Post a reply

Re: The People's Champion Mark IV

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Yes we Brits are still a little protective of our people's champ title. I know Robbo came over with very little cash, but like it or not he's just not very 'street'. The image of your typical Aussia is surf board under the arm not cue case. Health, sun and vitality and not pasty faced, not seen the sun in his eyes, benson wedged between thumb and forefinger and a large vodka on the go...
I'm not saying Robbo should try and cultivate this image cos he's world champion and on the top of his game, and what does he care, but in my opinion the only two people's champions have been Alex and Jimmy, a couple of street urchins dragged up and raised in the darkest dankest back street halls, playing for money as a way of life.
Ronnie never did this and though he's always been incredible to watch, he'll never be a people's champ.
Sorry Jim for the street urchin bit, I'm sure your ma and pa did you proud..

yes but by the late 80s early 90s the world had moved on so much especially with snooker

when Alex and Jimmy came to the fore they had to go out and meet the players and meet the people in the street during the 60s and 70s respectively by the time Ronnie came along everything was in place for him he did not have to do the groundwork and the same for the future generations its up to them to make the most of the chance they get.

Postby gallantrabbit

Sure Wild I'm just reminiscing. Would be nice to have an unrespectable with genuine talent on his way up though. That's the way I remember most snooker players. Part toe-rag part talent rofl

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:That's why I think British crowds won't generally root for him, for the simple fact that he's an Aussie.

well said chumba its about nationality mate

and i dont wnat robbo to be a peoples champion i prefer when he is disliked as it fires him up but for tubbs to say he doesnt fit the criteria i have showed he does

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Bourne wrote:That's why I think British crowds won't generally root for him, for the simple fact that he's an Aussie.

and i dont wnat robbo to be a peoples champion i prefer when he is disliked as it fires him up but for tubbs to say he doesnt fit the criteria i have showed he does

ultimately the proof is in the eating with bums on seat if the people want to take you in to their hearts they wont care what nationality you are.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:

ultimately the proof is in the eating with bums on seat if the people want to take you in to their hearts they wont care what nationality you are.

the welsh showed good taste last week and cheered robbo despite random moaning about it :rude: :afro: <cool>

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Because he was playing a 'pom' :redneck:

<laugh> rofl

As i say in alot of cases a peoples champion is a player who comes close but loses alot of finals

maybe selby is the man then :wave: :redneck:

Postby Monique

GJ I'm not sure Neil would be fired up. I remember him in Hamm in 2008 looking really down because of the (unfair) stick he was getting on the Internet at the time. Ronnie told him "Whateva you do, you can't please everyone, yanno ... so just don't read it" and, for what I know, Neil took the advice.
I think Neil certainly has what it takes to be very popular. To be the "people's champion"? That's hard to tell. As Wild says it's an emotional reaction more than anything else and what triggers it is not always easy to nail.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:GJ I'm not sure Neil would be fired up. I remember him in Hamm in 2008 looking really down because of the (unfair) stick he was getting on the Internet at the time. Ronnie told him "Whateva you do, you can't please everyone, yanno ... so just don't read it" and, for what I know, Neil took the advice.
I think Neil certainly has what it takes to be very popular. To be the "people's champion"? That's hard to tell. As Wild says it's an emotional reaction more than anything else and what triggers it is not always easy to nail.

yes monique i know what you mean and robbos up turn in form happened around that time by winning bahrain so ronnie gave him good advice

<cool> :D

Postby Tubberlad

I certainly think Robertson is very popular, and will continue to be popular in years to come. But many people have mentioned the fact that he's not from the Home Nations, and it's very hard to imagine him being a People Champion in my mind. Seemingly a very nice guy who is sure to have a decent following beind him, but I think Trump could be the man in years to come from a fans point of view. He already divides opinion in a matter not disimilar to Ronnie.

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
GJ wrote:Monique

this article from a fellow member of ours smart rexy aka stalin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A42112496

i think that article was what robbo was referring to as in undeserved stick

<laugh>

HALL of FAME 606 Material <ok> :wave:

rofl rofl :wave: :wave:

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I certainly think Robertson is very popular, and will continue to be popular in years to come. But many people have mentioned the fact that he's not from the Home Nations, and it's very hard to imagine him being a People Champion in my mind. Seemingly a very nice guy who is sure to have a decent following beind him, but I think Trump could be the man in years to come from a fans point of view. He already divides opinion in a matter not disimilar to Ronnie.

mate the only devided opinion Judd Trump devides is.

IS HE rubbish OR IS HE NOT <ok>

that was never a opinion that divided anyone on Ronnie. <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:I certainly think Robertson is very popular, and will continue to be popular in years to come. But many people have mentioned the fact that he's not from the Home Nations, and it's very hard to imagine him being a People Champion in my mind. Seemingly a very nice guy who is sure to have a decent following beind him, but I think Trump could be the man in years to come from a fans point of view. He already divides opinion in a matter not disimilar to Ronnie.

mate the only devided opinion Judd Trump devides is.

IS HE poo OR IS HE NOT <ok>

that was never a opinion that divided anyone on Ronnie. <laugh>

:emu:

Postby Tubberlad

<laugh>

I don't think he's rubbish, far from it actually. I think he's very raw and struggling to fulfill his potential. I think he has the natural talent to be outstanding, but his lack of success is worrying. I love watching the guy play.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:<laugh>

I don't think he's rubbish, far from it actually. I think he's very raw and struggling to fulfill his potential. I think he has the natural talent to be outstanding, but his lack of success is worrying. I love watching the guy play.

i love watching him play also <ok>

in Germany he was brilliant enjoyed every second of his performance :redneck:

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:With a favourable round 1 draw, i fancy Judd to make it to the quarters at least this year at Sheffield.

:D I'd like him to make a run in China first and ease a bit of the pressure <ok>

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:With a favourable round 1 draw, i fancy Judd to make it to the quarters at least this year at Sheffield.

:D I'd like him to make a run in China first and ease a bit of the pressure <ok>

a good run in the PTC Finals and the China Open and he can almost enter the Worlds relaxed with a top 16 spot for the start of next season in the bag <ok>

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:

a good run in the PTC Finals and the China Open and he can almost enter the Worlds relaxed with a top 16 spot for the start of next season in the bag <ok>

Spot on :excited: Can't wait to see wild eating his words on this rofl He'll physically self-combust :wild2: :wild2: :wild2:

Postby Wildey

well he should get in to the last 32 draw at least if he has any sort of future thats for sure <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Especially when Trump takes Hendrys place in the elite after Sheffield haha

Trump can play until hes a 1000 he wont get close to hendry in any elite <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

It's worrying that Trump has not played at the Crucible since 2007. He was really good that night too.

Postby Bourne

Tubberlad wrote:It's worrying that Trump has not played at the Crucible since 2007. He was really good that night too.

It's worrying but I guess it makes all the wins in the future all worthwhile and even sweeter <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Spot on :excited: Can't wait to see wild eating his words on this rofl He'll physically self-combust :wild2: :wild2: :wild2:

getting in the top 16 isnt proof of anything christ Stuart bingham is close <doh>

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:It's worrying that Trump has not played at the Crucible since 2007. He was really good that night too.

Even Jimmys played there more recently :bowdown: :bowdown:

(ok, it was at the Legends event last year)

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

Even Jimmys played there more recently :bowdown: :bowdown:

(ok, it was at the Legends event last year)

lucky there wasent a qualifying competition or Barry Pinches would have got on the legends tour instead of him <laugh>