him on live scoring the qualifiers earlier this season confirmed this. So he's definitely one for the future.

Jack Lisowski - The name is becoming more and more familiar to everyone here. Snookerscene have touted him for a while and he writes a column in the magazine. He beat cancer at a young age, he has the story to capture the public. And then Smart saw him at the EPTC event held at the SWSA and singled him out as a great player. It's pretty obvious from watching him play that he is the real deal and without putting pressure on him I think he will win a ranking event before anyone else in this list, including Judd Trump.

Liu Chuang - I don't know if he's been mentioned in this thread but let no one forget he is only the 4th player in Crucible history to play at the venue at the age of 17 following Hendry, O'Sullivan and Trump. He gave O'Sullivan a minor scare in round 1 as the unknown quantity and he impressed. He slipped off tour which wouldn't happen today with rolling rankings and relied on a wildcard the following season, which didn't prove fruitful and he lost his card again but without another free chance the following season. He's only back this season but in that last season as a pro he was the only qualifier from round 1 to reach the final stage of the UK qualification so add that to reaching the Crucible and he obviously favours long frame formats. Does this mean he could win the big one and slip everyone's radar one day?

TT - shares the name with one of my favourite drummers , he is another unknown quantity for many of us. When I saw the list of professionals at the start of this season and read the name, the first reaction was to laugh at the thought of commentators trying to pronounce it (which isn't that hard to say really), but then as others have already said he is a kid of 16 and he gets 147s. You don't do that unless you're special.

Luca Brecel - Judd Trump aside, Luca has had more hype around him than any other young player. This kid was making 147s at 13! As Wild mentioned earlier, we've all seen his 147s on youtube and most of us knew of him when he as young as 11. There's been talk of him being slightly autistic. Autistic people can be a source of inspiration, possessing talents impossible for mere mortals so to say the prospect of seeing him compete at the highest level has me buzzing with anticipation is an understatement. But without understanding the true nature of his mental state, it is hard to say how his career will pan out. There is a lot of psychology at top level snooker, and as players such as Ronnie O'Sullivan and Shaun Murphy have found out the media and fanbase aren't always accepting of eccentric behaviour which belies the talent. Monique probably knows more about him that most here so I hope she can give us a better understanding of him.

------------------------------------

On a sidenote I was on internet forums several years ago with the likes of Wild, Smart and GJ so they will probably remember me touting the young players of the day back then. I don't have to hand any of the posts I wrote but I thought 2011/12 would see the dominant era of the following players challenging Williams, Higgins and O'Sullivan:

Ding Junhui - I thought he would be world champion by now
Jamie Cope - he is finally top 16, but he is about 5 maximum breaks short of where I thought he'd be
Mark Allen - established but still to get that first ranker (or even final?)
Mark Selby - enough said
Neil Robertson - enough said
Shaun Murphy - enough said
Lui Song - no it was Liang Wenbo I was talking about :redneck:

Postby GJ

oneballl was rather scathing of robbo in smarts rise and fall of robbo thread

:chin: :?

Postby Roland

Selective memory GJ. Without straying too far off topic Robbo was in the bracket just below top 16 along with Selby and Murphy at around the same age so it was clear for a number of years he'd be a top 16 and better player. Also he used to beat Murphy a lot when Murphy was World Champion I seem to remember. But for him to win at the Crucible wasn't a shock by any means, he's had the potential for years but at one point, probably around the time of Smart goading you (and possibly Robbo himself actually reading the goading thinking it was directed at him when it was at you) he hit a big lull and seemed out of his depth. I doubted him around that time I admit but I was completely wrong and have admitted that before. Robbo is quality.

I still think Dott didn't play half as well in the final as he did against Selby and if he had then it could've been a different result, but I don't mean that in any disrespectful way to Robbo because you don't get World Champions who don't deserve to be.

Postby GJ

sonny

<ok> :)

i never doubted him if im honest as all champions go through a rough phase after winning their first couple of titles as they are hunted instead of hunter

Postby Roland

That means it's Selby's turn next :redneck:

Seriously, I'd love it if someone like Zhanger or Trump won the worlds this year too

Postby GJ

zhanger is quality and will do really well i know it was only live scoring but wallace twice was 60 ahead and zhanger cleared the table