Post a reply

Re: Is there a case to abolish the miss rule?

Postby Wildey

some interesting points by the statman on TSF

If the player knows that only the first two (or however many) attempts will be replaced, then the Rules are actively inviting him to deliberately not hit at the third attempt. So a Rule that ostensibly exists to uphold the principle of sportsmanship by not deliberately fouling, actually ends up encouraging it.

Picture the scenario; you're snookered behind the brown on the last red, about 18 inches into the table from a top corner pocket, with a relatively easy escape route, the colours are on their spots and you're 20 in front. You play the first attempt wanting to catch it fine to leave the white on the top cushion - and miss. Balls replaced, you try again with a bit of compensation after the first attempt but still fail. It is replaced again and you know that the next effort will be punished not by replacement but ball in hand for your opponent.

So you're now 12 ahead. A hit in the red is likely to leave it up; a failure will leave the white in the D with a long pot and a potential clearance opportunity. I reckon you will decide, instead of making any attempt at the escape, you will blatantly just play the cue-ball into one of the baulk colours to send it safe on the side cushion. Your opponent will still have cue-ball in hand and still have an easyish long pot - but his chances of clearing up are greatly lessened.

The scenario could just as easily be snookered behind the black on one of the baulk colours - in fact that's probably an even better illustration.

If someone turns round and says, well a blatant deliberate miss will still be allowed to be called, then you are putting the exact subjectivity into it that you are trying to remove and the boundaries of what look like deliberate (or not) misses will gradually become redrawn.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Rule is perfect as it is, but the ramifications of any changes need to be studied very carefully to ensure that it doesn't stifle the general principles of the game and turn it into a strategically completely different game.

Original Source: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board/sh ... z1EdqYCmV4
TSF - TheSnookerForum.com

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:some interesting points by the statman on TSF

If the player knows that only the first two (or however many) attempts will be replaced, then the Rules are actively inviting him to deliberately not hit at the third attempt. So a Rule that ostensibly exists to uphold the principle of sportsmanship by not deliberately fouling, actually ends up encouraging it.

Picture the scenario; you're snookered behind the brown on the last red, about 18 inches into the table from a top corner pocket, with a relatively easy escape route, the colours are on their spots and you're 20 in front. You play the first attempt wanting to catch it fine to leave the white on the top cushion - and miss. Balls replaced, you try again with a bit of compensation after the first attempt but still fail. It is replaced again and you know that the next effort will be punished not by replacement but ball in hand for your opponent.

So you're now 12 ahead. A hit in the red is likely to leave it up; a failure will leave the white in the D with a long pot and a potential clearance opportunity. I reckon you will decide, instead of making any attempt at the escape, you will blatantly just play the cue-ball into one of the baulk colours to send it safe on the side cushion. Your opponent will still have cue-ball in hand and still have an easyish long pot - but his chances of clearing up are greatly lessened.

The scenario could just as easily be snookered behind the black on one of the baulk colours - in fact that's probably an even better illustration.

If someone turns round and says, well a blatant deliberate miss will still be allowed to be called, then you are putting the exact subjectivity into it that you are trying to remove and the boundaries of what look like deliberate (or not) misses will gradually become redrawn.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Rule is perfect as it is, but the ramifications of any changes need to be studied very carefully to ensure that it doesn't stifle the general principles of the game and turn it into a strategically completely different game.

Original Source: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board/sh ... z1EdqYCmV4
TSF - TheSnookerForum.com

Indeed, but Statsy scenario is based on "ball in hand in the D". It was my point from the start that this isn't a good option because of this kind of possible abuse of it. Now "ball in hand free on table" is a different proposition entirely and a MUCH bigger incentive to try to hit. I know that is is a massive advantage given to the non offending player, but it's also a massive incentive to really try to escape the snooker.

The sentence I have put in bold is the core of it all. Ramifications have to be examined carefully. That can only be done by actually trying - not in a ranking event of course - but in a serious event under monitoring from experienced refs.

Postby Wildey

yes but the same scenario applies to ball in hand anywhere....

if you put colors safe to make the clearance harder.....its even more essential if theres ball in hand anywhere.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:yes but the same scenario applies to ball in hand anywhere....

if you put colors safe to make the clearance harder.....its even more essential if theres ball in hand anywhere.

It's a lot harder to get everything safe when the proposal is ball in hand from anywhere. How often do we hear the comment after an in-off "well that's not a bad result, he won't mind the 4 points penalty". Because going back to the D is a lot safer than staying near the top of the table more often than not.
Ball in hand anywhere would be the biggest possible incentive to try and hit.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:yes but the same scenario applies to ball in hand anywhere....

It's a lot harder to get everything safe when the proposal is ball in hand from anywhere. How often do we hear the comment after an in-off "well that's not a bad result, he won't mind the 4 points penalty". Because going back to the D is a lot safer than staying near the top of the table more often than not.
Ball in hand anywhere would be the biggest possible incentive to try and hit.

if you are 60 + points behind with 67 on you need the black on so you can get position off it if that black is on a cush it makes the task far harder so if you fear ball in hand or a nothing shot that might leave the tablle wide open for a counter under the current miss rule knocking a colour or the black safe woulds be a miss and replaced under this proposed change 3 is the limit on the miss therefore thats that.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Nothing prevents you to do that under the current rule neither and I'm sure it's done.

under the current rule a foul is a miss... balls replaced so that 67 point lead is reduced each time you foul so knocking a colour safe wouldn't benefit you but if you know the limit how many times that ball is replaced you can play a deliberate foul just to mess up the table to make it far harder for the other player to counter him.

Postby GJ

for me the current rule falls down if there is 1 red left on table and a player misses it be a tiny margin and a miss is called anyway.

Now if there are lotsd of reds and a player is taking a tougher route to elave things safe i have no issue with a miss being called over and over.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:for me the current rule falls down if there is 1 red left on table and a player misses it be a tiny margin and a miss is called anyway.

Now if there are lotsd of reds and a player is taking a tougher route to elave things safe i have no issue with a miss being called over and over.

my issue with the miss rule is that they do take all reds in to consideration.

the same scenario you mentioned 1 red on the table the object ball should be the only judgement point to that shot.

if the player has made a good effort in hitting that red then its a no miss it doesn't matter how many easier reds there are if hitting that means a break for the opponent

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:for me the current rule falls down if there is 1 red left on table and a player misses it be a tiny margin and a miss is called anyway.

the same scenario you mentioned 1 red on the table the object ball should be the only judgement point to that shot.

if the player has made a good effort in hitting that red then its a no miss it doesn't matter how many easier reds there are if hitting that means a break for the opponent

mate it does matter number of reds that are left IMO

because if there is 1 safe red and the rest are open the player who is trying to get out of the snooker by hitting the safe red should be punished and the current miss rule is fair for that example otherwise what is the player who set the snooker gaining for their well led snooker :roll:

Postby Monique

agreed. Unless in the very rare case where it's an (almost) impossible snooker, the main issue with the rule indeed happens when only very few reds remain on the table. But then precisely ball in hand in the D will rarely give the non offending player any significant advantage. Maybe an option could then be for the non-offending player to have the possibility to ask his opponent to play ball in hand from the D.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

mate it does matter number of reds that are left IMO

because if there is 1 safe red and the rest are open the player who is trying to get out of the snooker by hitting the safe red should be punished and the current miss rule is fair for that example otherwise what is the player who set the snooker gaining for their well led snooker :roll:

thats the point a player wont try to hit a unsafe red thats the equivalent of throwing the frame away but what the miss rule says at the moment is go on hit a red any red it doesn't matter if you lose the frame.

Postby GJ

the key thing is how important are snookers and how much should a player gain from setting a good snooker

its a tough one :?

Postby Wildey

its not rocket science what a good attempt is or a player making a meal of it...

the refs are there to do a job at the moment they no more than a glorified ball boy they got to take responsibility and make judgement calls based on the shot in hand and not a blanket rule on everything.

Postby Sickpotter

IMO the refs need to apply some judgement on the miss calls rather than making it automatic.

I completely disagree with ball in hand anywhere on the table. Snookers are intended to yield a foul and/or a possible opportunity, not a guaranteed one. To allow a player to place the cueball anywhere is to make sure a snooker will yield an opening.

IMO the miss rule in itself is not bad, it's the automatic application of it no matter the escape attempted that's wrong.

I think applying the miss rule correctly is quite simple.....

1 rail escape on, you must hit the ball.

2 rail escape, no one rail escape on....apply some judgement. Professional refs should have a reasonable idea as to what was a genuine attempt vs. what wasn't. It's less clear at the amateur level but at the professional level we shouldn't get too many bad calls.

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:IMO the refs need to apply some judgement on the miss calls rather than making it automatic.

I completely disagree with ball in hand anywhere on the table. Snookers are intended to yield a foul and/or a possible opportunity, not a guaranteed one. To allow a player to place the cueball anywhere is to make sure a snooker will yield an opening.

IMO the miss rule in itself is not bad, it's the automatic application of it no matter the escape attempted that's wrong.

2 rail escape, no one rail escape on....apply some judgement. Professional refs should have a reasonable idea as to what was a genuine attempt vs. what wasn't. It's less clear at the amateur level but at the professional level we shouldn't get too many bad calls.

i sit there at a venue or at home and i can judge it pretty well whats acceptable and whats not at pro level surely a ref can. as you say a easy escape shouldn't award much points anyway its just pace but there are some snookers where its extreamly hard to hit and the player gets close on effort 2 its awarded a miss he doesn't get that close again 10 miss later he gets it 40 points awarded where second attempt was good enough.

Postby GJ

wild and sick

thats the point though they dont judge it well apart from the retired alan chamberlain other refs automatically call miss miss miss

so something needs to be done

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild and sick

thats the point though they dont judge it well apart from the retired alan chamberlain other refs automatically call miss miss miss

so something needs to be done

YES

gag them rofl

Postby Bourne

davehendon David Hendon
Interestingly (or not if you don't care either way) backstage most players seem against any change to the miss rule
1 minute ago

:D

Postby GJ

dave hendon on twitter

Interestingly (or not if you don't care either way) backstage most players seem against any change to the miss rule

:afro: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Roland

The players know where they are with the miss rule. I admit I was kinda going with the idea of free table after 3 consecutive misses because for a start that'll stop the one about forfeit of frame (which I felt for Maguire when he had 2 failed to attempts to hit a baulk colour when tight in the middle of the pack and could see the black even though it was nigh on impossible to hit without using all sorts of extensions and spiders) and also it'll stop one good snooker winning a silly amount of points.

Anyway, not changing is fine by me.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The players know where they are with the miss rule. I admit I was kinda going with the idea of free table after 3 consecutive misses because for a start that'll stop the one about forfeit of frame (which I felt for Maguire when he had 2 failed to attempts to hit a baulk colour when tight in the middle of the pack and could see the black even though it was nigh on impossible to hit without using all sorts of extensions and spiders) and also it'll stop one good snooker winning a silly amount of points.

Anyway, not changing is fine by me.

but i think skillful attempts to get out of snooker will be a thing of a past if 3 miss and free table or in the D is introduced.

more and more players will opt for the easier escape and cross fingers with a hit and pray.

Postby Roland

Yes in the same match John Higgins was getting out of a snooker playing off 2 cushions trying to clip the red and it was good to watch because he got progressively closer and in the end sacrificed 12 or 16 points to get a good white and it was a great shot in the end. He would've been forced into a different shot if the rule was changed. But that was true foul and a miss because he had easier alternatives. Sometimes when a player is playing for the easiest ball to hit and it's a difficult shot he should be given the benefit of the doubt more if the white doesn't finish short. That criteria should be used more.

Postby GJ

i agree if its choice btween current ruleor any of the other suggestions i say stick with the current rule

if the refs would show more discretion it would be good but as that wont happen im happy with the current rule

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:if the refs would show more discretion it would be good but as that wont happen im happy with the current rule

i think that and if i was a player in any sport id expect that from the ref but in snooker for whatever reason

a) players dont want discretion .

b) refs are scared to show discretion.

so where do you go with that ?

as a fan it irritates me that a very hard escape comes close to the red on the 1st or 2nd attempt and never got that close again 30 or 40 points later.

Postby Wildey

according to the ferret on TSF The miss rule will be staying as it is for the immediate future with 40 out of 63 players wanting to keep it as it is.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:according to the ferret on TSF The miss rule will be staying as it is for the immediate future with 40 out of 63 players wanting to keep it as it is.

:hatoff:

ball in hand mugs can :boo:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:according to the ferret on TSF The miss rule will be staying as it is for the immediate future with 40 out of 63 players wanting to keep it as it is.

:hatoff:

ball in hand mugs can :boo:

lets take a wild guess which way did the shootout comentator jimmy white vote :chin:

Postby PLtheRef

Wild wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:IMO the refs need to apply some judgement on the miss calls rather than making it automatic.

i sit there at a venue or at home and i can judge it pretty well whats acceptable and whats not at pro level surely a ref can. as you say a easy escape shouldn't award much points anyway its just pace but there are some snookers where its extreamly hard to hit and the player gets close on effort 2 its awarded a miss he doesn't get that close again 10 miss later he gets it 40 points awarded where second attempt was good enough.

But wild, youre looking straight at a monitor screen, on the TV whereas a referee will be looking at it from a different angle