Post a reply

Re: Well done John Higgins

Postby Caledonian Craig

Oh I am not saying it's flawless but one thing is well nigh certain is that by awarding more points for world titles won wouldn't change the final order in any way. Hendry's lead would be extended and Davis positioned would be extended but Higgins and O'Sullivan would remain the same as they've won equal world titles. The basic gist of the results was to add in all relevant stats but if anybody has any ideas to tweak the system I am all ears.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Witz has hit the nail on the head. It IS a ridiculous way to rank players (see his 10 world title to 5, one point extra argument).

I just can't believe that a Welsh Open win, probably the least prestigious ranker, now automatically makes John Higgins a better player when it was debatable before? It's ridiculous to me. It remains debatable as to whether Ronnie or John is the better player. I respect Craig as a poster, but this is a very flawed poitns system.

with all stats its a talking point and nothing concrete the same goes for centuries average cobblers but when it comes to rankings i think craigs way is more acurate than the centuries one :redneck:

Postby PLtheRef

For all John has gone through I'm thrilled for him. I know how much losing his dad has upset him and that he is a man on a mission, and is determined to ensure he wins number four. I reckon he will, and 3 world titles in 4 years is some going

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Witz has hit the nail on the head. It IS a ridiculous way to rank players (see his 10 world title to 5, one point extra argument).

I just can't believe that a Welsh Open win, probably the least prestigious ranker, now automatically makes John Higgins a better player when it was debatable before? It's ridiculous to me. It remains debatable as to whether Ronnie or John is the better player. I respect Craig as a poster, but this is a very flawed poitns system.

with all stats its a talking point and nothing concrete the same goes for centuries average cobblers but when it comes to rankings i think craigs way is more acurate than the centuries one :redneck:

I think centuries should have very little to do in deciding who's better than who. Anyway, these discussion do my head in <laugh> you can prove anything with stats. I could sit here firing out stats to show why I think Ronnie is better, but I really can't be bothered :emu:

Postby Caledonian Craig

At the end of the day the acid test is title wins. To win titles you need to beat the best around and all aspects of your game is tested such as cueing, positional play, mental stamina, concentration, confidence and frame of mind and so in those events the cream comes to the top and if it doesn't then obviously that player just isn't quite good enough.

Things that cast grave doubts on Ronnie's claim to be the GOAT is it is open to debate if he is the greatest of this time. He also has made the same amount of world finals as Graeme Dott playing in the same era so he has certainly not done himself justice at the worlds.

I will contemplate awarding 5 points for world titles, three points for world runner-up and one point for world semi-finalist would that be fairer? Also look to factor in time spent ranked as world No.1 as well as UK semi and Masters semis.

Postby GJ

centuries are irrlevant just ask robbo and williams its about winning frame

centuries :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby Caledonian Craig

GJ wrote:centuries are irrlevant just ask robbo and williams its about winning frame

centuries :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Absolutely agree. Another reason I don't particularly like to factor in centuries are because some players don't really see a century as the be all and end all. Especially, Mark Williams has a habit if the frame is over and he nears 100 and runs a tad out of position, instead of taking on a tough pot he'll try a cross double or other trick shot to please the crowds and hence why his century count is pretty low compared to other legends.

Postby Tubberlad

I agree. Williams is almost at 300 centuries which is pretty scary considering how many opportunities he turns down...

Postby GJ

craig

spot on after a player gets 75 points ist just glorified exhibitions shots in effect as they mean little as the frame is won.

A certain poster makes out centuries are so vital as its his only way of making out his idol is in the same league has hendo because in titles won he is planets apart from goat hendo.

Postby Caledonian Craig

Key as well is that a century/maximum only wins you one frame. All centuries/maximums are mere eye candy for the spectators. It tells us only that their positional play has been spot on in that frame and that is it. I mean if they are so important then how come we don't crown world champions by how many centuries you make per year.

Postby GJ

Caledonian Craig wrote:Key as well is that a century/maximum only wins you one frame. All centuries/maximums are mere eye candy for the spectators. It tells us only that their positional play has been spot on in that frame and that is it. I mean if they are so important then how come we don't crown world champions by how many centuries you make per year.

craig you talk alot of sense :D <cool>

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Caledonian Craig wrote:Key as well is that a century/maximum only wins you one frame. All centuries/maximums are mere eye candy for the spectators. It tells us only that their positional play has been spot on in that frame and that is it. I mean if they are so important then how come we don't crown world champions by how many centuries you make per year.

craig you talk alot of sense :D <cool>

Stephen Hendry response to making a max was WHO CARES? he loves making breaks but if he dont win they mean rubbish.

Postby Tubberlad

I think it does count in so much as break building ability, but then you have people like Williams who turns down a plethora of centuries.

Centuries and maximums are wonderful though and are part of what I love about the game. I like to see snooker played artistically, I appreciate and respect players like Hendry, Robertson & Higgins, but I'd be more inclined to stay in to watch the likes of O'Sullivan, Williams, Selby, Ding and even Trump. But obviously that has nothing to do with greatness.

I'd go Hendry, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Davis & Williams in that order, and it would take a lot to change that opinion.

Postby GJ

Yes just think a player makes 3 maximums in a best of 19 match but loses the match 10-9

he lost the match thats what matters

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Yes just think a player makes 3 maximums in a best of 19 match but loses the match 10-9

Willie Thorne playing Murdo MacLeod he makes 3 centuries and a 90 and lost 5-4 <laugh>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:Yes just think a player makes 3 maximums in a best of 19 match but loses the match 10-9

Willie Thorne playing Murdo MacLeod he makes 3 centuries and a 90 and lost 5-4 <laugh>

that bloody blue

rofl <laugh>

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:

Murdo <ok>

Postby Caledonian Craig

Cheers GJ but all it is is common sense.

It is the same that people don't understand how snooker has changed in the past 20 or 30 years. Today it is easier to get centuries as frames are much more open as players are far more attack-minded so balls get spread into good positions for big breaks.

In the 1980's the game was far more safety orientated especially with Steve Davis ruling the game. Players played a far more cagey game and table often ended up messy with reds on cushions after safety battles making it much more difficult to hit centuries. Also remember the attacking screw shot into the pack to develop reds hadn't been invented yet.

The 1990's did have a few more attack-minded players coming through but players did try tying up Stephen Hendry in safety battles knowing they couldn't pot him off the table hence, again we got scrappy frames and tougher to score centuries.

Postby Rocket_ron

GJ wrote:A certain poster makes out centuries are so vital as its his only way of making out his idol is in the same league has hendo because in titles won he is planets apart from goat hendo.

does certain poster like bruce lee? and final fantasy 8?

Postby GJ

Rocket_ron wrote:
GJ wrote:A certain poster makes out centuries are so vital as its his only way of making out his idol is in the same league has hendo because in titles won he is planets apart from goat hendo.

does certain poster like bruce lee? and final fantasy 8?

no comment :wave: :wave:

he does drunken outbursts on youtube thats all i will say :idea: <ok>

Postby GJ

Rocket_ron wrote:is it the same person who is trying to blame me for hacking?

whats a sausage

i defended you earlier mate on 606

just because he hacks peoples accounts no need to blacken other peoples names

:wild2: <doh>

Postby Rocket_ron

GJ wrote:
Rocket_ron wrote:is it the same person who is trying to blame me for hacking?

whats a sausage

i defended you earlier mate on 606

just because he hacks peoples accounts no need to blacken other peoples names

:wild2: <doh>

yes i noticed, thanks supper aussie <ok>

well when 606 closes down then that will be the last of him

Postby Caledonian Craig

If anybody wants me too I'll go away and work on a new chart of stats and scoring system and add in new stats and will rry to post it up here in the near future. But only if you people want to see it. If I am boring you all with it just say so and I won't bother.

Postby Rocket_ron

Caledonian Craig wrote:If anybody wants me too I'll go away and work on a new chart of stats and scoring system and add in new stats and will rry to post it up here in the near future. But only if you people want to see it. If I am boring you all with it just say so and I won't bother.

i love reading your stats, your stats are cool unlike rochdales finest

Postby GJ

it would be a pleasure craig

cheers

Postby GJ

craig

could you factor in robbo to see how far behind he is