Post a reply

Re: How highly do you rate Ken Doherty?

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
jojo wrote:i rate him very highly i put him in the same bracket as the likes of ebdon and parrot doherty as has been mentioned had to contend with some very fine players throughout his career when you think he started off he had the likes of jimmy and hendry at their best then the likes of williams higgins and o sullivan came into the picture

they call him crafty ken but he was actually a very fluent player in his time

i rate Ebdon and Parrot higher than Doherty <ok>

theyve achieved more and had a longer sustained period at the top.

I would agree with that, but there's no question that Doherty holds a place not too far behind them. He was very good in all departments, no obvious weaknesses, and a nice tally of rankers to his name.

Postby Eirebilly

Witz78 wrote:Id question what the nickname Crafty Ken actually refers to though..........

Well Witz please enlighten us, with your pearls of wisdom, as to what you think it refers too then....

Postby Smart

Eirebilly wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Id question what the nickname Crafty Ken actually refers to though..........

Well Witz please enlighten us, with your pearls of wisdom, as to what you think it refers too then....

does it mean he is good at mending things like broken shoes or a broken window.........................he crafts things out aka crafty Ken :idea:

Postby GJ

I would guess it refers to him being smart and astute in tactical situations

Postby Tubberlad

Smart wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:

does it mean he is good at mending things like broken shoes or a broken window.........................he crafts things out aka crafty Ken :idea:

I can believe that Ken would make a fine cobbler :)

Postby Roland

Wasn't it Hazel that came out with Crafty Ken?

Anyway, I was given a slot to interview him last week but it was early afternoon on a weekday so I couldn't make it. The interview will happen, but the calendar is so stacked he's always on the move and I need to get him at a quiet time. Bloody Hearn <laugh>

Maybe I should ask him about his nights out - got any stories I can put to him? :evilgrin:

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:Wasn't it Hazel that came out with Crafty Ken?

Anyway, I was given a slot to interview him last week but it was early afternoon on a weekday so I couldn't make it. The interview will happen, but the calendar is so stacked he's always on the move and I need to get him at a quiet time. Bloody Hearn <laugh>

Maybe I should ask him about his nights out - got any stories I can put to him? :evilgrin:

Hand him a deck of cards & ask him to deal a couple of hands of Poker, That'll break the ice. He loves his cards.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Witz78 wrote:Poker ?

Who said anything about Ken having to play cards.........

I said it to Sonny, I didn't say it to you. <laugh>

How'd you get on in Pool anyway, with no tip. Win?

Postby N_Castle07

My best memory of Doherty is when he defeated Hendry to become World Champion. Hendry was undefeated at the World Championship for a record 29 matches at that point.

Postby Eirebilly

Ken is a bit of a silvertongue when it comes to the ladies as well. Give him a few pints and he definately becomes crafty :wave:

Postby wheelsofsteel

wheelsofsteel wrote:A former world champion - who beat Hendry at his best - and a runner-up a few times as well.

Also lost to Hendry in the UK final when he played like a God and Williams when he was the best player in the world.

On another day (or days) he'd be a legend instead of just being very good

I couldn't agree with myself more

Postby Eirebilly

wheelsofsteel wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:A former world champion - who beat Hendry at his best - and a runner-up a few times as well.

Also lost to Hendry in the UK final when he played like a God and Williams when he was the best player in the world.

On another day (or days) he'd be a legend instead of just being very good

I couldn't agree with myself more

Agreed tg <cool>

Postby Witz78

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Poker ?

Who said anything about Ken having to play cards.........

I said it to Sonny, I didn't say it to you. <laugh>

How'd you get on in Pool anyway, with no tip. Win?

borrowed a stick that felt a bit light and had an 8mm tip compared to the 12mm i prefer but in the practice games beforehand i won 7/8 games and got used to it. Won my singles game in the actual league game but that didnt stop us being 5-1 down at the end of the singles games <doh> Played the 1st doubles game but the cider wasnt going down too great so i just went all out attack and we lost it so game over at 1-6 down in best of 10 so hometime for me and left the rest to play out the dead rubbers rofl